Rebalance on gel nails with glued on tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRL4YOU

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

I have a client coming back for a rebalance next week (yay!). The set I out on her 2 weeks ago is with glued on tips. Normally when info a rebalance with sculpted tips, I would file down and then apply new product. But for sets with glued on tips - will I have to file down and then remove the tip completely and replace it with a new one? Because I would think the tips would almost fall off once you file the nail?

Looking forward to hear some feedback and advice! Thank you!

Sorry don't really understand what you mean by glued on tips? Do you just mean extensions using tips not sculptured? So tips with gel overlay?

Sorry, I'm still new to the industry just been certified in January! Yes, I mean Extensions using tips!

Ah ok well the tips will be fine for the rebalance just thin the product down and rebalance like normal. The tips will eventually grow out and the nails will just be overlayed. x

Rebalancing a nail is a major part of being a nail technician. Surely they would have covered this within your training? Perhaps you should contact your trainer to go over this important part of a nail service.

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Rebalancing was covered in my course. My instructor did teach me how to do a rebalance but I've been doing a rebalance on nails with sculpted enhancements. I figured that doing a rebalance on enhancement with tips is the same way, but it just seems that once I file down close to where the tip was applied, the tip always falls off :(

For example, I had a client come get enhancements with tips 2 weeks ago. She chosed pink... Now she is coming back for a rebalance next week and this time she wants a different colour tip. With sculpted enhancements, I would normally just file down and remove the old color and apply a new one. But since this client has tips and its pink... I was unsure whether I would have to remove her current tips in order to give her a new colour since her tips are pink? I hope that makes sense... :(

Bump :) Can anyone help?

Are you building colour over the tips or just using coloured tips? For rebalance with coloured tips, surely it would be easier to just build colour over clear or natural tips as oppose to using coloured tips so all you would have to do for rebalance and colour change is file down length and to the clear layer, prep new growth area, and just build over that with a new tip colour? Personally, if I had to remove all old product and apply all new tips, that would be charged as a removal and new set at that point.

Thank you!!! I used actual color tips... So I guess the only option I have then is to remove and place new tips. Lesson learned... From now on I should just offer color gel over the clear tips. Just wanted to clarify that that's pretty much my only way of switching to another color is by filing and removing... Bleh.

Thank you for your advice xxx

Am I missing something here?

Surely a pink and white rebalance is the same, whether on sculpted or tip and overlay?

Remove kind of 2/3 of the product, replace the smile line with the white, etc etc

unless you're saying you usually cut off the white and sculpt a new white tip?

Yea, this is why I don't carry coloured or predesigned tips. People will not always want the same colour, and it's difficult to explain why I can't properly rebalance predesigned tips. It's easier to just sculpt it myself. :)

Blossom,

If she had pink color tips (actual pink tip) and next appointment she wants blue... I suppose I can still file down 2/3 of the product and cover it with blue gel for the tips on top of the leftover punk tip... But then the pink would still be seen from underneath?

I should of put on clear tips to start and build on with pink gel but unfortunately I have not been able to invest in any color gels at the moment... I only have colored tips or glitter at this point.

Thank you... Lesson learned. If I do offer pre designed tips for those designs I can't do by hand, if they want to switch for next time I'll just have to charge new set plus removal. Thank you! Xxx

Blossom,

If she had pink color tips (actual pink tip) and next appointment she wants blue... I suppose I can still file down 2/3 of the product and cover it with blue gel for the tips on top of the leftover punk tip... But then the pink would still be seen from underneath?

I should of put on clear tips to start and build on with pink gel but unfortunately I have not been able to invest in any color gels at the moment... I only have colored tips or glitter at this point.

Ahh

Latest posts

Back