Room to rent price too high?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newatnails

Reaction score
Hi guys.,
I know that rooms to rent and the prices per week/month must differ from region to region. Maybe I have been abit naïve., I've been offered to rent a room above a tanning salon in Greater Manchester area., it is a busy town centre (not Manchester however)., and they have regular clients who will hopefully be wanting beauty treatments. When I initially went into view it., I was told (I thought., I probably misunderstood) that the room would be £125 per month (including the stock that was there for now.,then it would be upto me to replenish the stock once that had been used).

I've now received formal offer in writing which I was thrilled to bits abit., then saw that the rent is £500 per month ?

Is this average for room rental., it's only small (just enough room for a bed and a nail table) I know there's quite abit of stock there atm., but after that's gone I have to buy my own stock and still pay that amount of Rent ??

I've only been working on friends/family this year., so will be starting from scratch building a client base., will obviously start with the tanning salons own customers 1st., then go out into the town centre for more.

At 1st I can only work 2 days a week (but the room is mine no one else can use it) so feel this is really high ? Or am I wrong ?

I've seen a room on here for rent in the London area for £60 per week., so I am thinking this is way too much to be asking.

Should I be seeing if we can negotiate on this do you think ?

Thanks for all your help x

It is high seen as though you wont be using it for more than 2 days but understand that the room is only yours.

Could you ask for a daily rent until you can work full time? Maybe set a time frame up of when you will be able to use the room full time.

It isnt that bad of a price in general, ive seen them for anywhere between £50-£250 per week & anything in the middle. The size obviously varies & so does the location. Ive seen just nail desks for £125 per week.

Where are you in Gtr Manchester? Xx

If you can only rent a room for 2 days then ask to only rent for 2 days.

You cannot expect the rent to be lowered if you want the room to be yours all week but can only work 2 days in it out of the week.

So you would be paying roughly around £25 per day which is the average. You won't find much cheaper.

Why don't you look for a room that you can rent daily so you dont have to commit to the 5-6 days a week rent.

Also £60 per week for a room in london is very low so I would maybe see if there are extras etc.

Laura x

That sounds good to me. I rent a room out for £100 per week, and had the leasee half the legal fees for drawing up the sublease. I had to have permission from my landlord and all the legalities sorted out beforehand, so keep this in mind if the salon is leased and not owned.

Latest posts

Back