Reflexology on a heavily pregnant lady?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm after a bit of advice please. I qualified as a reflexologist 13 years ago, but have only been carrying out very regular treatments for the last couple of years (prior to that it was sporadic!) I've been approached by a 39 week pregnant lady wanting a treatment to help her relax before she has her baby.

I haven't treated anyone that heavily pregnant before, so to all of you more experienced reflexologists, is there anything I need to be aware of when treating her please? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks. :)x

I thought it can kick start your labour
(I'm hair)

I think that's what she's hoping for! It'll only be 6 days before her due date, so shouldn't be a problem if it does. Thanks for replying. :) x

I'm not qualified but am pregnant and have had the treatment though my last and this pregnancy

It can kick start labour If done around the womb which so far with this pregnancy she has avoided the womb area I'm only 30 weeks my last pregnancy we used it to turn my son who was breech and then help bring on labour lol

I would just be very careful with what she wants to achieve and make her fully aware that this can happen and if she wants to continue a full disclaimer but not sure it's the same with holistic therapists sorry this is only my experience on reflexology

Hope this helps x

I'm not qualified but am pregnant and have had the treatment though my last and this pregnancy

It can kick start labour If done around the womb which so far with this pregnancy she has avoided the womb area I'm only 30 weeks my last pregnancy we used it to turn my son who was breech and then help bring on labour lol

I would just be very careful with what she wants to achieve and make her fully aware that this can happen and if she wants to continue a full disclaimer but not sure it's the same with holistic therapists sorry this is only my experience on reflexology

Hope this helps x

Many thanks! I've made her aware that it can start labour and she sees this as a bonus! I'll make sure she completes the medical form I have before we start any treatment. I think she is hoping for relaxation and a better nights sleep, which I've found is more often than not exactly what happens. Thanks for your reply. X

I have used reflexology to help in late pregnancy and I have even acted as a doula and used reflexology during labour. It can help kick start labour, but I believe only in that it can help a mum to be relax and accept the onset of labour - it is not a coincidence that many labours start at night when the body is relaxed! It is perfectly safe to have done after the first trimester. I was taught that reflexology will not cause a pregnancy to spontaneously abort, but as most miscarriages happen in the first 3 months, we all look for someone to blame, and if you have had a reflexology, that is what you would blame I'm afraid! Hope it goes well x

I have used reflexology to help in late pregnancy and I have even acted as a doula and used reflexology during labour. It can help kick start labour, but I believe only in that it can help a mum to be relax and accept the onset of labour - it is not a coincidence that many labours start at night when the body is relaxed! It is perfectly safe to have done after the first trimester. I was taught that reflexology will not cause a pregnancy to spontaneously abort, but as most miscarriages happen in the first 3 months, we all look for someone to blame, and if you have had a reflexology, that is what you would blame I'm afraid! Hope it goes well x

That's fabulous. Thank you. That's exactly what I was told about the first trimester too. Thank you for replying. X

I was taught my maternity reflexology by a midwife. She told us babies come when they are good and ready. Reflexology alone wouldn't bring on labour otherwise we'd have pregnant women queuing round the block. You're not going to cause any harm at this late stage. She could go into labour at any time anyway now. :)

Hi,
Im a reflexologist and as mentioned before would just avoid reproductive area on her, but I wouldnt worry. I expect she just wants to relax so would advise more attention over the spine.
I had it done when I was in my last month of pregnancy and it was so relaxing, it was the one time my baby was completely still - i had to nudge him in my tummy afterwards as was worried but he must've been chilled out too, ha ha ha!!:lol:
xXx

I had regular reflexology before pregnancy and all the way through until after the birth. My reflexologist (who is also a midwife) just concentrated on all the areas except reproductive where she just very gently avoided. I did enjoy it but never found it as enjoyable as before pregnancy as she went gentler on me as soon as she knew I was pregnant xx

Thank you everyone for the reassurance. :) x

Latest posts

Back