Renting a chair (newly qualified)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbad

Reaction score
Hi
I went for my job interview today and found out it is to rent a chair.

The owner is prepared to rent the chair to me. She knows I have just qualified. She has clients waiting and she wants to cut some of her hours down too.

I really have looked elsewhere employed and to develop more experience but had no luck. I would like to take this as I cant see anymore opputunitys. I am slightly worried that I am not qualified enough so in one hand I am so excited in the next I am really worried.

I have to use all my own stock luckily I have it all and I will pay her a day rate for the chair. I am going in for a day to experience the salon and get a feel for the place.

I need some advice either negative or positive on the whole job situation.

Thanks in advanced
xxx :)

same thing has just happened to me. i applied for beauty therapist role and went for interview. turns out the lady who owns the salon is a hairdresser and she wants a beauty therapist working there on fri's and sat's for a % basis. last wk was first wk and i was kinda thrown into it, facials, pedis, eye trios etc. she supplies equipment and products (need not have a clue of the facial products, not meeting with a rep for a few wks - wouldn't mind the price list for facial is £70 which i think is v expensive) personally i feel like i'm not really learning anything and i would rather improve my skills by getting a job in a beauty salon with other qulified experienced beauty therapists.

what i've done is taken it on and i'm also applying for beauty therapist role in a beauty salon, did a trades test on tue and will hear back over w/e.

perhaps take what you can get for the moment and also look elsewhere so that you're getting the best for your career development.....hth x

same thing has just happened to me. i applied for beauty therapist role and went for interview. turns out the lady who owns the salon is a hairdresser and she wants a beauty therapist working there on fri's and sat's for a % basis. last wk was first wk and i was kinda thrown into it, facials, pedis, eye trios etc. she supplies equipment and products (need not have a clue of the facial products, not meeting with a rep for a few wks - wouldn't mind the price list for facial is £70 which i think is v expensive) personally i feel like i'm not really learning anything and i would rather improve my skills by getting a job in a beauty salon with other qulified experienced beauty therapists.

what i've done is taken it on and i'm also applying for beauty therapist role in a beauty salon, did a trades test on tue and will hear back over w/e.

perhaps take what you can get for the moment and also look elsewhere so that you're getting the best for your career development.....hth x

Hi

I will probably take it for the experience and if she is willing to have me like she is I would be crazy not to take it, afterall Ive had no other offers.

Just slightly nervous as there are things I am still unsure about.
xx :)

I was exactly the same, don't worry i'm sure you'll be fine. just keep looking as well x

Hi there! Its a tough industry we work in now...! I always think its best to gain experience working for someone first & building a client base, also this gives you more confidence. Keep trying to get a job in a salon working for someone if you can, I know this is hard these days! Be careful that when renting a chair with no experience that they don't take advantage, some are just in it to get the money out of you Good-luck :D

I think the most important thing you need to consider is that renting a chair, as opposed to being employed, means you'll have to become self employed. As long as you are aware of the implications and are prepared to deal with them, you should do OK, or at least as well as anybody else in your situation;)

I would advocate caution here. Renting a chair is really great for experienced, established stylists with a good client base, not a first salon job.

In Australia, this misleading behaviour was quite common and was called 'foxing'. That is, the 'employer' would post a 'job' when in reality it wasn't because essentially they wanted to lead you in and then sell you the position YOU end up paying for.

Thankfully, authorities have clamped down on this caper over here so it's not as common now as it used to be (I think the hefty fines had something to do with it *lol*) but you are right to exercise caution.

Whether you are newly qualified or not isn't an issue for me. I started out as a contractor and went great guns. And I know plenty of other girls who've gotten their first job renting a chair and have never worked in a salon as an employee so, really, it's about what you want and what you know you're capable of.

However, some things I'd be thinking about are:

- insurances
- tax issues
- clientele ownership
- shared costs - ie. advertising, utilities
- contractor's agreement (there should definitely be one!)
- leasing agreement (DEFINITELY should be one, sometimes incorporated into the contractor's agreement)
- hours of assignment
- restriction of trade

and a host of other issues you will find when you use the search feature and read other threads about contracting.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

hi, i dont think this is for u, u need to work as a junior sytlist (employed) where u can gain experiance. u are newly qualified and u will need advice and help along the way, she shoul not be prepared to rent to u its not fair on u or the existing clients!:D

Hi All

I have took all what you said on board as for being self employed I already am with another business my husband runs. I have been working free of charge in salons through out my 2 years at college also I am 35 so I seem to take alot more in.

I have took the rent a chair job on and luckily the owner has said she will help if I get stuck on anything or unsure so I am hoping it works out well.

Just the insurance I am a little unsure about which is another thread.

Thanks all once again. :)

Hi, I have replied to your other thread (Insurance) - I hope this helps.

Hi, I have replied to your other thread (Insurance) - I hope this helps.

Hi

Yeah thank you I did, I have just spoken to Salon gold and she is saying that the owner of the salon should be responsible if anything goes wrong, However the owner of the salon is saying different.

So I guess I am unsure again lol.

Thanks
Emma :)

Emma

This worries me. Salon Gold and I (via Insurance thread) has advised you of the insurance/ legal viewpoint. Unless you can persuade owner to reconsider and offer you employment, I would strongly consider your position.

There are other parties to consider - the junior and the customers.

Like everything in life (let alone in business), you can't make someone see sense if they dont want to.

Suggest that owner speaks to their insurance broker/ company and hopefully the message sinks in (3 strikes!).

In the meantime, speak to a solicitor or contact Business Link or Direct Gov for additional advice.

Good luck.

i wish i had known this when i first qualified!! i rented a chair as soon as i qualified and it was HARD!! i wish i had been employed and had the support that i needed!! best of luck with everything though x

I used to rent a chair. Personally I would never do it again, too much hassle in my opinion.
I think to be successful in renting a chair you need experience behind you and a loyal clientelle. I prefer to be mobile anyday of the week. x

Latest posts

Back