Repairs on gels nails that have been tipped and had gel paint used.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17140

Reaction score
Hello, been searching through the threads looking for how different people repair chips and cracks in gel nails, but havent found what i am looking for. What i would like advice on is repairing gel particularly Brisa, i am quite new to it and am happy with my application using gel paint(not tried sculpting yet!) So if you chip a corner does it all have to be filed down , new tip etc or can it be patched with clear gel and form then put gel paint on etc, sorry if this is a silly question, just want to be sure!:)

Hello, been searching through the threads looking for how different people repair chips and cracks in gel nails, but havent found what i am looking for. What i would like advice on is repairing gel particularly Brisa, i am quite new to it and am happy with my application using gel paint(not tried sculpting yet!) So if you chip a corner does it all have to be filed down , new tip etc or can it be patched with clear gel and form then put gel paint on etc, sorry if this is a silly question, just want to be sure!:)

HI

You would FILE off the chipped/cracked product and then 'replace' with pink/clear and then re apply your white.

Just as you would when doing a rebalance.

Thanks

Amber x

Obviously I don't use Brisa, but generically speaking it should be OK to repair the corner with fibreglass & paint on clear gel.

Once fixed, you can apply your paint on white, then seal over with the clear one or shiny one (whatever you use??)

regards
Gina

Last edited:
HI

You would FILE off the chipped/cracked product and then 'replace' with pink/clear and then re apply your white.

Just as you would when doing a rebalance.

Thanks

Amber x
Cheers Amber , sorry to be a pain so i would use a clear form if it was at the free edge and apply clear or pink , then i could redo my smile?

Yes, buff down as per normal rebalance, then apply a clear form and rebuild the broken bit of the free edge and carry on as normal.
hth's

Thanks , that has been a great help!

This is what I love most about sculpting.
Repairs are so much easier.
No more removing and starting from scratch by re-tipping.
Just build back on what's still existing!
:green:

I think I got a bit confused there

I thought you only had a paint on gel and couldn't sculpt, which was why I mentioned the use of fibreglass

Gina x

I think I got a bit confused there

I thought you only had a paint on gel and couldn't sculpt, which was why I mentioned the use of fibreglass

Gina x
Sorry for the confusion, i havent tried sculpting with gel, i can sculpt with liquid and powder, just wondered how every fixes broken gels when they are tipped, because the tip is broken and the gel on top.From what everyone has said i can either use fibre glass or use a form and sculpt the missing nail piece or buff right down and reapply tip, right?. I cant sculpt gel yet! but if its easier to repair by sculpting (a missing corner for example) i am sure that i could manage that with a few practises!:)

Yep - definitely easier to sculpt a broken corner rather than re-applying a new tip...etc

If you can use a form, it is a lot less hassle that fiddling around with the fibreglass.

I only use fibreglass in combination with gel when there is a split across the nail. It is especially cool when you do a natural nail repair on a manicure client. They are amazed at how you fix the nail and you can't event tell

Gina x

Yep - definitely easier to sculpt a broken corner rather than re-applying a new tip...etc

If you can use a form, it is a lot less hassle that fiddling around with the fibreglass.

I only use fibreglass in combination with gel when there is a split across the nail. It is especially cool when you do a natural nail repair on a manicure client. They are amazed at how you fix the nail and you can't event tell

Gina x
Thats interesting , i havent done a fibre glass course yet, going to do the creative fabric course soon , do you mind me asking how you do it , only i cracked my thum nail the other week right at the stress area , i had to file right off and retip , if there is a quicker alternative id love to know!:)

prep as normal
brush on gel base layer & cure (optional and depends on thickness of gel you are using)
apply fibreglass across break
brush on gel over the fibreglass & cure
brush on 2nd coat of gel & cure
finished!!

if you haven't managed to get it smooth after the 2nd coat, smooth it out with a file and brush on another coat of gel & cure

Obviously you have to sanitise and stuff where necessary!!

Gina xx

Great! i will try that on myself next time i crack my nail, cheers!

Latest posts

Back