Rosacea in Pregnancy ? Help needed !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
I think there is a very strong possibility I have suddenly developed rosacea or I have had a reaction to a product or food ive eaten.

My skin is literally on fire and has been since yesterday morning, its really red and scaly including the eye area and neck. This morning I woke up to find it had got worse and my whole face is covered with tiny little pustules.

At first I thought either two things had happened. Firstly I have recently (since Thursday) been using the new Dermalogica Medi-Bac range when I applied the overnight clearing gel on Friday night to my T-Zone I noticed it was a little bit itchy when I woke up the next morning my whole face was blotchy, scaly and red it has since got worse and worse any product I put on stings and itches.

The only other thing I could think of is that I ate some raspberry jelly on the Friday and again on Saturday thats the only thing ive ate thats different.

It just occured to me that it could be rosacea and I have googled a few images and sure enough it looks exactly the same. Im planning on going to the Doctors tomorrow but is there anything I can put on in the meantime as it is literally burning and feels so uncomfortable.

As Im pregnant I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it ?

I'd visit your GP to be on the safe side hun.
Sorry.... forgot to say be careful what you apply but cold compresses may make a difference, it's worrying when you are pregnant re. what you can and can't do...your GP will advise xxx
Hugs mate hope you feel better soon x

Hi Juliette

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Dermalogica. A few years ago I bought a load of Murad anti-acne products and after a couple of days of using them, my face was covered in tiny pustules. It was probably red too but I always had a tendency to be red and blotchy and react to anything I put on my face. I went to their website and spoke to someone and she said my skin was purging and I should continue with the routine and it would right itself. Which it did.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily saying you should keep on with it! That kind of reaction is pretty scary. Let us know what your GP says.

Hope everything else is ok :hug:

Thanks guys :hug:

Its even worse this morning but I managed to get an appointment at doctors. Can't believe ive got to go with no make up :eek:

I did hope it was the Dermalogica but this morning I now have tiny spots all around my eye area and lid which I didn't apply the product to (although I did put my Dermalogica eye cream on)

It will just be my luck if I have somehow developed an allergy to the range I stock !! Im going to ring their head office today and let them know.

Fingers crossed the doctor will give me something as with or without make up my skin looks awful, like ive been burnt :cry:

Hi Juliette

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Dermalogica. A few years ago I bought a load of Murad anti-acne products and after a couple of days of using them, my face was covered in tiny pustules. It was probably red too but I always had a tendency to be red and blotchy and react to anything I put on my face. I went to their website and spoke to someone and she said my skin was purging and I should continue with the routine and it would right itself. Which it did.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily saying you should keep on with it! That kind of reaction is pretty scary. Let us know what your GP says.

Hope everything else is ok :hug:

Hiya - hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread:), but just wondered how the Murad anti-acne worked for you Zo Zo as i have just stocked this product range.
thanks
Kelly
xXx

my advise is to stop all new products and go to your gp if nothing found introduce each new product so you can find the sourcex

How did you go on at the doctors Juliette?

I wonder, Juliette, if it's just a combination of things -- I'm thinking your hormones are playing a role in all of this and, when we're pregnant, all kinds of crazy things can happen since our bodies are changing to accomodate our little one. When I was pregnant, I can recall allergies I never had, frequent headaches with one baby, sensitivity to meats with another...

I'm with Theresa - tell us how you are! kelly

I don't think you could have developed Rosacea over night. I would think that perhaps your hormones have caused a reaction with your Dermalogica products. Have you thought about giving your rep a ring too see if they haveheard of it before.
:hug::hug:

let us know how you are now.

Hi Bombini

I have rosacea - first thing to do if you do have it is not to use the medi-bac or anything medicated, with AHAs etc. Be gentle! When I first got rosacea I swapped to dermalogica - the environmental protection range (cleanser and toner) was fantastic, plus one of the rich moisturisers which helped ease it. Treat it as dry senstive skin, rather than teenage spotty skin and it will calm down. If you want something to put on the spots, use a thin layer of Yonka Cream 15 (the best cream I have found for 'adult' spots).

I went to the doctors and was put on long-term antibiotics (for the spots) and a blood pressure drug (for the redness) - not sure if they would be suitable for pregnancy though.

The main thing is not to leave it or let your doctor fob you off as if you don't treat rosacea properly it will simply get worse. If your doctor is rubbish (mine was) I would recommend paying and seeing a private dermatologist... it might cost a couple of hundred pounds but it is money well spent. hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the advice :hug:

I went to the doctors and she said it was a reaction more than likely to the products I used so was prescribed anti-biotics and some very mild steroid cream.

Its nearly cleared up but still looks awful with or without foundation and as I can't put fake tan on I actually look like a pasty (flaking like one to) :irked:

I did call Dermalogica and advise them of my reaction and they seemed to think it could possibly be due to my hormones and also that the overnight clearing gel contains salic acid which apparently is the subject of ongoing studies as to wether this is safe to use in pregnancy although all of the medi-bac range is deemed safe to use in pregnancy I don't think I will use it again until after ive had the baby !

I had a flare up, similar to this described when i was about 15, i had never changed skincare or makeup that i was wearing, but my whole face, swoll up and burnt, then dried out and flaked off, this process took about 1 week, i know now that it was those latex make up sponges that caused it, even though i had been using them before, the skin does go through changes and as you're pregnant, hormones and all can affect your skin, as you know. i'm not sure about the spots though. maybe once the redness has calmed right down, use a tea tree stick-these are good for spots.

I would advise just to use very very natural products for sensitive skin, if anything, otherwise just water and a natural, gentle moisturiser. Even though the range you're using is very popular, there are many chemicals used in most product ranges. There are some organic product ranges out there which I would defo use in this case, even if just a moisturiser for now though. hope it clears up soon x

Glad you went to the doctors and that it's clearing up. :hug: But what a pain! Will you just stick to the ultra-calming products now?

Latest posts

Back