Red Velvet Cupcakes - help me geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went somewhere recently where there were the MOST amazing red velvet cupcakes - BusyBee's opening (another story). The person who made the cakes was there and she said (I think I have this right) to get a proper red colour, you have to use artificial red food colouring because natural colouring will just go brown.

If they are falling apart, I think you've overmixed the batter.

oooo excellent advice thank you! i used natural, it was all my tesco had but i will go further afield to find some artificial :) also i will try not to over work the batter as i know for a fact i did :o thank you!

You maybe didn't add enough food colour. I don't use the liquid colours you buy in the supermarkets as they can give a bitter taste. Buy the paste colours. You can get these from any sugarcraft shop & you only need a tiny amount. When I make red velvet I use the Wiltons no taste red colouring. This way you can use as much as you need without worrying about a bitter taste to the cakes.

You maybe didn't add enough food colour. I don't use the liquid colours you buy in the supermarkets as they can give a bitter taste. Buy the paste colours. You can get these from any sugarcraft shop & you only need a tiny amount. When I make red velvet I use the Wiltons no taste red colouring. This way you can use as much as you need without worrying about a bitter taste to the cakes.

ooo i will keep an eye out, thank you, i think we have a little cake making shop in the village :)

Latest posts

Back