Reclaiming losses through therapists wages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i have a sale that is put through the visa terminal i get a print out as does the client . all the details are on the receipt you get i think, would that not work.

I've just had a quick look at some of my receipts & the long number & expiry are on there but nothing else. I guess for security in case the receipts got lost/stolen. I don't think this would be enough though to do a customer not present transaction :(

o i was wondering though as i don't always get asked for the security number . the poor op, i'd be furious too.

Well there are certain laws to taken a deduction from an employees wages

Id question is it worth taking the chance and losing a good therapist for the sale of a hundred pound? Maybe you could meet her half way and pay £50 odd each?

As a salon owner (I only presume) you have more disposable income than your employee and maybe a bit of understanding once you have calmed down would do you all better than having her pay for her mistakes with her wages :-(

Although I can't advice legally, I think the therapist should learn her lesson. If the lesson is not learned, such mistakes can become regular. So, the deduction would be fair for this situation if there is no other way of getting the full amount.

I've just had a quick look at some of my receipts & the long number & expiry are on there but nothing else. I guess for security in case the receipts got lost/stolen. I don't think this would be enough though to do a customer not present transaction :(

Typing again at the same time.....are we stalking each other ! :)

Although I can't advice legally, I think the therapist should learn her lesson. If the lesson is not learned, such mistakes can become regular. So, the deduction would be fair for this situation if there is no other way of getting the full amount.

It's not what you or I deem fair. It's what the law deems fair. And money from an employees wages without a full investigation, disciplinary and notice is unlawful. Also I have been reading and retail employees can be protected and could be in this case where by the employer can only take 10% of her wage so may have to recoup the money over a fair period of time.

Oh, and 1 final thing, I wouldn't assume that a salon owner has more disposable income than the employee!!
I agree my girls seem to have a lot more disposable income than me!

Ah yes I forgot that you would need the security code :( there is another way where you can use the 'key catd number' option that you would be able to do with the info you have but im not sure of the legalities of this...maybe phone your card machine company in the morning and ask them as its an obvious mistake xx

Instead of saying 'cardholder not present' in which case you need their security code etc say 'cardholder is present' in which case you only new card number and exp date.... A copy comes out for them to sign but obviously cant so keep a hold of this and their copy for your records. If the client appeals it then you can fight your corner with the truth but the transaction should go through like that!

How awful for you... But the only thing is is this similar to when you go to the till and the price is incorrect but they have to give it to you at that price? If you take money without owner being aware would this be lawful ?
It's not the customers fault although shame she wasn't honest enough to say anything...
It does lie with your staff, but again procedures must take place so you don't land in hot water. Does she have a contract and what have you stated regarding any issues.
Hope you get sorted x

How awful for you... But the only thing is is this similar to when you go to the till and the price is incorrect but they have to give it to you at that price? If you take money without owner being aware would this be lawful ?
It's not the customers fault although shame she wasn't honest enough to say anything...
It does lie with your staff, but again procedures must take place so you don't land in hot water. Does she have a contract and what have you stated regarding any issues.
Hope you get sorted x

I honestly don't know the legalities of the OPs situation and how to re-coup the money from the customer legally and would suggest that the bank might be the starting point on this query...

As for the employee - what contract and staff handbook do you have in place and what does it state about disciplinary action? If you don't have these then you need some professional advice!

As for shops having to sell you something... they don't. If you find something in the shop and it is marked at £1 but is clearly £100 then they shop can refuse to sell the item to you. If you buy it at £1 as marked and you have paid, THEN it is yours. Until then you have no rights and no demand to force them to sell it to you at the price on the item. The only time it will be of interest to anyone is if it was intentionally advertised and marked at a price that there was no intention of selling it at.

I honestly don't know the legalities of the OPs situation and how to re-coup the money from the customer legally and would suggest that the bank might be the starting point on this query...

As for the employee - what contract and staff handbook do you have in place and what does it state about disciplinary action? If you don't have these then you need some professional advice!

As for shops having to sell you something... they don't. If you find something in the shop and it is marked at £1 but is clearly £100 then they shop can refuse to sell the item to you. If you buy it at £1 as marked and you have paid, THEN it is yours. Until then you have no rights and no demand to force them to sell it to you at the price on the item. The only time it will be of interest to anyone is if it was intentionally advertised and marked at a price that there was no intention of selling it at.

Yes tinxy agreed.. And that is what I meant by similar it has already been paid for very tricky situation

i was in a similar situtation to this a few months ago, only i was the customer and had been undercharged by £5 on my card.

I didnt notice at the time nor did the shop.

To cut a long story short, the shop had no rights after to take the money back as it is their mistake.

Latest posts

Back