Removing Shellac in a UV lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails_4_U

Reaction score
Just had a client tell me a nail tech removed her shellac by wrapping in foil, cotton wool with acetone and the placing her hands into the uv lamp (with foil on) for a few minutes. My thoughts are what are the benefits of this other than slight warmth produced or does this tech just have no bloody idea what she is doing?

I can honestly say I've never heard of that before??? I'll look forward to seeing the other comments

Just had a client tell me a nail tech removed her shellac by wrapping in foil, cotton wool with acetone and the placing her hands into the uv lamp (with foil on) for a few minutes. My thoughts are what are the benefits of this other than slight warmth produced or does this tech just have no bloody idea what she is doing?

sounds to me she is just trying to speed up the removal time by generating a bit of heat
that is unnecessary and is just wasting the life of her bulbs.

When removing my clients gel nails i sometimes use the foils, but never put them under the lamp?!

The tech probably did it thinking it would generate heat. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I heard of someone doing this too (I think it was on here!) I thought it was very random and I don't see any benefit at all! If anything, could the uv light not make removal worse? X

Anyone stupid enough to put Acetone which is highly flammable, near an electrical source is either just plain stupid or asking for a lawsuit (or both). Nuts.

I know techs that do this with bio sculpture, I lent one my CND lamp as her had broken and all the trays have melt marks from the acetone :( I find in this warm weather by the time I've wrapped both hands the first one is ready to remove. In the colder moths wrapping the hands in heated towels helps generate heat and more so is comforting.

I know techs that do this with bio sculpture, I lent one my CND lamp as her had broken and all the trays have melt marks from the acetone :( I find in this warm weather by the time I've wrapped both hands the first one is ready to remove. In the colder moths wrapping the hands in heated towels helps generate heat and more so is comforting.

Adding warmth is fine to speed things up as long it is a safe way to do it .. trying to do it near a direct electrical current is another thing altogether.!! One spark from a faulty lamp and boom!

Adding warmth is fine to speed things up as long it is a safe way to do it .. trying to do it near a direct electrical current is another thing altogether.!! One spark from a faulty lamp and boom!
So I presume putting a minx lamp over them's a daft idea too?

curvygirl ... so much for not thinking nails. lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

So I presume putting a minx lamp over them's a daft idea too?

Not smart. Acetone ignites at a very low temperature and it LEAKS out of foil wraps!! Doesn't take much to imagine the scenario.

Not smart. Acetone ignites at a very low temperature and it LEAKS out of foil wraps!! Doesn't take much to imagine the scenario.

Thought so .....

Before i trained up My mum said she had her nails wrapped in foil and put under a lamp to remove gellux and it made me go funny!! Surely this is dangerous and not actually productive??
The salon she had this done no longer offers gellux as they had too many complaints about the quality of nails there which reassures me...

There's no benefit to doing this, its incredibly stupid, acetone is highly flammable. The only reason I can think of her doing this is to try and make it look to the client like the removal process is a technical thing that needs to be done at the salon so that she can charge her customers a premium for the removal.

Please don't shoot me, but does this include heated mitts aswell,? as I know many techs on here including me use them. I don't with Shellac but do with l&p !

Please don't shoot me, but does this include heated mitts aswell,? as I know many techs on here including me use them. I don't with Shellac but do with l&p !

Depends how you wrap the nails, and protect the acetone from leaking into the mitts. The slightest chance of leaking into a heated mitt with electric elements in the mitts could be potentially very dangerous.

Depends how you wrap the nails, and protect the acetone from leaking into the mitts. The slightest chance of leaking into a heated mitt with electric elements in the mitts could be potentially very dangerous.

I use CND wraps with dsolve or sometimes foil and cotton wool. I think if there is even the slightest teeniest chance then I will now stop doing its totally not worth it just to save a few minutes. Ill apply heated towels if I think it is necessary in the future

I use CND wraps with dsolve or sometimes foil and cotton wool. I think if there is even the slightest teeniest chance then I will now stop doing its totally not worth it just to save a few minutes. Ill apply heated towels if I think it is necessary in the future

Would it make it safer if the mits were heated then turned off before putting the hands in them, ive read on here that thats what some people are doing. Just wondering as ive just brought some but they have not arived yet? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Would it make it safer if the mits were heated then turned off before putting the hands in them, ive read on here that thats what some people are doing. Just wondering as ive just brought some but they have not arived yet? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes, that would be safer but still VERY important not to let any Acetone leak into the mitts or it could expose wires which would become live when you turn the mitts on the next time. Make frequent checks.

Latest posts

Back