Quantcast

Renting chair, tax help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Cosmohelp

Reaction score
Hi all -

First time poster here, hopefully in the right place.

I’m leaving my employer of 11 years to rent a chair, and a bit nervous.

I’m trying to learn as much as I can, but The one question I can’t find an answer to is regarding taxes.

I understand there is a self employment tax (around 15% of my income). But do I also pay income tax on top of that (I assume so...). Not to mention city tax...

Does anyone here rent their space, and ideally have a rough amount of what they paid in taxes in comparison to their income? I’m thinking it’s around 25% but having a hard time finding the answer.

This is my main concern right now, but by all means if you rent a space and want to chime in with other tips you wish you knew beforehand, I’m all ears!!!

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
This site is predominantly U.K./Europe based so we can offer general advice about renting a chair but I recommend contacting a local business adviser/organisation who can give more specific US based financial/tax advice. My limited understanding is that tax laws vary from State to State.

Hopefully, a US based geek will be along to offer you support.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/
This thread is for UK geeks looking to rent a chair in a salon. Obviously, the laws are very different in the States but you might find some general points about managing your client records etc. helpful when negotiating a contract to rent from a salon owner.

Latest posts