Rockstar nail disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezbelle

Reaction score
Hello there I tried doing rockstar nails with shellac it looked great untill I top coated it using a spare shellac top coat please help me as
I really dont know what I am doing wrong.
I was thinking maybe i need to use a finer glitter as the glitter I used was quite thick, but as I said it looked really good before I top coated after it looked like a real mess :sad:
could someone put a step by step guide also if it is the glitter is it possible to maybe use the thicker glitter with normal nail polish
also how do you geeks do a glitter tip that lasts
Many Thanks
:D

I use larger grain glitter and it can look patchy when I put the top coat on. I find this is because shellac top coat can be gloopy and it 'drags' the glitter back off. My top tip is REALLY shake the bottle before use and make sure you're only putting a thin layer on. I always do 2 layers of top coat on rockstars to get it smooth. Hth x

Hi, if you do a search there's quite a few Long threads on rockstars with lots of tips etc.xx

:Dthank you mobilenailsfd I will definately try that but im just wondering if it could of been the gitter as i said it wasnt that fine :) just have to keep trying will search other posts too xxx

Hi just hijacking here!
I had shellac rockstar today and my nails feel rough! Should they be smooth? Only one of them does!
The lady said she'll pop by tomo and buff them then top coat again.

apply thin layer of base coat cure for 10 secs apply thin layer of colour of your choice sprinkle glitter on pat down slightly then cure for 2 mins then brush away excess glitter then apply top coat 2 times should not feel rough x i did it on my toes 5 weeks ago and still looks fab x

Hi I do rockstars with a variety of glitters, some of them quite chunky and they always look good and are never rough. Do your base coat then colour coats and cure as per normal, then stipple your glitter into the sticky layer with an old gel brush. This needs a bit more work with a chunkier glitter but just keep stippling it on, then brush over it thoroughly with the same gel brush to get rid of the excess, then topcoat and cure. If you've really scrubbed the glitter in and brushed it thoroughly to get rid of the excess it should be smooth but you could always do a second top coat just to get it really smooth :D

Thank you LEF for posting this video I will watch :)
Shellac queen i will try again :)
Chelle what sort of brush would you recommend??? stipple???? sorry if that makes me sound stupid :o im going to try again with a finer glitter but when I top coat not only did it look messy it ruined the effect of the glitter as took the holographic sheen on any recommendations :D please x

treasure 99 Im pretty sure it should be smooth :) im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong x
I just hope I can use the glitter I got as its soooo pretty :D

apply thin layer of base coat cure for 10 secs apply thin layer of colour of your choice sprinkle glitter on pat down slightly then cure for 2 mins then brush away excess glitter then apply top coat 2 times should not feel rough x i did it on my toes 5 weeks ago and still looks fab x

Just to correct what you have stated in your post which is incorrect, we should only ever be applying glitter into the already cured layer of colour coat, never in uncured as this may not cure correctly and lead to over exposure issues for your clients..
If you are applying it into uncured shellac and then topcoating that is where the issue is as the colour coat layer may not have cured properly so when you apply the top coat it will drag everything off where it hasn't cured correctly.
You have to really work that glitter into the cured colour coat, and make sure that you really brush off the excess, and should be using either a layer of clearly pink over the glitter first cure and apply topcoat or apply 2 layers of topcoat so that the glitter if it is the larger chunks is completely covered and smooth. Any rough bits will dull oer time and may even lead to your client picking at it and damaging the shellac
Jen x

LEF very excited to try this out on someone thanks again for posting :D

I do it the way Jen said, applying the glitter onto the tacky layer of cured colour.

The glitter should be fine. I pat/dab mine on gently until I have covered the nail, then I brush down and across the nail to aid adhesion and remove excess from both the nail and the side walls etc.

Then, either a glitter finish over the top like Mother of Pearl or Silver VIP Status, before my top coat. Or I do x2 topcoats for a smooth finish, making sure I completely seal over the glitter.

