recruitment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABFAB

Reaction score
Hi I am opening up a new hair and beauty salon at the end of June and am finding it really difficult to find hairdressers, I have advertised in the local paper twice and advertised on the geek recruitment page. any suggestions where to advertise or if any1 is looking for a job in the newcastle area and covers all aspects of hairdressing please get in contact for more info.

thanks

abfab

I had exactly the same problem but I placed an advert on our sheffield forum therefore I was wondering if there is an online forum for your area. I had a couple of replies but then found my present hairdresser but we may need to look for another in the next few months. Have to say though I nearly gave up on finding someone.
Good Luck!!

Hi Naomi,
Have you tried puuting an add on Newcastle Gumtree.

You might get some response from there.

I put up signs in my windows annoucing stations available. That is how I got 3 of my current stylists.

Do you have access to Craigs list?

Thanks for everyones response, I have put it on gumtree website so fingers crossed!! I'm not sure what craig's list is but don't think I will have acess to it.

I have put signs up in the window of the shop asking for beauty therapists and have had a fair few responses from that

My hair & beauty salon has been going strong for 9 years now. It was a shock to learn that hairdressing recruitment was and still is a nightmare. I eventually ended up going Bulgaria to interview and employed a fantastic male Bulgarian (took 6 months to secure a work permit though!) I have started to take on one new apprentice each year in the hope we can keep an ongoing supply of new stylist among our experienced ones. We also work closely with the college to pick the best from each years graduates... of course this only works if you have the in-house expertise to help them along, if necessary.

If there are any good hairdressers out there looking for a great job... look us up!!!

Thanks for everyones response, I have put it on gumtree website so fingers crossed!! I'm not sure what craig's list is but don't think I will have acess to it.
If you have a computer and internet access, you have craigs list. type it in your search browser.

My hair & beauty salon has been going strong for 9 years now. It was a shock to learn that hairdressing recruitment was and still is a nightmare. I eventually ended up going Bulgaria to interview and employed a fantastic male Bulgarian (took 6 months to secure a work permit though!) I have started to take on one new apprentice each year in the hope we can keep an ongoing supply of new stylist among our experienced ones. We also work closely with the college to pick the best from each years graduates... of course this only works if you have the in-house expertise to help them along, if necessary.

If there are any good hairdressers out there looking for a great job... look us up!!!
Being a mother of teenagers, I have a lot of contact with teenagers and have to say the biggest moan from them is that everywhere they go to find a job, having worked very hard for their qualifications all they get is 'what experience do you have':irked:
It is so nice to have someone not only say they take on newly good qualified peeps but also encouraging others to do it.
Thankyou:hug:

Are you opening in Newcastle under lyme or Upon tyne?? x

Hi
Sorry it's in Newcastle upon tyne.

Why not try local colleges,ask the tutors for recomendations of level 1,2+3 students and invite them for an interveiw.

You probably want experience and i understand but maybe give them a chance :wink2:

Hi

I have employed one hairdresser straight from college level 2 but as I am a beauty therapist I was abit worried about taking on another just qualifed hairdresser as i would of liked one hairdresser to be like a assistant manager with salon experience behind them but I think I might phone the local college and ask the tutor if they know anyone.
thanks for all of your help hopefully i will get there!!:rolleyes:

Hi I am opening up a new hair and beauty salon at the end of June and am finding it really difficult to find hairdressers, I have advertised in the local paper twice and advertised on the geek recruitment page. any suggestions where to advertise or if any1 is looking for a job in the newcastle area and covers all aspects of hairdressing please get in contact for more info.

thanks

abfab
Hi
Try hairandbeautyjobs.com
You will need to register first. Good Hunting!

Have you tried on the Central Coast I know there are a lot of people looking for work down here

You'll have to be very lucky to recruit established stylists into a new salon that hasn't yet earned a reputation. It's a bit of the old chicken and egg syndrome here because a GOOD stylist will only want to work for a GOOD salon where they can be sure to progress well whilst earning the salary they deserve. Until you have those good stylists you won't get the clients in. Catch 22!

In our experience, the ONLY way to get stylists of the standard that you want is to take on Juniors straight from school and train them yourself. But of course this takes time and you don't have that luxury when you're setting up from scratch.

We have 3 stylists who we trained and they are all wonderful. We also have a stylist we recruited early on who came to us with 10 years experience - she's OK but not up to the standard of our other girls.

I'm sorry, this isn't really helpful advice, but it's to say that we understand your problems and wish you loads of luck and success. Just don't give up.

Latest posts

Back