Recruitment issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnyminnie

Reaction score
Hi all,
Productive year so far? we had an extremely busy january & february and the complete opposite towards the end of march & the start of april. All Leveled out now and back to normal but we have noticed at our salon that since the recent government budget cuts our clients, (even the most affluent) have hung on a week or two longer between cuts, waxing, nails etc. We have found putting a few packages together has helped bring clients back in inbetween regular treatments so it hasnt made too much of a dent to our takings. Have you had a similar experience, and how have you dealt with it?
Primarily i have found it increasingly difficult to find staff that are motivated, use their own inciative, offer good customer service and actually love doing their job..... Is there something im not spotting in the interview process or are there just a lot of lazy people around wanting to be overpaid for under achieving? Apologies if this sounds sinicle, but its the taste that has been left in my mouth :( Any advice on how to weed the good from the bad would be welcomed. Many thanks hope i haven't bored you all too much ;) xx

Hi all,
Productive year so far? we had an extremely busy january & february and the complete opposite towards the end of march & the start of april. All Leveled out now and back to normal but we have noticed at our salon that since the recent government budget cuts our clients, (even the most affluent) have hung on a week or two longer between cuts, waxing, nails etc. We have found putting a few packages together has helped bring clients back in inbetween regular treatments so it hasnt made too much of a dent to our takings. Have you had a similar experience, and how have you dealt with it?
Primarily i have found it increasingly difficult to find staff that are motivated, use their own inciative, offer good customer service and actually love doing their job..... Is there something im not spotting in the interview process or are there just a lot of lazy people around wanting to be overpaid for under achieving? Apologies if this sounds sinicle, but its the taste that has been left in my mouth :( Any advice on how to weed the good from the bad would be welcomed. Many thanks hope i haven't bored you all too much ;) xx

As a Nail Technician I can say things have definately been quieter throughout April & also so far for May. Im purely riding things out & keeping my fingers X things will pick up. I've offered discounts if individuals recommend a friend but thats about it. I wont drop my prices otherwise.

As for staffing individuals, I really dont know what to suggest. Young or Old people these days, all want something for nothing. I dont know how to spot those that want to get on the ladder & strive for better regardless of how much they earn. Like you've come to realise they are few and far between.
I'd love to get into hairdressing (albeit I'm almost 42 yrs old & really dont look my age) but not having the funds to take myself through college Im at a bit of a loss. If frustrates me no end that there are a whole bunch of school leavers on a level 1 / 2 course who just take the whole thing for granted & simply dont care about whether they finish the course or not, because they dont get paid by the government to learn anymore..... pfft.

I'd LOVE some Salon owner to take me under their wing, put me on an apprenticeship scheme & show me the ropes but right now its just not gonna happen....

Maybe paying more attention to personal references from previous employers / clients would help you ?
:z

Things were busier for me January and Feb this year as opposed to last but am unsure on March/April as I was away for a lot of the time. Although some areas of my business are steady/increasing some areas are quieter/clients leaving longer between appointments.

In terms of your staff issues, where have you advertised and have you found one avenue tends to produce better candidates?

What are you doing to motivate your staff, it's good that your business hasn't been hit to hard by the recession, but maybe you could be doing more to motivate & incentives them. All of us are being bombarded with doom & gloom from the media and I think this has an impact & helps undermine potential for growth (whilst directly influencing confidence in the markets and perpetuates the situation).

Also some people just take the michael :)

i Don't blame you for sticking to your prices, its increasingly difficult to increase prices when costings go up anyway.
your so right had a recent experience with a stylist that wanted maximum pay with very little output and needed prompting to do anything at all if truth be told :(
Hope this doesnt sound rude as it honestly isn't meant that way but I think the only reason why people don't take on a mature apprenticeship is because they feel they are training someone up to leave and open their own salon which in some cases im sure it is the case but it many cases im sure these students are the best as they have life experience, ambition and are able to communicate with customers effectively in comparison to a teenager that is only doing it at college because the government pays them, id take a mature apprentice any day ;)
i checked references and all seemed fine which is a real downer as they seemed to satisfied with the person, i was the complete opposite :(
thanks for your post :)

As a Nail Technician I can say things have definately been quieter throughout April & also so far for May. Im purely riding things out & keeping my fingers X things will pick up. I've offered discounts if individuals recommend a friend but thats about it. I wont drop my prices otherwise.

