Recommendations for web hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelt73

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which of the myriad of companies out there that are best for web hosting. I have purchased my domain name through 123reg, created my site via Moonfruit but before I commit to my web hosting supplier I thought I would see what suggestions you guys have. Can't see the wood for the trees at the moment! Thanks x

Hi, if you are self-hosting then Bluehost and HostGator are excellent. They're from the US, but I've used them both and I'm in Australia. They are easy to set up and the support is terrific. Pricing is good too.

In my own personal experience (rather than being as Salonlite / Premier), I'd agree Hostgator are pretty good. Reasonably priced, and I've always had really good support. I've got a couple of sites hosted by 1&1, who aren't bad but the pricing isn't as good.

I host my website with wesh.co.uk. They're a small U.K. based hosting company and the customer service is great.

When choosing your hosting there are a few things to consider:
- U.K. based? If they're servers are abroad it can take longer for your website to load. Plus if your website is down, do they have a U.K. line you can phone?
- Response time? Try emailing their customer service department, how long does it take them to respond? If you have problems you don't want to miss out on traffic because you're waiting on them to reply. Make sure you email or phone the customer services, not the sales line, that one will always be picked up straight away ;)
- Reviews: Don't rely on review websites to get an accurate idea of a company. A lot of these websites are sponsored by the company itself. Instead see if there are any testimonials on the company website and email their clients for their opinions or go on professional web design forums and do a search.
- What do you actually get? How much webspace do you need and how much traffic can you generate? Unlimited doesn't exist, read the small print, it will always be capped at a certain point. Do you get things like email accounts ([email protected] sounds more professional than [email protected]), add-on domains, etc.

If I think of other things I'll let you know!

email [email protected] as he owns his own hosting and is pretty cheap and able to help with any problems you may have :) He can also set up [email protected] email addresses for you :D

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated :)

I just thought I would chip in as I have literally just bought my domain a few hours ago.

One piece of advice I can give is buy your domain through whoever you design your site with, otherwise you will have to pay a transfer fee.

I bought my domain through 123reg.com and I designed my site through moon-fruit, I bought my domain for £8 and had to pay a £11 transfer fee.

Hope that helps

Jody x

I just thought I would chip in as I have literally just bought my domain a few hours ago.

One piece of advice I can give is buy your domain through whoever you design your site with, otherwise you will have to pay a transfer fee.

I bought my domain through 123reg.com and I designed my site through moon-fruit, I bought my domain for £8 and had to pay a £11 transfer fee.

Hope that helps

Jody x

LOL Jody, I make exactly the same mistake as you! Got around it by just redirecting the web domains from 123-reg to Moonfruit so I didn't have to pay the transfer fee thankfully :)

Moonfruit was just bought by Yell, so be careful you don't pay twice by doing your site with moonfruit and hosting with Yell!

mr site BRILLANT dont have to say more :Love:

Hope that helps

Jody x

Unfortunately, this is not the case! You can buy a domain anywhere, then 'point' it to wherever your site is hosted through the DNS settings.
Or if your company gives you a domain already (mywebsite.companywebsite .com) you can simply forward your bought domain to that one.

Oh :-( gutted! I obviously have some learning todo then! When I typed in my own domain name it said I had to pay a transfer fee! Oooops oh well lesson learnt

A website can be very confusing to set up. It doesn't help if companies tell you to do things when actually you can work around it!
At least it was only £11 and not
£110!

Latest posts

Back