Removing xxl colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, why not say this in the first place. I wouldn't use it again if I knew that !

Well since the origional post was about removing xxl and not asking for an opinion on how good it was then there really shouldn't have been any need.

I'm sorry to have offended you. I don't work in hair, but I do work in a salon (and an award winning one at that). I wouldn't know where to start with all the tubes and things of colour/toner/bleach.

How does this stuff damage hair? I've been using it happily every 3-4 months for about 3 years and don't think my hair shows any kind of damage. My hairdresser always comments how lovely my hair is!!

The strengths are based on worst case scenario to achieve the colour on the box, so the likes of peroxide are the highest strengths, there are a lot of silicones that don't wash off ( that's what makes you think it's ok when really under the coating is over processed damaged hair) there are metallic salts used in the colour, these, if another brand of colour is used, reacts and causes the hair to "melt" for want of a better word. Reactions to metallic salts also often cause heat, then you will feel a really bad burning sensation as your hair physically smokes (its steam I believe, but someone please correct me) from the heat and reaction that dissolves the hair.

This is why so many people say "oh x brand damaged my hair" or "I can only use xxl, all other brands makes it look dull" the truth is, compared to xxl most box colours are gentle although they still aren't as gentle as a salon colour where everything is closely monitored and mixed to suit your hair specifically.
I would personally start using a clarifying shampoo, to strip it out as much as possible and move off xxl, the salon you work in probably will do a discount seeing as you work there. Xoxo

if another brand of colour is used, reacts and causes the hair to "melt" for want of a better word. Reactions to metallic salts also often cause heat, then you will feel a really bad burning sensation as your hair physically smokes (its steam I believe, but someone please correct me) from the heat and reaction that dissolves the hair.

Over from nails - tho I do love a good read of hair geek - and wanted to say thank you Tomme.

This quoted part makes HUGE sense to me.. Now I'm NOT recommending this but merely sharing, I've used LIVE 35 since it was Wella (forget the shade number) so about 15yrs, the one time I tried another dye on my hair my ends literally melted and went frizzy like a manky old dolly.. I had them cut out as they were horrific but put it down to the 'new' dye so went back to my old faithful #35 slightly gutted that the colour would never be the same or as vibrant.. Well not only that but the ends will never be the same, my hair doesn't stretch when wet brushed it just snaps and goes manky doll haired, I have to gently wide tooth comb it with a leave in conditioner until its almost smooth and I can't brush it until its totally dry, my hair is baby thin so I only air dry and need to use a bristle brush.
I'm having my hair done in a salon tomorrow, not sure what I'm having done or what colour as its a treat for always doing the salon staff nails but safe to say I'm petrified my hair will melt lol.

Over from nails - tho I do love a good read of hair geek - and wanted to say thank you Tomme.

This quoted part makes HUGE sense to me.. Now I'm NOT recommending this but merely sharing, I've used LIVE 35 since it was Wella (forget the shade number) so about 15yrs, the one time I tried another dye on my hair my ends literally melted and went frizzy like a manky old dolly.. I had them cut out as they were horrific but put it down to the 'new' dye so went back to my old faithful #35 slightly gutted that the colour would never be the same or as vibrant.. Well not only that but the ends will never be the same, my hair doesn't stretch when wet brushed it just snaps and goes manky doll haired, I have to gently wide tooth comb it with a leave in conditioner until its almost smooth and I can't brush it until its totally dry, my hair is baby thin so I only air dry and need to use a bristle brush.
I'm having my hair done in a salon tomorrow, not sure what I'm having done or what colour as its a treat for always doing the salon staff nails but safe to say I'm petrified my hair will melt lol.

Make sure you make the stylist aware of what's been used previously on your hair, so they can do the correct tests to see if your hair is suitable to their color line :)

Just make them aware of what happened, I only know my client used xxl and colour as I turned to to do a cut and finish and she was just about to rinse this stuff off (few months ago) but had the check to ask me to wash it off for her! Which I said no but would wait for her to do it then would carry out her cut and blowdry (she normally washes her haired before I arrive so no really change)

Make sure you make the stylist aware of what's been used previously on your hair, so they can do the correct tests to see if your hair is suitable to their color line :)

This is the best you can do, if you tell them everything you have used then they are as best informed as possible and can work out a treatment plan to suit your hair and what you want to achieve.
Don't get paranoid about your hair melting, that's more likely if you do a colour at home.
Xoxo

The strengths are based on worst case scenario to achieve the colour on the box, so the likes of peroxide are the highest strengths, there are a lot of silicones that don't wash off ( that's what makes you think it's ok when really under the coating is over processed damaged hair) there are metallic salts used in the colour, these, if another brand of colour is used, reacts and causes the hair to "melt" for want of a better word. Reactions to metallic salts also often cause heat, then you will feel a really bad burning sensation as your hair physically smokes (its steam I believe, but someone please correct me) from the heat and reaction that dissolves the hair.

This is why so many people say "oh x brand damaged my hair" or "I can only use xxl, all other brands makes it look dull" the truth is, compared to xxl most box colours are gentle although they still aren't as gentle as a salon colour where everything is closely monitored and mixed to suit your hair specifically.
I would personally start using a clarifying shampoo, to strip it out as much as possible and move off xxl, the salon you work in probably will do a discount seeing as you work there. Xoxo

Thank you. I've never heard any of that before. Have asked a couple of the colouring folk here who say its only really a problem if I want to change colour. My hair is mid-dark brown originally, and I think that's the only other colour I'd want to go back to in future. They said I can just use an xxl colour in brown and then let my hair grow out with it on until I'm back to my natural colour again. Makes sense to me, at least!!!

