Recession

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misssiesta

Reaction score
Hi i set up a business in june.I am renting space above a hairdressers.It started off with a good response and word was getting around.Now almost overnight things have gone very quiet.Im not taking this personally as i know im a good therapist.Im guessing its the credit crunch and it doesnt help i have only been trading 4 months in a town where there is lots of competition.This week i have only just covered my rent .Is october generally a bad month ?Are there any other new businesses feeling it?What about the established ones...?How is it for you?Thankfully i dont have wages to find.But i am beginning to think i have made a mistake and finding it hard to remain positive.AM I WASTING MY TIME ?OR AM I not nearly giving it enough time.......Any comments greatly received :confused:

Its time of the year. Give it a few weeks and things should start to pick up again. In the mean time why not offer some credit crunch packages, for example Mini manicure with a free pedi, or free back massage with facials etc.

Promote treatments people want that give results such as your waxing, tanning and nails etc as things such as facials are probably the last thing some people will be spending money on.

You will pick up though at the minute just go out there and use this quiet period to promote yourself to as many people you can. Go do demos in schools for teachers, offices etc or do a promo with a ladies clothes shop offering express manis for a tenner for example.

Theres loads you can do with this time, get your xmas gift packages and vouchers sorted, think about how to decorate your shop for the festive period, give out specials to everyone you can think of, then when the work does come rolling back in it will be thick and fast.

Kate

Maybe it is the credit crunch biting who knows.Its certainly all everyones talking about everywhere.Ive just been to town and it was very very quiet.Lots of parking spaces.
I think the media are doing a grand job of terrifying everyone.
I think its got to have made people very wary of spending because so many jobs and industrys will be affected ,it all filters its way down.

Great reply, Kate! May I add one more suggestion that has worked and continues to work for me and if you're open, it may work for you too!

Realize the Power of Passion and Heart in all you do. Dont' set yourself up for failure by negative thoughts or even hopeful thoughts - try to "see" it happen for you (I see this as, "conscious marketing").

Let me start with this: I acknowlege the state of our econony and I know that in the US, the first thing ladies do to cut back is remove their acrylics, stop the facials and go longer between hair cuts and coloring. However, I decided not to "buy into all the doom and gloom", so truly, it's not affected me at all, really! Although beauty is still considered a luxury for some (Americans especially) I like to present beauty treatments as "healthy things you do for yourself". Looking good means you feel good and therefore you present yourself as having self-respect and confidence, and it also shows love for yourself. We all feel good after a pedi or a facial, a wax or a new haircolor and cut and that's healthy, right!?! It's a investment in one's body and mind in my opinion.

That said, when I come up with a marketing strategy or a flyer or special offer, I "inject" my heart into it and my positive affirmation that what I'm offering is perfect in every way and anyone who reads it will be "moved" to accept my offer. When I send out email blasts to current and past clients, I envision a positive response - I send it with passion for the positive difference I make in my client's "look" and how they "feel" about themselves and that vibe comes back to me in the way of clients and of course, abundance.

I'm not trying to get "woo-woo", but I can personally attest that our thoughts and feelings (yes, feelings!) in our personal life and business can be life-changing. What do you have to lose?
Love, kelly

PS. For a glimpse of the power you already own, try reading, "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill or any of the Abraham Hicks series books/tapes. Amazing stuff. ox

I've only been running my small mobile/salon at home business since Jan 07. I was also worried about how quiet it had gotten this year so I looked back at my records for this time last year - the pattern is exactly the same......

Busy in the first couple of weeks of September, very quiet in early October then starts to pick up in early/mid Nov. So I've got my fingers crossed for the same this year.

Keep you chin up and dont give up.

Karaxxx

Dont despair, its too soon. Thinks will pick up again for Christmas. Why not do some packages for Christmas?

When you 1st opened did you do a lot of leafleting, advertising etc? Is that why you were busy?

Are you still maintaining the same level of marketing & advertising? If you're not, that could be the reason it's gone quieter.

Step up your marketing, especially with Christmas around the corner & you should find things pick up.

Keep a PMA as well (positive mental attitude) :)

ive recently set up above a hairdressers and they told me october is the calm before the storm when xmas really kicks in. were organising a ladies night to raise money for leukaemia and our local newspaper is getting involved and we are getting raffle prizes from other shops in the town and some of them are setting up stalls. dont give up it takes alot of work for the first year. ive just taken on a visa machine and that has really helped

hope it picks up for you

vicky

I'd be getting my bum down that stairs to the hairdressers and just introduce yourself to their clients (with the owners permission of course) and maybe offer a really good discount to them... maybe you could do their nails while they get their hair done or invite them upstairs for a look... it's worth a try

I'd be getting my bum down that stairs to the hairdressers and just introduce yourself to their clients (with the owners permission of course) and maybe offer a really good discount to them... maybe you could do their nails while they get their hair done or invite them upstairs for a look... it's worth a try

Excellent idea. My salon is opposite a hairdressers and in quiet times I sent one of my girls over to give complementary hand and arm massages and shape and polishes whilst their hair was setting/taking etc.

It also means that you have a prospective client in front of you who has to listen to you for 10mins whilst you tell them all about how a trip to your salon will change their life for the better..... lol

We refused to accept payment or tips and found that most them felt compelled to pay us a little visit or at least tell their friends about us.

HTHs xx

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get "woo-woo", but I can personally attest that our thoughts and feelings (yes, feelings!) in our personal life and business can be life-changing. What do you have to lose?
Love, kelly

PS. For a glimpse of the power you already own, try reading, "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill or any of the Abraham Hicks series books/tapes. Amazing stuff. ox[/quote]

A woman after my own heart! I read the Laws of Attraction and it seriously changed my life. I would not be studying beauty and make up (and having a full time job!) at the moment if I had not been inspired by that book.

If anyone is looking for an easy introduction in to "thoughts become things" way of looking at life then The Secret by Rhoda Byrne is good.

Latest posts

Back