Reusable forms?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutesteph

Reaction score
I just saw some reusable forms at one of the beauty supply. Has anbody tried these??

Steph

I've tried them...
I had a very difficult time getting them to stay put.
Perhaps it's one of those things that takes getting used to, but I don't personally know anyone that uses them on a regular basis; so I'm assuming they aren't all that great, elsewise, more of us would be using them and saving ourselves a fortune.

Now that Im picturing them that makes perfect sense:eek: I knew it was too good to be true:lol:

Thanks

Not that there aren't some that aren't a dream.
I've heard tell of a special kind that I know Gigi and other geeks have that are apparently MARVELOUS... but they're not sold anywhere, anymore.:cry:

But the reuseable ones that I "think" you have in mind drove me INSANE :lol: (also, you can't 'trim' them to fit high hyponichiums or square or other oddly shaped nails)

the good old aluminium reusable forms are the best, but nobody seems to make them anymore.

The mylar ones with the strip of metal at the cuticle area don't suit everyone.

the good old aluminium reusable forms are the best, but nobody seems to make them anymore.

These are the ones I saw but they were 5 bucks each, do they suit enough people that its worth purchasing 5??

I found that they were really irritating - they never stayed where you put them. I have 2 packs of 5 and they've been in a drawer for two years. I would invest in good disposables instead.

I found that they were really irritating - they never stayed where you put them. I have 2 packs of 5 and they've been in a drawer for two years. I would invest in good disposables instead.

Actually it is not true that they are either irritating or that they don't stay put .. if it were, they would not be Carl's favourites and for many years mine (only stopped using them because CND stopped making them because of price) ...Like anything else there is a technique to using them which needs to be learned and practised. If one is not willing to do that and gives up too easily then you will never get on with anything. But when you do persevere and eventually 'click' .. you always end up wondering how you ever got on without them.

With the aluminium forms from CND (no longer made) You fitted and applied the form and held it in place as you worked and you did one nail at a time. The results were beautiful and never any seepage because of the way you held them as you worked AND one got a much better barrel C curve with them than with any paper form because of the 'pinch' ... lol Carl will know what I mean (and I do not mean pinching the product).

Actually it is not true that they are either irritating or that they don't stay put .. if it were, they would not be Carl's favourites and for many years mine (only stopped using them because CND stopped making them because of price) ...Like anything else there is a technique to using them which needs to be learned and practised. If one is not willing to do that and gives up too easily then you will never get on with anything. But when you do persevere and eventually 'click' .. you always end up wondering how you ever got on without them.

With the aluminium forms from CND (no longer made) You fitted and applied the form and held it in place as you worked and you did one nail at a time. The results were beautiful and never any seepage because of the way you held them as you worked AND one got a much better barrel C curve with them than with any paper form because of the 'pinch' ... lol Carl will know what I mean (and I do not mean pinching the product).

I loved them for the fact you fitted them, then "dented" them in slightly on the sidewalls, this created a brilliant sidewall strength barrel that cannot be done with any other form on the market.

Sometimes the "new" cannot compete with the "old".

Gawd, you just rolled em out again with a wooden dowel on a flat surface, if they became "crappy", you just soaked em in acetone, then rolled em out again.

I feel a new video coming on :)

For the time being here is an old crap one (from 2007) using an aluminium form ....., it will give you some idea.
YouTube- Acrylic Nails - Sculptured Nail with aluminium form

Not that there aren't some that aren't a dream.
I've heard tell of a special kind that I know Gigi and other geeks have that are apparently MARVELOUS... but they're not sold anywhere, anymore:cry:.

Actually it is not true that they are either irritating or that they don't stay put .. if it were, they would not be Carl's favourites and for many years mine (only stopped using them because CND stopped making them because of price) ...

With the aluminium forms from CND (no longer made) ...

Bolding mine.

Gigi, I really appreciate what you are saying about trying something, learning the correct method, and persevering until the method works for you, but I think that perhaps we are discussing two different products?

As you, Victoria and Nailzoo have attested above, the classic aluminium reusables aren't available anymore. The ones I have are mylar and easy to source, and I believe these would be the ones the OP was asking about if she located them in a beauty supply shop.

I was not aware of the aluminium forms, but would love to try them should I ever find any. However, in my opinion, the mylar reusables are fiddly and I found them to be unsatisfactory, but that's me. I'm sure there are other techs out there who've been able to put them to good use, but I really think that using a good quality disposable would give a better result that a mylar reusable. As there are some really crummy disposables out there too, that's why I mentioned good quality.

It's a shame that the aluminium ones were phased out, as there seems to be a real passion for them among users.

I think I will buy some on ebay just to try, even if they dont work out for me at least I can say I tried them for myself.

Nailzoo, I've watched all your videos on you tube over and over. I love how naturel your nails look and I love your techniques. Im a huge fan:hug:

I got reusable forms about a month ago, and i love them! so much easier and quicker than tips, i struggle with the disposable forms so until i can master them ill stick with the reusable ones!

Never had a problem getting them on or staying on, as the metal frame around the form is adjustable.

When I trained, we used reusable ones... it was nice and all, but I find it more convenient to use disp. ones because they fit anyone, or I can make them fit if you see what I mean.

going back on aluminium forms, during a master training last year a (at the time) CND tech, Polyna (now a Kodi tech) was using a blue disp cnd form and she'd place some thick aluminium square under, give it a c-curve rolling it over a c-curve stick, and then apply it on the finger. sculpt the whole nail, then move the custom form on finger 2, and so on.

Nope, it's not aluminum ones I'm referring to.

I think they were plastic, and were in two pieces? Gigi would know which ones.... for the life of me, I can't remember.

I love the reusable forms by OPI. They are metal, and covered in a teflon type coating... and have the grid lines on them also. They stay put very well once you get the hang of it. The only drawbacks are that you can't trim them to fit a very 'flat' or very deep shaped hyponichium and also best cleaned with alcohol and then sprayed with hospital grade disinfectant. (careful not to 'rub' on the edges, as it can cause the 'coating' to separate from the metal) I love using them because of the great and even 'c' curve. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back