Rio UV Light

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennijar

Reaction score
I was bought this set for Christmas, I checked that it was working, but hadn't used it until the other day, after our tutor showed us how to do a gel overlay. Last night I did the full prep to the letter, applied the gel, but it didn't seem to set properly (I used the gel that came in the kit). Is this lamp not as strong as the small oblong ones or did I do something wrong. I am really upset now as the nail overlays I did at college looked fab.

if you are using the stuff that came with the lamp it should be ok is it just used on yourself I havent used rio as I do clients nails with pro stuff and an ok lamp which is fine for mobile they set perfectly but if its just for yourself then ok dont know if any other geeks practised or started with rio

pennijar said:
I was bought this set for Christmas, I checked that it was working, but hadn't used it until the other day, after our tutor showed us how to do a gel overlay. Last night I did the full prep to the letter, applied the gel, but it didn't seem to set properly (I used the gel that came in the kit). Is this lamp not as strong as the small oblong ones or did I do something wrong. I am really upset now as the nail overlays I did at college looked fab.

Hi,

The problem with Rio is that it isn't a quality gel kit. I started with this and now use NSI and the difference is unbelievable. I never used to be able to cure my nails under the lamp without them pitting and looking awful. The lamp isn't as strong, I can't remember what wattage it is though.

I would suggest that you sort yourself out with some professional gel and a new lamp and start from there.

HTH

The lamp is input 230v - 50Hz 11w, I have just been to get it out to check, are the normal salon ones higher than this. Mum thought she was doing me a favour buying me this for Christmas, I am beginning to think she didn't, if it doesn't work properly what is the point.

Joan

a friend gave me a rio lamp and i have to say ...it is pants !!!!!!
i tried using it to cure permagloss and it didnt work ,not even a tiddy little bit,im gunna get a decent one after christmas.
id just get a new one hun ...my friend has got the rio kit too ,she tried it with permagloss aswell and it didnt work ,so i know its not just my lamp,
but then and again they arnt supposed to be used professionally,just "have a go at doing them your self kits"
which in a way does us a favour coz people buy these kits and realise they cant do them themselves ,and then we gain their custom lol :D
let us know how you get on love xxxx

dont beat yourself up love. the rio is a rubish product which even the most professional tech would strugle to get a result with.
you need a professional product and a quality lamp.
try www.youngnails.co.uk i think they have a special offer on where you get a lamp and a gloss finish gel at a brilliant discount. and their trial kits for gel are very well priced, also you could look at the nails plus beauty site [link via schtuff at the top of this page.

Thanks Peeps,

It isn't just me then, I knew I was not doing anything wrong, seems like I am going to have to get some cash together to get another lamp and some decent gel then. :D(tongue in cheek) anyone want to buy a used once Rio Lamp and kit:D

Joan

the exact same happened to me i did some on my course and they were brill tried thm at home with the rio kit and were just sloppy and did nt dry at all

So whats the best one to buy???????

lisaloveliness said:
the exact same happened to me i did some on my course and they were brill tried thm at home with the rio kit and were just sloppy and did nt dry at all

So whats the best one to buy???????

best lamp is the one that is recomended for use with your gel

best gel, well theres a lot of good ones on the market.
for the one that gives best results with the easiest application i would say le chat. though other great ones are akzentz, young nails, brisa ezflow gel it.............

Apart from the different lamps I have with certain kits, I have always found the daylight company uv tunnel lamp to be brill and at around £90 a good buy.

pennijar said:
The lamp is input 230v - 50Hz 11w, I have just been to get it out to check, are the normal salon ones higher than this. Mum thought she was doing me a favour buying me this for Christmas, I am beginning to think she didn't, if it doesn't work properly what is the point.

check out these two articles, one by Amber (Minkus) and the other by me :wink2:

Choosing the Correct Gel and Choosing a UV Lamp for your Gel System
hth's

Cheeky I know but has anyone got an old one that works but they dont use, that they could let me have cheap, I want to and need to practise, especially as my confidence has been rocked with the Rio one. Please PM me privately

I will love you forever

Joan

pennijar said:
Cheeky I know but has anyone got an old one that works but they dont use, that they could let me have cheap, I want to and need to practise, especially as my confidence has been rocked with the Rio one. Please PM me privately

I will love you forever

Joan
check out Geekbay, if there's none for sale then put up a wanted advert on there.

Given the overlays you did at college were fine, I would suggest that it's the rio lamp as it's only a 9w lamp i had a similar problem quite some time ago and found myself having to cure very thin layers of gel for longer than the reccomended time to achieve a reasonable result. I personally would reccomend getting a 36w watt lamp as thats what they use in the colleges and salons. these can be found on ebay pretty cheaply (i got mine for less than 30.00). hope this helps.

Its the lamp hun it wont cure the gel! i got it as a prezzie and i was upset wen i was came to wipe the sticky top layer off and it all went!!!!
kirsty xxx

I don't think you have noticed girls ..but this thread dates back to June 2006!!!
I think Pennijar will have solved her lamp problems by now lol:lol:

There have been many threads about Rio Kits on this site, none of them complimentary!!!....and rightly so!!! As we are all professionals on here, using professional products!!!

Latest posts

Back