Rebalance advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon.H

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have been a lurker for a while now, I was hoping to get some help & advice please...

I qualified in L&P with CND a few years ago. But after not much trying I gave up.
I have recently dusted off my tools and have tried a few sets again.

I tried to rebalance my own, but got so frustrated that I took them off altogether. I found that to file 3 nails, it took me 2 hours just to file them down.
I found that as I filed, there seemed to be more and more lifting appearing.
I have added a picture, this was after filing them down, there wasnt much lifting at all when I began!
Please help, my friend wants me to rebalance her nails tomorrow, but im actually thinking about giving up altogether and offering her Shellac instead.

*I have Geegs & Marians books, but I just cant seem to understand when to stop/carry on filing! *

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry geeks, having troubles with the photo!

I was about to post something but you've saved me a job...get Gigi Rouse's Nailclass book. It will change your life! I'm not kidding. I'm sat here doing my own rebalance after reading it and the amount of time I've saved filing is unreal. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420830523.645901.jpg it's taken me 10 mins if that to file my left hand (and I had gel polish over it)

Sorry I've just noticed you have Gigi's book! Are you maybe filing over the lifting rather than below it?

Yes they are great books!
Before I gave up I was able to do a good thin set on myself (but gave up when I didnt have any willing models)

I had filled until the lifted part came off, but then I realised there was more lifting on the edge then.

I am lost, i used to have a dvd to watch that we were given on the course, but for the life of me I cant find it anywhere! Typical.

If you're fighting a lot of lifting then a rebalance is going to be time consuming, and if the lifting is really bad then soaking off and doing a new set is the best plan.

What you need to do is stop the lifting. Look at your prep and application and try and work out why you get the lifting. Eliminate that and then rebalancing is a doddle.

Thank you both.
It took me 2.5 hrs to do my friends today (which is the same time for me to apply) They had been on for 3 weeks.
I am sooo darn chuffed with them, they look gorgeous and so much more natural than the set I applied.
Im so glad I didnt give up and soak them off.
Phew!

Latest posts

Back