Right way vs wrong way of applying L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arhnails

Reaction score
O.K. I am a new tech. Found nailgeek while in school. Have been working about 2 months. Here is the thing, the salon I work in wants me to be faster at L&P. I know that I will pick up speed the more I do it. But I have watched 2 nail techs in my area that have full books and apply sets or fills in an hour.

The first tech, performed no prep, had a open cup of acetone on her desk that she used for everything, cleaning nails, cleaned acrylic brush in after acrylics.
No hand washing until after service to remove dust before polish. Did not look like she had ratio. Used patting stroking method. Used same file on everyone.
All the methods that Creative training says do not do. Used OPI bond aid instead of primer. Tammy taylor powder.

2nd nail tech, same methods, only prep is filing pushing cuticle back with file, no cleaning, used same monomer all the time. cleaned brush with orangewood stick when finished. same file used on everyone. only cleaned before polish. no primer , used creative radical and creative powder. Nipped old acrylic off and removed some nails with nippers.

The thing is these two techs, nails stay on. They do have fill lines of course. but they are in demand and women like these nails.

My question is I guess, I want to do things the creative way, but how can they not and the nails stay on?

arhnails said:
O.K. I am a new tech. Found nailgeek while in school. Have been working about 2 months. Here is the thing, the salon I work in wants me to be faster at L&P. I know that I will pick up speed the more I do it. But I have watched 2 nail techs in my area that have full books and apply sets or fills in an hour.

The first tech, performed no prep, had a open cup of acetone on her desk that she used for everything, cleaning nails, cleaned acrylic brush in after acrylics.
No hand washing until after service to remove dust before polish. Did not look like she had ratio. Used patting stroking method. Used same file on everyone.
All the methods that Creative training says do not do. Used OPI bond aid instead of primer. Tammy taylor powder.

2nd nail tech, same methods, only prep is filing pushing cuticle back with file, no cleaning, used same monomer all the time. cleaned brush with orangewood stick when finished. same file used on everyone. only cleaned before polish. no primer , used creative radical and creative powder. Nipped old acrylic off and removed some nails with nippers.

The thing is these two techs, nails stay on. They do have fill lines of course. but they are in demand and women like these nails.

My question is I guess, I want to do things the creative way, but how can they not and the nails stay on?
Well it's pretty simple really. The nails stay on because they de-hydrate and de-grease the nail with acetone, then use primer, and they file the surface too by the sounds of it... and the nails are thinned and damaged in the process.

Enhancements can stay on without all that trauma and the natural nails stay healthy and in tact.

Depends on which type of technician you want to be? Professional with an eye to nurturing your client's nails, or amateur speed/shortcut merchants who really could give a damn as long as the money keeps rolling in and their clients are ignorant about what they are doing.

I've chosen my route and always had a full book and made plenty of money and kept a loyal clientele.

well put Geeg! I know the route I am on too and I know it's wishful thinking but I wish every tech was doing the same!

I do agree with you Geeg, I wish and am trying very hard to do things the proper way. I'm simply feeling pressured by the salon to pick up speed quickly. When I know that gaining speed takes time to learn and practice. the salon owner is afraid of losing nail clients, who also are hair clients. Both stylists (owner and other) have said that I perform more steps than other nail techs.

In defense of the other techs ( kind of) this is what is being taught in schools here also. I did not know the proper way until coming to this board and reading the Geek's and now your tutorials.

Ok I've vented my frustrations enough ...LOL

I do thank everyone on this board for the wonderful information and learning.....

As with all things.... Practice makes perfect!!!
In the beginning I took five hours to do a set of L&P nails...... By the time I opened my own salon I took between 1 1/2 to 2 hours.....this seems a long time, but I never sacrificed quality for quantity.
(After 4 years) I now do a complete set anywhere between 45mins and 1 1/2 hours, this is according to the quality and condition of the nail to start, and of course if my client knows already what she wants! It took me a long time to build up to that timing and sometimes, If i've had a particularly difficult set Ive even taken two hours...there is no hard set rule, ......time is money, but bad nails will cost the salon more in the long run!!
Sue x
I hope this helps!!!

my guess is the salon owner will soon have nothing but praise for you! Your clients won't be the ones coming back with complaints to her about damaged nails! Stick to the way you know is the right way and the clients will be asking for you more and more...I know I would :) I would pay for quality and professionally applied nails anytime!(well I would if I couldnt do my own that is :wink2: :lol:

arhnails said:
I do agree with you Geeg, I wish and am trying very hard to do things the proper way. I'm simply feeling pressured by the salon to pick up speed quickly. When I know that gaining speed takes time to learn and practice. the salon owner is afraid of losing nail clients, who also are hair clients. Both stylists (owner and other) have said that I perform more steps than other nail techs.

In defense of the other techs ( kind of) this is what is being taught in schools here also. I did not know the proper way until coming to this board and reading the Geek's and now your tutorials.

Ok I've vented my frustrations enough ...LOL

I do thank everyone on this board for the wonderful information and learning.....

i can't add any more to this than has already been said except - and trust me on this - if you have ever had your own nail plate filed through by a bad nail technician, you would be happy to pay well over the going rate if you knew that your technician was not going to do that to you.

Ditto on everything said especially what Gigi mentioned).
At the end of the day, they are doing things the way that NO ONE would recommend. The funny thing is that rebalances are only 1 hour on average so it only sounds like they are saving a touch of time on new sets. Whoopee. The extra time saved on the average set is costing their clients... not them.

I dont know who trained them... however it doesnt take any more than an occasional class to update your skills and learn about safe application.

Best of luck to them (and their clients) I hope you know the best way forward for the people wanting to pay you to take care of their nails.

I have a little addition to all the great comments.

There is also the matter of educating the client. The clients of these other salons obviously are not aware that fill lines are unacceptable and unecessary. Also they are not aware that looking after the natural nail and keeping it healthy and strong is an essential part of 'nails'.

No professional technician should have bad comments to make about another but........drawing attention to no lines and the care that YOU take in looking after your clients and their nails (why and how) will filter through!

Stick to your opinions and put quality first

Marian

Latest posts

Back