She is a non pro singing the virtues I of a non pro colour. I was under the assumption that was against the rules?

Are you always this aggressive?

I used XXl blonde and my hair was exactly how I wanted it but as soon as I decided I needed to tone it down my hair was like chewing gum & alot broke off. I spent alot of hours crying as my hair has always been in good condition. I'm not a hair geek but I know this stuff is Mega bad. Shouldn't be sold!!

Are you always this aggressive?

I'm sorry, your new, this isn't aggressive for this site, that's quite mild to be honest.
As for going back natural, anyone who has told you to use a live again is wrong, and in mine and many others in here I'm sure opinion is that try should not be hairdressing if this is their advice. You will only get an exact match to your natural with a salon colour where they can check against the colour of your roots and mix probably 2 or 3 possibly more colours together to match the natural colour.
If I were an employer I would class advising a live or any other home colour as misconduct, in the case of a live I would call it gross misconduct, not only is that person losing the salon money but they are endangering the clients hair and possibly health and self esteem. Xoxo

I used XXl blonde and my hair was exactly how I wanted it but as soon as I decided I needed to tone it down my hair was like chewing gum & alot broke off. I spent alot of hours crying as my hair has always been in good condition. I'm not a hair geek but I know this stuff is Mega bad. Shouldn't be sold!!

That can be caused by a lot of things. First, the blondes you get a tube (high lift tint), a packet (bleach) and a bottle (peroxide). The high lift tint should not be mixed with bleach, it makes the tint lose its tone and makes the hair over process, the peroxide will be the highest strength available (12%), if with high lift alone that's fine, but it is never recommended with bleach, the whole combination is a disaster in itself, you then have the metallic salts reacting like lunatics and that mixed together is why your hair went so bad. I'm glad you have seen the light :p xoxo

Thanks to all who responded to my post - replying on phone so can't see names to make the thanks personal - I've told the salon what I've used and even shades incase that's needed too, cheers again.
Can you feel the geeky love? <3

That can be caused by a lot of things. First, the blondes you get a tube (high lift tint), a packet (bleach) and a bottle (peroxide). The high lift tint should not be mixed with bleach, it makes the tint lose its tone and makes the hair over process, the peroxide will be the highest strength available (12%), if with high lift alone that's fine, but it is never recommended with bleach, the whole combination is a disaster in itself, you then have the metallic salts reacting like lunatics and that mixed together is why your hair went so bad. I'm glad you have seen the light :p xoxo

I hate xxl worst thing ever I have a client that use to use that and when she wanted to go couple shades lighter I told her she wouldn't achieve it in one day which is what some people seem to thinks, she also had that plum colour I bleach bathed it twice with loads of reconstructing conditioners inbetween, luckily that's all it took to get it to a base 7/8 which I was really surprised at my self. But I didn't know it had metallic salts in so I've learnt something new today x

XXL is a nightmare and should be banned!!! People seem to love it though, esp the plum color, had several clients with it already, and handily all of them remembered only half-way thru coloring that they'd used it at some point instead of telling me before! I've had highlights go a purple color because of this stuff still lurking in the client's hair, stripping it is nearly impossible as it won't budge, so really best thing is to do a few gentle cleanses to see how much will shift, getting it to a red should then not be too much of a problem. Some length might have to be sacrificed in the process though.

As for going back natural, anyone who has told you to use a live again is wrong, and in mine and many others in here I'm sure opinion is that try should not be hairdressing if this is their advice. You will only get an exact match to your natural with a salon colour where they can check against the colour of your roots and mix probably 2 or 3 possibly more colours together to match the natural colour.
If I were an employer I would class advising a live or any other home colour as misconduct, in the case of a live I would call it gross misconduct, not only is that person losing the salon money but they are endangering the clients hair and possibly health and self esteem. Xoxo

I'm happy eith the colour at the moment and dont want to change it. I dont need to, do I? I couldn't afford to have it done at my salon even with the staff discount. I think they suggested using xxl again as it would be more likely to come out the right colour than other box colours.

XXL is a nightmare and should be banned!!! People seem to love it though, esp the plum color, had several clients with it already, and handily all of them remembered only half-way thru coloring that they'd used it at some point instead of telling me before! I've had highlights go a purple color because of this stuff still lurking in the client's hair, stripping it is nearly impossible as it won't budge, so really best thing is to do a few gentle cleanses to see how much will shift, getting it to a red should then not be too much of a problem. Some length might have to be sacrificed in the process though.

My old boss use to recommend it to clients ! I use to cringe with all the box colours she did and charge 30 for it you may aswell pay for it to professional have it done! Once I took over the shop I put a stop to it and the other brand is nice and easy I hate them all x

I'm happy eith the colour at the moment and dont want to change it. I dont need to, do I? I couldn't afford to have it done at my salon even with the staff discount. I think they suggested using xxl again as it would be more likely to come out the right colour than other box colours.

Seriously I think that any decent salon would never recommend using it, staff or client.

It's in a graduated bob so not much to play with but is is on good condition last time I saw her (restyle last time

My old boss use to recommend it to clients ! I use to cringe with all the box colours she did and charge 30 for it you may aswell pay for it to professional have it done! Once I took over the shop I put a stop to it and the other brand is nice and easy I hate them all x

Pay £30 to get someone to ruin your hair with box colour? Really? omg this is the biggest joke ever!!!! Unbelievable! And to recommend that cr@p as well? What next-recommendations to use Pantene? :grr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back