Removing gel prior to Shellacing, how much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hello all,

On Friday I have my hairdresser coming to me for the first time for a Shellac pedicure. I really need to do a great job as she has high standards herself and expects no less!

She has a royal blue glittery gel on her toes which I will have to remove manually before Shellacing. I have never worked with or removed a coloured gel before so don't know how much of it I need to remove before being able to get on with the Shellac?

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks so much for any help x

You need to remove all product that's on her toes first

Is it a soak off gel or a file off gel? If soak off, cotton wool or lint free pads soaked into acetone. Then held in place with foil squares. Or if a file off, get an abrasive file like a 180 grit, and file, be careful when near the nail plate, use either a white block or a koala. Either way it will take upto 30-45 mins. And charge her for removing this product.plus loads of solar oil afterwards!!

Is it a soak off gel or a file off gel?

Thanks for your reply Lisa, it's a hard gel as she said the person who usually does it removes it with an e-file. So to be sure I should just leave a very thin layer, even if it is still blue and go ahead with basecoat (there is re-growth of natural nail).

Thanks again :)

Make sure all is removed before applying any shellac. X

Make sure all is removed before applying any shellac. X

OK, clear - thanks also to Lovelygirl85.

Just for my understanding, what would happen if I left gel product and went ahead with Shellac? (I thought you could do this).
Sorry for all the questions, just want to fully understand x

If u left any other product on the nail
before applying Shellac, you would be tainting the Shellac service, and would probably encounter all sorts of problems, the the shellac not curing properly, not lasting, bubbling, anything could go wrong. Best just to start with a blank canvas again.

I'm sorry, I don't agree that you 'need' to remove all of it.

One can Shellac over hard gel enhancements, and none of the issues mentioned above occur... It also doesn't 'taint' the Shellac system. It was designed for natural nails but we all know lots of enhancement clients want Shellac for the colour, too. As long as you're using the system as instructed by CND, then you are giving a full/proper Shellac service. CND have made videos instructing how to apply over enhancements.

The hard gel itself may be subject to service breakdown if it wasn't applied properly/is of poor quality etc, but that isn't the Shellac's fault.

However, in saying that there may be some aesthetic reasons one should remove it i.e it may affect the tone of the Shellac colour you place over the top.

I'd say remove as much as you can - file it off to thinner than paper thin. If the colour isn't too opaque and vibrant at this point then you could leave it if you were using an opaque Shellac colour. Or, you could then soak the rest off if you wish.

On a parting note: why do people still use hard gel when frequent colour changes are required o_O!!

i dont agree that you need to remove it all either as you can apply shellac to any nail enhancement as a finishing layer anyway.....plus i quite often have gel on my toes in rockstar and then have decided to have a change and ive done the shellac over the top and carved out a design....this has stayed with no problems.

id file as much as possible off, if you can get it all great if you cant then dont. just explain everything to her xx

Thank you all for your replies. I will try and get as much off as possible and fingers crossed that she will go for an opaque colour. I am mainly worried that it will take me ages to get it off before even starting with the Shellac service. Wish it was a simple application on clean nails for my first chance to impress her!

Many thanks again for the helpful advice :)

I would always remove someone else's work. You cannot guarantee what they have used. This will give you peace of mind and assurance.But yes, you can Shellac over hard gel and acrylic. Decisions!!!!

If the product isn't lifting and the nail looks healthy, then what's the problem?

Perhaps you shouldn't "guarantee" your work in the same way as you would if their nails has been perfect to begin with... But I also wouldn't "guarantee" my work on somebody who has had coatings applied by somebody else that I've had to remove before. The preparation techniques may have been a bit heavy handed with regards to 'shine' removal (as a lot are!)... And any coating is only as strong as its foundation, as they say.

Last edited:
Job done :biggrin:

It was easier than I thought and I got all the gel off. I don't know what I was expecting but managed to make myself believe it would be really difficult because I'd not done it before...

She went home happy with lovely Purple Purple toes and I have some blue dust to clean away!

Thanks for all your help ladies x

Latest posts

Back