Red Velvet Cupcakes - help me geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
hey geeks

i am going on a girly weekend in a few weeks time and we are having a bake off. The theme is vintage tea party so i have decided on the idea of red velvet cupcakes, i've never made them before but they always taste sooooo good! do you think this is a good idea? my aim is to win! I have found this recipe online, do you think it looks ok? i was thinking maybe of doing a different topping instead of the melted chocolate, maybe a different type of chocolate so it looks abit less messy. help please :)

Faux Red Velvet Hostess Cupcakes by @FoodNetwork_UK

Try and get a copy of the hummingbird bakery recipe for red velvet cupcakes. Their recipes are amazing and always produce good results for me.
Good luck x

Try and get a copy of the hummingbird bakery recipe for red velvet cupcakes. Their recipes are amazing and always produce good results for me.
Good luck x

ooo thank you very much, i've been reading reviews about red velvet and alot of people say that recipes online can be abit hit and miss but thats great, i will hunt for a hummingbird bakery book or recipe :)

Instead of chocolate frosting, how about Cath Kidston inspired frosting? Rosettes in pastel colors. When i think of vintage, I think of muted colors, pastels and flowers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Instead of chocolate frosting, how about Cath Kidston inspired frosting? Rosettes in pastel colors. When i think of vintage, I think of muted colors, pastels and flowers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

sounds pretty, i might give it a go! i'm new to all this baking stuff but if it goes wrong i can just eat the evidence and start again :wink2: thank you

I always thought red velvet should have a swirl of cream cheese frosting?? That'd be easier if you're comfortable with a piping bag.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I always thought red velvet should have a swirl of cream cheese frosting?? That'd be easier if you're comfortable with a piping bag.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

that's what it says on the hummingbird recipe i found, that sounds nicer than a chocolate top and without sounding big headed i am pretty good with a piping bag! haha thank you

As well as a hairdresser I also have a cupcake business. Check some other recipes because a red velvet is usually made with plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar a pinch of salt & butter milk. With cocoa powder & red colouring. A red velvet is a very American based cake but a lovely cake nether the less & a lovely idea. Cream cheese frosting is also the norm for cupcakes.

Sorry cream cheese frosting is the norm for red velvet.

As well as a hairdresser I also have a cupcake business. Check some other recipes because a red velvet is usually made with plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar a pinch of salt & butter milk. With cocoa powder & red colouring. A red velvet is a very American based cake but a lovely cake nether the less & a lovely idea. Cream cheese frosting is also the norm for cupcakes.

thank you very much, i think i just like the idea of ramming something gooey in the middle, so maybe i will look for a different cake recipe but still put a little something gooey in the middle :) i've only had red velvet once but it was sooo good!

Sorry cream cheese frosting is the norm for red velvet.

I love red velvet it's my favourite cake and I agree with littlemissm - It has GOT to be cream cheese frosting, I love that stuff!! Xx

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I love red velvet it's my favourite cake and I agree with littlemissm - It has GOT to be cream cheese frosting, I love that stuff!! Xx

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

i can't even remember what the top was, i just remember the actual cake and i'm not usually a fan of the cakey bit, what would everyone recommend to put in the middle or is this a big no no, shall i just leave it alone?

Hi Hun, I've searched high and low for the best red velvet receipe and I've found it ...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/388523

I'd 100% recommend trying this receipe as its the closest I've had to the south of America :)

The receipe you have Dosent seem quite right as you need bicarb and vinegar to create a volcano effect... This is what makes the sponge light and airy.

This receipe calls for crisco which I couldn't get in uk so used butter instead and buttermilk, which I can't always get. Instead of butter milk you can make by using one cup of milk and adding one tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar to curdle it.

The white gravy sauce is lovely too but your arm feels like its going to drop off by the time you finish lol! Good luck

Hi Hun, I've searched high and low for the best red velvet receipe and I've found it ...

Mom Mom's Red Velvet Cake/Butter Cream Icing - Home Cooking - Chowhound

I'd 100% recommend trying this receipe as its the closest I've had to the south of America :)

The receipe you have Dosent seem quite right as you need bicarb and vinegar to create a volcano effect... This is what makes the sponge light and airy.

This receipe calls for crisco which I couldn't get in uk so used butter instead and buttermilk, which I can't always get. Instead of butter milk you can make by using one cup of milk and adding one tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar to curdle it.

The white gravy sauce is lovely too but your arm feels like its going to drop off by the time you finish lol! Good luck

thank you so much for looking for me, really is appreciated as i'm new to all of this baking stuff so i am a thorough recipe follower instead of these pro's that just chuck a bit of this and that in :lol: I have printed it off ready, i think i'm going to have a trial run in the next two weeks :D thanks again

It really is lovely I've made this receipe loads lol
If you didn't want to make the white sauce (that's really time consuming) you can just mix cream cheese (like Philly) and icing sugar with a bit of butter , taste it and add more cheese or sugar depending on how you like :) let me no how u get on :)

This is one of my red velvets the chowhound recipe I just saw on the link doesn't have cocoa in it but red velvet should have it in.

Sorry was wrong it does say cocoa. Use that recipe as it is the right ingredients. You could fill with a chocolate ganache or when putting in the batter you could put a cube of chocolate in then top with a bit more batter. When baked the chocolate melts giving you a gooey chocolate filling.

Red velvet & cream cheese frosting

ooo thank you so much geeks! those pictures look delicious, i'm getting excited about making them! i will let you all know how i get on, i have a tendency to eat majority of my ingredients whilst i bake but i'm on a diet at the moment so fingers crossed it goes to plan! x

so i made my practice run of cupcakes today and they went quite well. everyone said they were very tasty, i ended up following the hummingbird recipe as that was the one with the ingredients i could easily get in my local tesco. The two things that didn't go to plan were.. they didn't really go red but more of a brown colour, the cupcake cases were really pretty baby blue with pink roses and once they had cooked they looked gross, they fell apart abit when i took them out the cases to eat.... ummm i think that was it. any ideas?

Latest posts

Back