Rockstar nails won't stay on!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this.
The beauty therapist who works with me normally has trouble getting regular polish to last on her nails for more that 1 day.
She was delighted when I got shellac in as it lasts on her for about a week.
When I got the glitters in she loved them and wanted to try them out.
Now we do a lot of shellac clients and we've not had any problems at all. We also do the rockstar nails and again, no problems at all.
The rockstar nails on her though won't even last a day and they peel off in one.
We can't understand how come the shellac will last on her but the glitter nails just peel off.
She uses all CND products and uses shellac base and top coat.
Why would the shellac last and the glitter nails not?
Any ideas?

Whats her step by step method hun? might help in seeing where the problem is....:) x

Pep
Scrubfresh
Base coat-cure for 10 seconds
Shellac colour with glitter on - cure for two minutes
Top coat-cure for two minutes
top coat-cure for two mins
wipe with d-sperse
solar oil

This is what she does with every clients and has no problems
Mine stay on for 3 weeks

I was trained to scrub the glitter into the tacky layer to avoid any curing problems?
Also,may sound silly but is she doing her cuticle work properly? As on your self,usually when using weaker hand,she might not be removing all the cuticle which is then causing the lifting problems?xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

She could try scrubbing it into the tacky layer instead. I think it holds a bit better.

Hmmm, i wonder if it is something that she isn't quite doing properly on herself? I know that i have a bit of trouble, lol.

I did pink off one rockstar nail on my toe last time i wearing them, but i probably didn't do them properly enough as i was in a bit of a hurry. However, my rockstar fingernails, including embedded dried flowers on the ring fingers, have lasted no problem.

Hopefully Geeg will come along soon and enlighten us xx

Hi Angelina221 I too do this same process as you described and on every client I've done i never have any issues,
On my self though my right hand never lasts as long purely just because I can't Get a perfect application using my left hand :(

I just wondered if its both hands and also do she have the same issues if another tech does them for her? X

It may be worth curing the colour coat first and then putting the glitter in the tacky layer as someone has mentioned - I do this method and it works well for me.

Doesn't really solve the mystery though if she is using the other method on everyone else and not having problems.

I started doing it the same way has you, and that did not work they just peeled off. Then I started to cure the shellac first and rub the glitter in the tacky layer, with fine glitter. works a treat and lasts for ages ;-) xxx

She has also tried it with putting the glitter in the tacky layer and it still peels off.
She is doing it correctly, as I said she has no problem when she applies just shellac to her nails.
It's very strange!

I did Shellac course on Monday and we were told the following

Cuticle and Prep Work
Base Coat - Cure
1st Colour Coat - Cure
Press in glitter with gel brush
2 x Top Coats

Have not tried it yet though but have glitter at the ready!

x

She has also tried it with putting the glitter in the tacky layer and it still peels off.
She is doing it correctly, as I said she has no problem when she applies just shellac to her nails.
It's very strange!

This is a strange one. Could it have anything to do with the slight extra thickness of rockstars? Although it would explain polish peeling off too. A mystery! X

Just have a question for people that are doing rock star nails. I don't have shellac (yet ;)) but I do offer brisa gels. Does the same apply for putting glitter into the tacky layer of uv top coat after curing, then apply another layer of top coat again and cure? Am waiting on glitter and can't wait ;). Sorry for butting in on the topic :)

Ok hears some ideas , just from my own trial and error , hope they help x

Is she applying it to her self or someone else doing it for her? Sometimes angles of doing your own can make a major difference ,
and the amount used design etc,

Top coat , it is so so tempting to top coat that bit thicker on rock stars to cover the glitter , especially when doing your own ! It's got to be thin to win , After first coat it's ok if it's a bit like sand paper , we know this with clients but often on our selfs rules go abut out of the window ;)

As you know each layer Shuld be sealed at free edge , but I have found if there is any glitter on the free edge it will promote it to peel,

As with glitter polish the consistency is different when removing , I find when I soak oft off it comes away in much larger flakes than a regular shellac would , and alot faster ,
Is it possible it's being exposed to removers as she is working on other clients ?

