Renting a room part time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classychick

Reaction score
Morning all

was wondering if i could get some advice i have a 3 year old and right now work part time in the mornings from monday to friday now i am going nowhere in the job and i had thought about renting a room for maybe 3 days a week? now i aint looking to make a fortune just enough for a wage higher than my part time wage, i am not under any illusion i know you get what you put in.

do you think this would work or am i best just staying where i am and doing my mobile. I am just looking to better myself and support my family.

was wondering does anybody rent a room part time? does it work for you?

thanks any advice i would welcome :hug:

xxx

Hi there, I am just about to rent a room on a part time bases.
And plan to work 2 days per week and a few nights to suit my clients.

I will be paying full rent for the room (as if I where there full time)
This suits me as it means I do not have to share it with anyone else.
Some salons do rent rooms by the day or even the hour.

You have not said which 3 days you plan to work. But if it is towards the end of the week when most salons become busier I don't think you would have a problem.

I think it would be worth looking into and finding out how much it would cost you to rent and try and work out from there if it would be fees able for you after all if you are mobile all ready then you have a client base to start with which is great news.

Good Luck x

I'm renting a room and can do hourly or daily, pay for what I use at the end of the week. It's in a personal training studio and they rent the room to physio's, sports massage, complimentary therapists and me.

Thanks I was lookin to work thursday, friday and saturday wanted to keep set days so customers knew when I was there, I feel as tho I can make it work I just need to find the right location do u think a room in a hairdressers is the way to go? xx

Well at least you will be available on the 3 busiest days of the week.
Just in time for people getting ready for the weekend which is great.

Yes I think a hairdressers or even tanning salon would be a good idea.

What side of the city are you looking in?
Just in case I hear of any where. I can let you know.

I am looking to stay near the blantyre, east kilbride area for my existing clients, there are plenty of shops around me I just dont think the clientelle is there, where abouts are you? xx

Last edited:
Hi, I currently work Thursday, Friday and Saturday in a Salon (hairdressers, beauty, sunbeds, nails). I do a late night Thursday and am also available on a Monday if necessary. Im so glad I took the step to rent space as Ive been so much more busy than when I was mobile and Im getting to know regular clients....I absolutely LOVE it. I do think you need to find the right shop though, I just think I struck lucky as everyone at the shop are lovely, the owners are great and everyone seems to get on (fingers crossed it lasts!!!!!)

hi, everyone i have been asked to rent a room for 40% of what i earn a week, or i can rent it but she hasnt told me how much. I dont no weather the equiptment is included or not. Do i have to pay tax or anything i need to no before i take on the job because i am new at this and i dont what to end up in the deep end and not being able to get out, i only want to work about 16 hours mabye little bit more can anyone help please. also what is a reasonable price so i no im not getting ripped of by the room its in a hairdressers x sorry for the big long essay x

hi, everyone i have been asked to rent a room for 40% of what i earn a week, or i can rent it but she hasnt told me how much. I dont no weather the equiptment is included or not. Do i have to pay tax or anything i need to no before i take on the job because i am new at this and i dont what to end up in the deep end and not being able to get out, i only want to work about 16 hours mabye little bit more can anyone help please. also what is a reasonable price so i no im not getting ripped of by the room its in a hairdressers x sorry for the big long essay x

Hi kimmi, yes you will have to pay tax and NI as you will be self employed so you need to contact your local tax office. They will be able to help you and can answer all your questions.

Why don't you contact the salon and ask for a meeting with them to discuss what you will be getting in return for them taking 40%.
Will they be taking your bookings for you, Can you advertise yourself in there window or in the salon. Do you need to supply your own equipment?
What sort of rent would they be looking for if you where to pay rent instead of them taking a percentage from you.

When you have all your questions answered for you it will be easier for you to decide if it will be fee-sable for you or not.

Hi, I'd just like to say I've got a small place above a hair salon and my fullest days seem to be tues and wednesdays and not fri or saturday. Need to look at your area don't just assume. Di x:) (and 40% is a lot if your have to provide your own suff so find out what you get. becarefull look into it fully). (but, I love having my own space) Di:)

thank you for your reply i have set up a meeting with them i am meeting with them on monday the area is leveshulme so i dont think it will be that dear the rent they do advertise for waxing n stuff on the iternet so i would persume the equiptment id included and i would think they are taking bookings because if they want 40% then they would want me working to get the 40% but i think i would rather rent it depending on how it looks at what the space is like and if there is equiptment when i get there thanks for the reply x

Hi, I'd just like to say I've got a small place above a hair salon and my fullest days seem to be tues and wednesdays and not fri or saturday. Need to look at your area don't just assume. Di x:) (and 40% is a lot if your have to provide your own suff so find out what you get. becarefull look into it fully). (but, I love having my own space) Di:)

thanks for that Di, it just goes to show that each area is different if you are busier on a tues and wed x

Latest posts

Back