Rich to be a Nail Technician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to be rich to be a nail tech? Over the last few weeks I have read quite a few threads/posts about training etc people saying “ooh I can’t afford to go with them”

Now thinking on this many nail techs wanting training say they can’t afford good training and go with a lesser company.

Why do people think that that going with a lesser company means bad training?

Companies are not interested in turning out nail-techs - they are interested in creating a new consumer of their product. Who needs a nail-tech that will learn everything fast and then switch to other products that are either cheaper, offer more opportunities etc?

Do you think that all those people who go a full expensive training end up doing nails, let alone, continue for years? Yet, they may stay in the industry in a different capacity.

Although it's harder for lesser companies to survive that doesn't mean they are unable at all to offer you a good training. And vice versa.

Why do people think that that going with a lesser company means bad training?

Companies are not interested in turning out nail-techs - they are interested in creating a new consumer of their product. Who needs a nail-tech that will learn everything fast and then switch to other products that are either cheaper, offer more opportunities etc?

Do you think that all those people who go a full expensive training end up doing nails, let alone, continue for years? Yet, they may stay in the industry in a different capacity.

Although it's harder for lesser companies to survive that doesn't mean they are unable at all to offer you a good training. And vice versa.

Well unfortunately here is the cynical view once again from the poster .................

My company (CND) is very invested and totally committed to turning out great nail technicians ... of course we want customers ... hello? ... why else is one in business BUT the well educated nail technician is an investment in our future as a company AS WELL as that of the nail technician ... good for everyone.

Whether you think so or not, the middle of the road and low end nail companies DO offer mediocre or just plain bad training .. full of inaccuracies and bad information .... that is the way it is. The companies who are committed to excellent training and invest their money into providing it along with the best possible products is definitely the best choice (in the UK at any rate) in almost every country I have been privileged to teach others, in actual fact.

Well unfortunately here is the cynical view once again from the poster .................

Yeah, offend me again..............

How can you know for sure that those lesser companies are not committed or motivated more than a big company?

Yeah, offend me again..............

How can you know for sure that those lesser companies are not committed or motivated more than a big company?

Not aware that I have ever offended you before but Why be offended anyway? .. your viewpoint is cynical .. end of story. To make a sweeping statement like "Companies are not interested in turning out nail-techs - they are interested in creating a new consumer of their product." is both cynical as well as untrue. What's more if you believe what you said above then ergo you must believe that "lesser companies," as you call them, must have the same attitude.

BIG difference ... for example. CND only sell pro products to technicians who take CND education. "lesser companies" sell to anybody with or without any education so therefore do not have to commit to good education or anything else ... they let anyone roll up and buy.

Can you possibly believe that I speak for the sake of speaking and am unaware of what other companies offer in the way of education, that I am speaking out of my butt?? I know of what I speak not only that .. One only has to read the posts on this site and where folks have trained to see the proof every day of the week of the level of education so many are getting by taking the cheap fast route ...

You apparently are blessed in your country with wonderful education so I hear .... it is not so in the UK for which I speak.

Last edited:
just my opinion so not wishing to offend anyone!!

surely you get what you pay for!!! I did a foundation course with NSI and have been verry lucky to have constant support and contact with my educator. When i researched being a nail technician there were a few more expensive courses and yes the quick and cheap options.
I am now glad that i chose a more expensive courses as i have trust and confidence in my products and training and they are always there to help. I know there in business and so its important to them there they give good training ect so that you are successful.

However on the other hand i know of 2 other ladies who chose the cheaper option where you get shown more than one type of application in a couple of days using products that are cheap and have constant service breakdown, no support or further help!! Both have stopped offering nail services and i feel its a shame for these ladies that they didnt get quality and i guess by not spending slightly more have lost alot more in the long run!!

So yes in england i would definately say in the majority of cases the bigger companies are in it for the long run and to support and guide their nail techs!

Going to step in here and say that there is a smaller company here in the U.S. that offers products at a much reduced price. They are, IMO, not less than the bigger companies and here is why:

1. They have good quality products that compare with other companies at a more than reasonable price.
2. Their customer services is above reproach and surpasses the bigger companies. Especially when I can reach the same person every time.
3. They have done their research and you can call them anytime and ask questions. If they don't know the answer they will get back to you with one.
4. I know they aren't just out to sell me the newest and latest gadget just to upsell and make a big profit. They sell me what I need and it does what I want it to.

I would much prefer to go with a smaller company that offers personal one on one service and attention, especially if their prices are reasonable and the products compare in quality.

Latest posts

Back