Recession

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
Has the recession hit you guys? I do beauty and it is very quiet. I may look into doing nails, only if it is lucrative enough though.

My spray tanning kit cost hundreds and I hardly do anyone - doom and gloom.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you market your business?
Could it be that you need to advertise in different places or in a different way to generate more business.

Personally, I would concentrate on what you already do instead of adding another skill to your business, at least until the current financial climate changes.

Yep, marketing is the key. Get your name out there, join networking groups, advertise where you can. Do you have a website? If not you can get one free and then add it to as many online directories as possible.

I'd say nothing is lucrative without effort & work! You need to be the best you can, be innovative in your service & marketting and keep plugging away at it in a positive manner. Look at why you think a client should come to you over your competitors, and then why they might not be (and be honest with yourself here - it's always easier to blame external factors like a recession). I write them all down, with the positives on one side & the negatives on the other; knowing your strengths & weaknesses is vital to moving your business forwards.

I personally don't have a problem with recession because I offer a variety of treatments to suit all my clients. I believe I have acheived this because I did a thorough market research in different locations but I started off with friends and family who helped to build my business through word of mouth.

Hi I started off in a new area not knowing any contacts and my business is now taking off. I have been a bit slow as I have waited for my son to start school but it can be done. Assess what you offer and if you can better it in any way and start to get the word around. Some clients started off only having minor treatments and now have upgraded to more expensive ones. I have also worked hard to build up a strong retail side and plan to offer even more in 2009. If you want this then do not give up but do give an honest appraisal of your efforts and your service in order to go forward.:hug:

Yep, marketing is the key. Get your name out there, join networking groups, advertise where you can. Do you have a website? If not you can get one free and then add it to as many online directories as possible.

how do I do this?

freewebs is where I got my site from. I used one of their templates and then customised it for my needs.
As for beauty directories, there are dozens of them. Just google "beauty directory" and you'll find loads. Once you've got your site up and running add yours to the directories. As for networking groups, just google "business networking" and add your area and you'll find lots of them. Some of them are free to join, some not, some just charge a nominal fee, some charge a great deal more than that. Work out what your target demographic is to help you decide where you're likely to find your customers. For instance - for me, I want high value clients so I joined the Athena Group: well heeled ladies who need to look good for their own businesses. It cost me money to join but I've already made it back in custom from new clients.
If you need more ideas check out my "more ways to promote your business" thread.
You MUST market your business. This is not an optional extra.

Latest posts

Back