Retailing products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar & Spice

Reaction score
Hi

I am having a problem with Staff not selling products, I have offered commission, training courses etc but still they don't try and sell the products !

They have had product training on all the Products we offer and I am now at a loss what to do ....

Any suggested I have spent a fortune on stock and have it just sitting round and end up giving it away to try and up date it

Help please

M x

Hi

I am having a problem with Staff not selling products, I have offered commission, training courses etc but still they don't try and sell the products !

They have had product training on all the Products we offer and I am now at a loss what to do ....

Any suggested I have spent a fortune on stock and have it just sitting round and end up giving it away to try and up date it

Help please

M x

Are you offering enough commission? Sometimes when commission is low staff don't feel the need to sell.

If your commission is set properly perhaps start an incentive program for them. Each week or month set a target for them to reach. The first to reach the target amount gets something special. Either a little extra commission or a set amount , even a treatment if they are not already free for staff. The special something should be good, something they will want. I would set it to the same girl can't "win" more then twice in a row to keep moral up.

Are you offering enough commission? Sometimes when commission is low staff don't feel the need to sell.

If your commission is set properly perhaps start an incentive program for them. Each week or month set a target for them to reach. The first to reach the target amount gets something special. Either a little extra commission or a set amount , even a treatment if they are not already free for staff. The special something should be good, something they will want. I would set it to the same girl can't "win" more then twice in a row to keep moral up.

I do commission at 10% even if they sell one product the get it they can either have it in thier wages or as a give voucher to else where etc...

Tried targets and got lots of kick back about how they don't want to be pushy to clients and put them off coming back to them.

They just won't sell :( x

Is it won't or can't?
Either way they have good incentives, good product knowledge, but do they training in selling?

I run competitions for my staff. The member of staff that is first to get to a certain number of sales wins. The prize has to be good though so if I wanted to retail a certain skincare range I might say first to sell 10 products (for example) wins a hamper of the range.
I guess it depends on your staff but has really helped get products off the shelves for me.

Is it won't or can't?
Either way they have good incentives, good product knowledge, but do they training in selling?

Not Sure if it is can't or won't .. how do you know that ?

The hamper is a great idea, I think one of the problems is they don't use the products at home so they don't believe in them!!!

I let them have the professional sizes at cost price but they are just not interested

M x

Not Sure if it is can't or won't .. how do you know that ?

Maybe discuss it with them, do some role play in staff meetings, have a client questionnaire (eg Did your therapist discuss your skincare needs and make product recommendations?), perhaps sit in at the end of treatments on a couple of clients.
Good luck!

Without knowing what products you retail etc etc what about speaking to the staff and having a real discussion about what products they'd like to use in salon/retail and possibly consider investing in them.
It might be hassle but it is really tough to sell products that you don't actually like/use yourself and if they feel included in salon desicions and you can get a buzz going amongst staff, that's half the battle. Good luck!

Without knowing what products you retail etc etc what about speaking to the staff and having a real discussion about what products they'd like to use in salon/retail and possibly consider investing in them.
It might be hassle but it is really tough to sell products that you don't actually like/use yourself and if they feel included in salon desicions and you can get a buzz going amongst staff, that's half the battle. Good luck!

I agree. I find it nearly impossible to be bothered to try to sell something I don't believe in. For example, I use Dior at home. If at work I had to talk about how Nivea face wash was like "the best face wash evah!" I would just feel like a liar because I wouldnt ever use it.
If YOU love the products that you are trying to get them to sell you have to build brand loyalty. Maybe have a team bonding/training night where you all do mini facials and stuff together using the products. Mandatory attendance as its technically a staff meeting.

I'm having the same problem it's so frustrating have even gone as far as offering a hotel break away!! I have loads of different products starting from low end to high there something there for every client!!! What to do???

I agree. I find it nearly impossible to be bothered to try to sell something I don't believe in. For example, I use Dior at home. If at work I had to talk about how Nivea face wash was like "the best face wash evah!" I would just feel like a liar because I wouldnt ever use it.
If YOU love the products that you are trying to get them to sell you have to build brand loyalty. Maybe have a team bonding/training night where you all do mini facials and stuff together using the products. Mandatory attendance as its technically a staff meeting.

I think that would be a great idea esp if you made it fun and relaxed whilst still getting the info etc over x

How about getting them to choose their favourite product and that's what they have to retail this month.

Or bingo, with different products and if they get a line they get something.

Also how about teaching them how to corporate retailing into the treatment instead of pouncing on the client at the end.

Clients come for professional advice and that includes home care advice, maybe your staff need to realise that its part of the treatment. If I went for a facial and the therapist didn't even talk to me about what they used and why it would benefit me, Id feel robbed and clueless of what they've just done to my skin.

I have the same problem. Staff don't try, aren't interested in selling at all! X

Ha!
If their income was made up more of commission than salary it sure would concentrate their minds more!

If they don't need the money then why would they bother?
I suspect that might sound harsh but I'm afraid it's the truth.
If people are motivated then you have to find what it is that motivates them and tap into that. If they're not motivated then they have no place in your team.
One of the interview questions I use is "what are you going to do for MY business?"
I'm not that interested in them telling me what they think they're going to get from working with me; I'm confident that they will benefit a great deal. What really interests me is how high up their list of things to do my business is.

Every salon I've worked in and managed retailing is a contract requirement.

It's like hitting a service target you need to hit a retail target.

If you aren't profitable then you don't stay!

Last time I had a stylist who refused to sell because 'she wasn't a salesperson' lasted about 4 weeks before she walked of her own accord. Any new team member walks into an environment where it's the norm to retail.

Sounds like as a team they have made their mind up- its a hairdressers job to recommend products to a client, not sell, just recommend! Good products will do the rest.

Look at repeat sales too, if clients buy then don't buy again that might be a product quality issue.

As has already been said, in sales roles, people are generally driven by incentives.

Create competition between the therapists. You could have a bingo sheet made up for each person, with different products where a line wins a bottle of wine (plus their 10% commission), 2 lines wins a product or treatment and full house wins a half day off - something that will get them excited.

A lot of therapists don't feel comfortable with the sales aspect of their job but it really is fundamental. Role play and arming them with some good ideas/phrases for securing sales can help as well as daily coaching (even 5 minutes at the start of the day).

What about hosting an open day/evening where you offer mini facials/makeovers, for a certain amount, which is redeemable against any purchases they make on the day? This would be a good starting point for the therapists to be talking about the products and upselling.

Don't give up. At the end of the day, it is part of the job they are hired to do. It's your responsibility to ensure they're achieving this.

Lastly, ensure you set a good example and be seen to be talking about products to your clients. If you're doing it and getting success, your therapists will be watching.

Good luck xx

Not a beauty therapist myself but in hair salons that I worked in we would be given a product to present to other staff members , go back to basics , features and benefits of the products...

As for incentives ....how about battleships

Wall chart with say 50 numbered boxes under say 3 boxes there are prizes ...say a biggy like vouchers for new look ?
Each time they sell the choose a box pop there name on it .....once all filled prizes are revealed

How about make them do treatments on each other asif their clients and watch, Maybe you can see what their lacking. Knowledge, confidence, incentive, even the will to perform. Then you can work from there.

The products we are using is Dermalogica and they have been on training the 4 day course so should know about them and I do ask them to read up on them in their spare time!!

One of them is Elemis and the other is Caudlie .....I don't really want to invest in a new brand as the opening orders are so expensive and unless they start selling I don't see the potential to move the products we buy xx

Latest posts

Back