She is a beauty therapist ? Is she using other products for other treatments that could be having an effect?

I would get her to try again , scrub fresh like mental , one color glitter, using the inhibition layer to stick it. Removing any stray glitters from sides of free edge , top coat thin x2 .

Just have a question for people that are doing rock star nails. I don't have shellac (yet ;)) but I do offer brisa gels. Does the same apply for putting glitter into the tacky layer of uv top coat after curing, then apply another layer of top coat again and cure? Am waiting on glitter and can't wait ;). Sorry for butting in on the topic :)

If doing gels I would do a clear enhancement but thin with out an apex ,
This enables re balance with out having to start from scratch ,
Then I would do art / glitter what ever ,
Then more gel and finish

Doing like this will give amazing gloss and magnifying effect to your glitter .

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life as I myself am having the same problem.

I do the scrubbing into the sticky layer method and on myself I have only my ring finger done and mines has been fine. But I done a girl I work with who is a serious picker and a little corner of hers came up. She had short nails so I put it down to her picking really.

But during the week there I done my friends whos shellac normally last and hers has chipped too. I am thinking I may be applying the top coat too thick to cover the glitter so I will try keeping it thin next time.

I hope that solves it.

When you say you're 'scrubbing' the glitter into the tacky layer, what exactly do you mean by this and how are you doing it?

I recently did the Shellac Rockstar course and I was tought to sprinkle the fine glitter onto the colour coat and cure for 2 mins, then remove any excess glitter gently with a nail brush before applying 2 thin layers of top coat....however, I too am having problems with my rockstar!....despite doing as I was shown, my rockstars still feel like sandpaper when they are done (my tutors felt really smooth) for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :rolleyes: If I apply thicker coats of topcoat it still sinks in to the glitter and they chip. Someone suggested removing the tacky layer after the first layer of topcoat and lightly buffing the glitter down before applying the second layer of topcoat and curing - does anyone know if this works or will effect they layering system between each coat?

Thanks
Vicky

I am using a gel brush and picking up the glitter with the brush and rubbing it onto the tacky layer.

I find this is less wastage to the glitter and there's no rough bits poking up. (with my glitter anyway as its quite fine)

When you say you're 'scrubbing' the glitter into the tacky layer, what exactly do you mean by this and how are you doing it?

I recently did the Shellac Rockstar course and I was tought to sprinkle the fine glitter onto the colour coat and cure for 2 mins, then remove any excess glitter gently with a nail brush before applying 2 thin layers of top coat....however, I too am having problems with my rockstar!....despite doing as I was shown, my rockstars still feel like sandpaper when they are done (my tutors felt really smooth) for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :rolleyes: If I apply thicker coats of topcoat it still sinks in to the glitter and they chip. Someone suggested removing the tacky layer after the first layer of topcoat and lightly buffing the glitter down before applying the second layer of topcoat and curing - does anyone know if this works or will effect they layering system between each coat?

Thanks
Vicky

Was this class run through S2?

I think it sounds like your using to much glitter , or one that is to course ?
If your sprinkling into the wet color coat you will surely loose some of the glitter effect to?

You may also be getting tempted to add that color coat thicker than normal? Thin to win ,

This is what I do , ( mostly the inhibition layer way.

Pep
Base/ cure
Color thin (shellac it's clearly pink 4 me)/ cure
Cure
2nd coat /cure
Flat square DRY brush dipped in glitter
turn brush ( like spooning but not heaped ) apply to nail with pats

When where wanted remove excess ( I use a fan brush but what ever as long as it's dry and your gentely smoothing ,

Make sure no excess on free edge or sides

Top coat , one direction , keep thin

Cure

Repeat ,

Wipe inhibition off

If you feel any bumps gently buff away and top coat.

Some I did earlier

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1325207084.122382.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1325207107.218379.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1325207128.049775.jpg

So you do 2 coats of colour?

Latest posts

Back