Room too small to create home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie101

Reaction score
My partner has a converted garage (only half) and he said I can have a salon in there, I was over the moon been excited for months waiting for June/July to get it ready and start.... Last week was first time of doing a treatment (it was spray tan on a friend and didn't fancy doing it anywhere else in the house) but putting up the tent I realised I've literally just got room for me to step back to spray and bit of room around side of tent about 40-50cms ... If I was to make it into a salon I would have to keep putting couch down and I feel it would be too crammed once I start putting things in there. Don't know what to do 😔 just deal with it not being big enough or still try and see if it works out? X

I too have a small treatment room,

You do need to be practical and make sure there is enough room to work, and move around without it feeling awkward. There are ways you can maximise on space. Maybe have a cute folding chair for the client to put their clothes on etc. Choose a facial type massage bed, that has a small footprint, so that when its not in use, it takes up less space, or a mobile couch that can be folded away when not in use or when you have your tanning tent up.

I don't do tanning...is it possible to find a smaller/different shaped tent to maximise on workable space?

good luck x

Thanks for the reply, I do have a couch I can fold down an move but just feel I will start getting annoyed constantly putting it up and down, I really want a log cabin and always so this but definitely no room for it :( and the tent I think is a standard tent, if I had smaller I would struggle as I have a tall friend and when she has one arm up she has to slightly bend so wouldn't want a smaller tent. Just don't know what to do don't want to give up as I've been excited so long!, what size is your room? X

Can you post a photo of the space and perhaps we can have more of an idea when we can see what you have to work with.

Small, compact spaces most definitely can work though- just think about what people fit in caravans! And equally those who have pamper vans, they somehow cram such a lot into a tiny space. You don't want it to feel claustrophobic of course, so it's important to optimise the space to the best way possible. And then of course, you could grow into a log cabin in the future maybe?? xx

For tanning maybe you could put a tiled area in the corner (kind of like a wet room corner) that you could do your tanning in and then just wash it down after each client? those tents are huge! x

When Im there tomorrow ill measure up the room an get a photo for you,
I want this to work I really do :( x

I don't have my tanning tent up all the time, only when I have spray tans in so I don't really find it that annoying? My room is just the size of a bedroom.

Well it i only had the tent up and feeling like room will be small wont it be even worse when I have all products and equipment in there? And need room for nail desk too so if I have a spray tan booked ill have to take desk and couch out everytime? X

Hi,
I have quite a small room too and I have to take my couch down when I do spray tans but it works its not so bad when you get used to it, and for manicures I don't have space for a manicure desk so I have to do these in my kitchen seperately but that's all and it means that a majority of the time my couch is left set up! Do you have any additional space you could do manicures in to save you the space of a manicure table??xx
🌸

Hi,
I have quite a small room too and I have to take my couch down when I do spray tans but it works its not so bad when you get used to it, and for manicures I don't have space for a manicure desk so I have to do these in my kitchen seperately but that's all and it means that a majority of the time my couch is left set up! Do you have any additional space you could do manicures in to save you the space of a manicure table??xx
🌸

Well there's a spare bedroom however that means client entering the house and I wasn't really keen on that idea, and I wanted to keep it separate xx

You could use your couch when doing nails too :) try to go to ikea they are brilliant for space ideas x

I have a log cabin and its only 10ft by 10ft. I do spray tanning and have to push my manicure table to the side and squeeze my tent in. It's fine, it fits but I don't have much room to move around. I normally leave the cabin so the client gets undressed and dressed, that way the only time we are both in the room is when client is on the tent. It really isn't a problem as I put the tent down as soon as we are done.

I also have a couch and a small wicker chair in my cabin.

Well it i only had the tent up and feeling like room will be small wont it be even worse when I have all products and equipment in there? And need room for nail desk too so if I have a spray tan booked ill have to take desk and couch out everytime? X

I'm sure I've seen a picture of a nail desk that is hinged to a wall, so that when you are not using it, it lays flat against the wall.

I'm sure I've seen a picture of a nail desk that is hinged to a wall, so that when you are not using it, it lays flat against the wall.

That's a clever idea but knowing me it will collapse when dealing with a client haha :/. I'm interested in a cabin but definitely no room as its a sloping garden too so that doesn't help :( x

I've measured up finally!

It's 7ft 8 but I lose 2ft for washing machine/freezer/boiler in a row on the side (but can have shelves above that for products) by 7ft 2!
What do you think? Too small? X

My beauty room is in the spare room (box room) its enough space for my couch and nail table (both are mobile so fold down) Or tan tent ...
I just have to adjust the room to suit what I have booked in, it works for me. Or should I say I make it work for me....
I'd like for the garage to be converted eventually but can't afford that yet and if I had a loan it's not going to make my boat go faster so I'm not prepared to have more debt to my mortgage at the moment - id rather save for it.
I'd just make it work for you ....

Everyone who comes loves my beauty room and I love the fact that my stuff can be used mobile if I need to so works both ways for me.

Just so you can see how mine is set up for room, I usually push my table to the side so I can get round the couch - but leave it set up like this if clients come in for nails so they can see it all set up - don't know if this helps with any ideas for you.. X

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365434881.538036.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365434881.538036.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 384
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365434918.623915.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365434918.623915.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 353
Thanks for that! Gave me some confidence in small rooms working, I do worry way to much tho about little things and worried even more when I measured the room up an realised only 5ft 2 one way and 7ft 8 the other arghhhh. I think ill just have to pop my couch and nail desk when I get one in there and see what I can do :/
Thanks again! Xx

When space is limited mirrors are a must as they create the illusion of more space.

Is there any way you could just limit yourself to just nails if you don't think space is sufficient for anything more.

I have seen those pull down nail tables and they are fab! They are just like the principle of a fold down tray on an aeroplane where they fold flat up to the wall with a clip and usually a supporting leg makes sure it won't collapse on a client!

I re arrange my little room all the time. Each time I do I find more space. X

Latest posts

Back