These are mine atm, using Irresistable holographic fine purple glitter, but using with Artistic colour gloss rather than Shellac on this ocassion.

Artisticcolourglosssmaller.jpg

Thank you so much for your answers Busybee32 and Nicole333 I am giving this ago tonight hopefully i will get on ok :) x :irked:

Just to correct what you have stated in your post which is incorrect, we should only ever be applying glitter into the already cured layer of colour coat, never in uncured as this may not cure correctly and lead to over exposure issues for your clients..
If you are applying it into uncured shellac and then topcoating that is where the issue is as the colour coat layer may not have cured properly so when you apply the top coat it will drag everything off where it hasn't cured correctly.
You have to really work that glitter into the cured colour coat, and make sure that you really brush off the excess, and should be using either a layer of clearly pink over the glitter first cure and apply topcoat or apply 2 layers of topcoat so that the glitter if it is the larger chunks is completely covered and smooth. Any rough bits will dull oer time and may even lead to your client picking at it and damaging the shellac
Jen x

There are two methods. The glitter sprinkled onto the uncured Shellac is actually how I was taught to do it in a CND class last year (although I do prefer to burnish it into the cured Shellac colour coat), so she was not wrong, just mentioning a different method which gives a different look.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Ok I feel like doing cartwheels thank you geeks managed to do rockstar nails oh yeah !!!!all thanks to you guys truly greatful :D:hug::Love:

There are two methods. The glitter sprinkled onto the uncured Shellac is actually how I was taught to do it in a CND class last year (although I do prefer to burnish it into the cured Shellac colour coat), so she was not wrong, just mentioning a different method which gives a different look.

The official CND way is to burnish into Cured inhibition layer as you mess with the cure optimality when adding glitter to uncured product, I'm not sure who advised you but maybe you were mistaken?
I have never advised any of my students to do it this way, nor is it in any of the CND facilitator guides to apply glitter into uncured shellac, always the cured colour coat.
As an educator for CND I would like to think that am safe in the knowledge that I am posting the correct, upto date and relevant information.
Sorry hun.
xxx
Jen

The official CND way is to burnish into Cured inhibition layer as you mess with the cure optimality when adding glitter to uncured product, I'm not sure who advised you but maybe you were mistaken?
I have never advised any of my students to do it this way, nor is it in any of the CND facilitator guides to apply glitter into uncured shellac, always the cured colour coat.
As an educator for CND I would like to think that am safe in the knowledge that I am posting the correct, upto date and relevant information.
Sorry hun.
xxx
Jen

No, I am not mistaken. As I said, that is the method that was taught on a rockstar specific class at CND last year, so I'm sure plenty of people picked up that on method and that is perhaps why the other poster user that method. I, however, have never liked it and have always burnished it into the inhibition layer, rendering that class I took a complete waste of time and money!

Thank you LEF for posting this video I will watch :)
Shellac queen i will try again :)
Chelle what sort of brush would you recommend??? stipple???? sorry if that makes me sound stupid :o im going to try again with a finer glitter but when I top coat not only did it look messy it ruined the effect of the glitter as took the holographic sheen on any recommendations :D please x

Hi Chezbelle, it sounds like you've already cracked it, but just to clarify, by "stipple" I mean get your gel brush (I use an old Brisa brush), dampen it ever so slightly with d-sperse (then dry it off so your brush is practically dry), pick up your glitter on the brush and kind of scrub it into the inhibition layer. Be firm and thorough and brush all the excess off before top-coating. I do it this way and have never had a problem :hug:

No, I am not mistaken. As I said, that is the method that was taught on a rockstar specific class at CND last year, so I'm sure plenty of people picked up that on method and that is perhaps why the other poster user that method. I, however, have never liked it and have always burnished it into the inhibition layer, rendering that class I took a complete waste of time and money!

Just to add my two pennies worth - I was taught the same! But like you didn't like it, so now don't use that method, and apply to cured layer instead.

Latest posts

Back