As for staffing individuals, I really dont know what to suggest. Young or Old people these days, all want something for nothing. I dont know how to spot those that want to get on the ladder & strive for better regardless of how much they earn. Like you've come to realise they are few and far between.
I'd love to get into hairdressing (albeit I'm almost 42 yrs old & really dont look my age) but not having the funds to take myself through college Im at a bit of a loss. If frustrates me no end that there are a whole bunch of school leavers on a level 1 / 2 course who just take the whole thing for granted & simply dont care about whether they finish the course or not, because they dont get paid by the government to learn anymore..... pfft.

I'd LOVE some Salon owner to take me under their wing, put me on an apprenticeship scheme & show me the ropes but right now its just not gonna happen....

Maybe paying more attention to personal references from previous employers / clients would help you ?
:z

i offer decent commission after targets are achieved, free treatments, flexible working hours, good working conditions..... im at a loss as to why people are just so unappreciative?
What are you doing to motivate your staff, it's good that your business hasn't been hit to hard by the recession, but maybe you could be doing more to motivate & incentives them. All of us are being bombarded with doom & gloom from the media and I think this has an impact & helps undermine potential for growth (whilst directly influencing confidence in the markets and perpetuates the situation).

Things were busier for me January and Feb this year as opposed to last but am unsure on March/April as I was away for a lot of the time. Although some areas of my business are steady/increasing some areas are quieter/clients leaving longer between appointments.

In terms of your staff issues, where have you advertised and have you found one avenue tends to produce better candidates?

i have advertised on the salon noticeboard in the salon and on job centre plus and with my local authorities, job centre seems to produce a lot of i have to be here's.

Almost everyday i have someone that wants to work in my salon. Now ive got enough staff at the moment. Im a happy bunny. Majority of my clients see the struggles regardless where they live.

I personally have thrived in this economy, i was very naive to open a salon in the middle of the recession thinking i would be busy on day 1. It's taken time money and energy to make it work and have the commitments to ensure it works. My reputation is very good, im pretty laid back i have very loyal clientelle, so i guess it helps. My education is always up to date, my commisions, incentives and treatments for my staff are amazing.

So to get people that want to go through my vetting process are willing to work hard for it. I feel that if you want to get apprencites you have to take the time out and help educate them, rather than thinking they are lazy, a great way to find out their weakness, and what they would like to aim better on. So that you as a salon owner can help them and assist them. My thing i do in interviews is always give them a speech on what i want, how im a perfectionist and what i expect, that way i dont get any non motivated potiental staff!-be assertive.

I think we've all started somewhere regardless if they are young or mature, but its the environment to an extent that you must create so that it doesnt affect your business! hth xoxo

Hi all,

I can't comment on the takings etc as my laser clinic is due to open in August but I have run other businesses and I can offer some advice on staff.

I'd say constant monitoring is needed really. Sometimes when we get someone good we leave them to it and that allows room for complacency. Do quarterly appraisals, set targets and discuss in appraisal why not achieved or pat in the back if achieved, send in a happy shopper now and then she you are not there to see how they are when you are not around. Sometimes people really do need to move in even though they may be good you just need to move them on and get new staff in to freshen things up. Also when you interview and you like someone ask them to work for a week free of charge as a trial to prove themselves and then you get to work them out.

Also if you have quarterly targets or half yearly targets take your team out for team building and bonding, night out at bowling etc. This will get the staff to know you personally and may get some loyalty to you as a person they may try harder for you as opposed to a pay cheque.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back