Root glow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe Murphy

Reaction score
hiya! What's the best way to avoid root glow? I've had it a few times now and not sure why, using 3% peroxide to mix my colours, would really appreciate help I'm still new to colouring xx

hiya! What's the best way to avoid root glow? I've had it a few times now and not sure why, using 3% peroxide to mix my colours, would really appreciate help I'm still new to colouring xx
Is it a specific shade of colour, or a specific head if hair that this happens to? What brand of colour do you use?

I usually add base to my mix even if its not grey on root. Do two formulas one for root as new virgin hair so will need a slightly different shade. Then go in with desired shade on mid lengths and ends.

Is it a specific shade of colour, or a specific head if hair that this happens to? What brand of colour do you use?
thank you for replying! It's called innovation? A friend recommended it to me but I would have preferred to have gone down the L'Oréal / wella root , both dark shades one was a 5/0 and one a 4/0 the more I think about it I think one of them I may have needed a darker colour could this have caused the problem? And the other I think her natural root colour is so light compared to the colour she wanted that I should have used 2 different colours a darker on the virgin hair ? X

Thank you for replying! If the desired colour was a 5/0 for example what would you recommend for the roots? X
I usually add base to my mix even if its not grey on root. Do two formulas one for root as new virgin hair so will need a slightly different shade. Then go in with desired shade on mid lengths and ends.
k you

thank you for replying! It's called innovation? A friend recommended it to me but I would have preferred to have gone down the L'Oréal / wella root , both dark shades one was a 5/0 and one a 4/0 the more I think about it I think one of them I may have needed a darker colour could this have caused the problem? And the other I think her natural root colour is so light compared to the colour she wanted that I should have used 2 different colours a darker on the virgin hair ? X
As jade mentioned above, always safer to add more base to the colour for roots, as it tends to lift a bit because the heat from the scalp. When you say root glow do you mean the colour is slightly lighter or warmer?

As jade mentioned above, always safer to add more base to the colour for roots, as it tends to lift a bit because the heat from the scalp. When you say root glow do you mean the colour is slightly lighter or warmer?
Hiya, it was slightly lighter and much warmer, I used a 5/0 all over what would you recommend for roots in future? Sorry I'm new to this so trying to make notes so I don't make the same mistake again x

Sorry I didn't see your reply. It may be her ends was too dark also its so hard sometimes without pictures. That should be a flat base so shouldn't be warm. I use loreal mainly.
If it was slightly lighter you cpuld go half 4 half 5 next time on root. How long was you putting ends through for? I add a small amount of warm water to my colour to take through for refreshing as the hair is porous and obly needs a top up. Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't see your reply. It may be her ends was too dark also its so hard sometimes without pictures. That should be a flat base so shouldn't be warm. I use loreal mainly.
If it was slightly lighter you cpuld go half 4 half 5 next time on root. How long was you putting ends through for? I add a small amount of warm water to my colour to take through for refreshing as the hair is porous and obly needs a top up. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Can leaving the colour on for too long make it go glowy too? X

No but you shouldn't do that anyway as may cause client to become allergic from overexposure.

Latest posts

Back