Removing xxl colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinky_kez

Reaction score
For who has done it and I know it's a pain how long and best way to remove this nasty colour?

I have a client Friday evening who used xxl purple (dark plum) and wants to go bright red, see her Thursday morning for skin test and test cuttings she wants it as bright as sored Sr-r

Not sure what the best course of action is, when I did my own I just used 6% bleach all over, 7rr then 2 weeks later ct relights

Hi I have had 3 nightmares with xxxl so now if I know it's on the hair I advise them to use a clarifying shampoo and treatments for a month.

It's worse as two of the clients couldn't remember what brand, they had used-one assures me it was a loreal box

Hi I have had 3 nightmares with xxxl so now if I know it's on the hair I advise them to use a clarifying shampoo and treatments for a month.

It's worse as two of the clients couldn't remember what brand, they had used-one assures me it was a loreal box

Dye until the second cleanse wouldn't shift the red she 'remembered' it was xxxl ahhh!

That stuff is awful!

Generally I find it will need two cleanses (that's what I've had todo with the red shades) but never felt with a darker plum x

I really love xxl - it's the only thing that lasts on my hair!!! Get complimented on it by the hair dressers at our place all the time too. Never knew it wasn't good stuff!!

I really love xxl - it's the only thing that lasts on my hair!!! Get complimented on it by the hair dressers at our place all the time too. Never knew it wasn't good stuff!!

Please don't recommend box colours on a pro site

It's a box colour of course it's not 'good stuff'!

And this is why non pro's aren't meant to be on here. Xxl can be compared to the greatest evil that has ever existed.

We value quality and condition of the hair over cheap quick products that cause a lot of damage.

Ask the client to use clarifying shampoo for a few washes, if this hasn't faded the tone use bleach, shampoo and warm water xoxo

what we've done with these colour correction jobbies, is a take a test piece.

Test piece it to see if it does lift, if it lifts to a orange tone, its the most you'll get out of it, its its more pale yellow, then we have some luck gradually taking colour out. (depending to clients desired tone). Either way whatever underlying pigment you have left, if it gleams, it will continue to gleam. dark purple/plum is not that bad to lift out the red tone is a nightmare.

If your client is after the so red r, then i would advise to strip out as much as you can to a orange tone then colour over, with a toner the hd red in colorsync, still very vibrant. instead of a global sr-r, it would cause too much root glow.

The live xxl range has metallic salts so, it can react, thus the test piece working wonders. We use blondi rae-great results compared to coloreaser/effasor-which didnt take much. il give more info in the morning! xoxo

In response to the OP , cleanse with caution !! I've spoken to a few people within the hair colourant industry , and apparently the molecule in XXL is specific to XXL , once it is used its a nightmare to get rid of as the molecule is re activated when developer is used on the hair , stubborn stubborn stubborn!!

And this is why non pro's aren't meant to be on here. Xxl can be compared to the greatest evil that has ever existed.

We value quality and condition of the hair over cheap quick products that cause a lot of damage.

I'm sorry to have offended you. I don't work in hair, but I do work in a salon (and an award winning one at that). I wouldn't know where to start with all the tubes and things of colour/toner/bleach.

How does this stuff damage hair? I've been using it happily every 3-4 months for about 3 years and don't think my hair shows any kind of damage. My hairdresser always comments how lovely my hair is!!

You took my comment as a recommendation? Wow.

Sure sounds like it to me. Oh and by the way your stylist is lying ;-) wait till you decide you want to try something different when you have that c**p on your hair

Last edited by a moderator:
what we've done with these colour correction jobbies, is a take a test piece.

Test piece it to see if it does lift, if it lifts to a orange tone, its the most you'll get out of it, its its more pale yellow, then we have some luck gradually taking colour out. (depending to clients desired tone). Either way whatever underlying pigment you have left, if it gleams, it will continue to gleam. dark purple/plum is not that bad to lift out the red tone is a nightmare.

If your client is after the so red r, then i would advise to strip out as much as you can to a orange tone then colour over, with a toner the hd red in colorsync, still very vibrant. instead of a global sr-r, it would cause too much root glow.

The live xxl range has metallic salts so, it can react, thus the test piece working wonders. We use blondi rae-great results compared to coloreaser/effasor-which didnt take much. il give more info in the morning! xoxo

That sounds like a good idea I don't normally use colour sync (use wella as well) going to give her some clarify shampoo when I see her and tell her to use it as many times as she can (appointment 1pm Friday) til I come back

Hair geeks could you not just take this opportunity to EDUCATE Welshclairy about what xxl will be doing to her hair, instead of just slating her for using it?

Hair geeks could you not just take this opportunity to EDUCATE Welshclairy about what xxl will be doing to her hair, instead of just slating her for using it?

My thoughts exactly. Well harsh!!

She is a non pro singing the virtues I of a non pro colour. I was under the assumption that was against the rules?

I dont want to take this off topic but yes it does say in the rules

It is fine to chime in with opinion as long as it does not lead readers to construe that the information you have given is a professional recommendation. On that note, please do NOT recommend OTC (Over the counter) products and services. These are not professional.

This whole thread is about an OTC product.
Welshclairy does not say she is a pro, but does work in a salon she just said she used it and her hair was OK with it, OK this could be taken as a recommendation but she didn't say for anyone else to use it just said she had.....OR it could be taken as some as an opportunity to educate her into the harm she could be doing to her hair and how difficult it will be to remove it.

I just think the second option would have been more in keeping with the site ethos.
I also think calling a product c**p on a pro forum doesn't look very professional whether OTC or not, although I do realise this is an emotive subject for you pros.

So meanwhile, what is the best way to remove this greatest evil as Tomme so nicely put it :wink2:.........

My thoughts exactly. Well harsh!!

Nothing harsh about it. If I jumped in a thread in nails saying how I used a home gel nail kit bought from groupon and how wonderful it is I'm sure you would have something to say.

It is a cheap product which builds up on the hair and can cause a build up of metallic salts which once present on the hair make it nearly impossible to colour. It's difficult to remove and causes an unstable and unpredictable result. I have girls with the worse colour banding and eventual breakage from using this product, which they gave to live with as when we strand test the hair litterally fizzes and dissolves.

It is a cheap product which builds up on the hair and can cause a build up of metallic salts which once present on the hair make it nearly impossible to colour. It's difficult to remove and causes an unstable and unpredictable result. I have girls with the worse colour banding and eventual breakage from using this product, which they gave to live with as when we strand test the hair litterally fizzes and dissolves.

Well, why not say this in the first place. I wouldn't use it again if I knew that !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back