rottweilers, are they dangerous??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
really good piece in the sun today about this..written by Fergus Shanahan....

You wouldn't keep a lion in a house with children...why does nature give these dogs teeth like carving knives and jaws like iron vices..? Nobody expects a shark to behave like a dolphin...when a shark eats a swimmer, we say its horrifying but accept that the shark is just doing what sharks do....when a dog of this bread kills a baby/child it is just doing what is does...it doesn't mean the dog is evil or nasty..its just doing what they where made to do. Its absurd to think you can train a dog like this to be a safe, child friendly pet....could you train a fox to live with baby chickens..?

These dogs shouldn't be banned but locked up in a zoo...

Have to say i agree with him...x

OF COURSE its possible to train a baby fox to live with chickens..if it was domesticated and reared as such..if it was fed regularly, given toys etc.. it wouldnt feel a need to pounce on one of them as it would think of itself a chicken also!
...the same way you can train a puppy to live with a cat..
My 3 dogs (boxers) live alongside 2 house rabbits with no problems what-so-ever...

Lion in a house?? now this person is getting domestic and wild animals mixed up.
Wild animals in a zoo... yes... or free in the wilderness better still.. but this person shouldnt assume domestic animals to be threated the same.

Would you lock up every Chihuahua in a zoo??? I think not.
What a ludicrous and sweeping statement IMHO!!

Sounds like this comment was made by a person that has never owned a dog.. or any animal for that matter.:rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: ok ok...like i said this is just what me, myself and I think....i am not asking for anyone to agree with me :lol: and i cant be bothered to get into a huge debate about it either...you either like these dogs or you dont...x

When I was born my parents had a soppy Cocker Spaniel called 'Spike' who followed me everywhere and 'protected' me according to my parents. If I went to the park (alone at the age of 2...dont ask:eek: stupid I know but that was then (many years ago) and now is now) I would climb up the steps of the slide as the dog stood with his paws on the bottom rung and then he would rush round to the front to watch me come down the slide. If I walked up the road and got too near the kerb the dog would nudge me away from the edge. My parents trusted this dog implicitly.

Now having had my own dogs I see how foolish this was and I would never ever leave a child alone with a dog, regadless of the breed and nature of the dog, as you just never know.
I had a Cavelier King Carles Spaniel when my youngest son was born and when I first brought him home the dog went into a huff and wouldnt even look at me, if I spoke to her she turned her back on me....so...I never ever left her alone with my children despite the fact she was really soppy and frightened of her own shadow.... she was so jealous of my youngest, it wasnt worth the risk.

I now have a neice who has a German Shepherd cross (crossed with what we do not know, but he is huge). She always leaves her new baby alone with this dog which absolutely horrifies me, as he has already shown vicious tendencies towards other dogs including my own Golden Retriever, he snarled and growled at her so much he was almost frothing at the mouth!!!:eek: This frightened the life out of her, she was so friendly towards other dogs and has never had a dog react to her like this before. We have been telling my neice since the baby came home that she is taking a risk, but she wont have it at all, she says that the dog is helping to look after the baby and like my parents said years ago, is 'protecting' him. Well this has now backfired....we had a phone call last week from my sister-in-law to say that although the dog is still fine with the baby, he is now growling and snapping at my neice and her husband every time THEY go near the baby......yes, he thinks that this baby is his and he is ''protecting' it. They have no idea what to do about this, yet still the dog stays. My neice suffered 2 still births before having this baby so that makes it even harder to accept and understand her views. This to me is really taking an enourmous risk, as this huge dog could attack the baby's parents at any time with terrible results. If it was me, I wouldnt have this dog in the house at all.

I dont think you can ever trust a dog 100% no matter what the dogs breed, personality or temperament is, we as humans, have no way of knowing just what is going on in a dogs head, no matter how well trained they are or how much we think we know the dog in question, children and dogs need supervising at ALL times.

Hi Angie,

Wouldn't that apply to all dogs then ? As far as I know, all dogs have K9's and they were all given them for the same reason ......

Marlise

Well said:!:

Don't humans have Canines too?

I KNOW not the size of dogs....

Any dog can turn, but certain breeds have been know to turn more often, rotts, pitbull, ect, but that certainly doesn't mean all of them are bad.My firend has a rott that is the biggest baby, it just depends. My uncle had a dog he got as a 9 day old puppy abandoned by it's mother, it was a mix of rott, chow ans pitbull and had hime for 10 years then had to have him put down becasue he became aggressive. My uncle is an animal lover and treated this dog so good, but it was the breeds that he had in him that caused him to become aggressive. It can be the nature of the breed or the way it is raised.

And the comment about never leaving a dog alone with your child, that's a bunch of hooey. Our dog sleeps with our 6 year old every night and always followd her around, has to be with her constantly. Obviously if a dog has shown any signs of aggressive and you don't feel comfortable leaving them alone with your children, then you shouldn't have the pet. My childs safety comes first if our dog ever showed ANY kind of aggression towards my daughter, I would be have to get rid of the dog. And yes, I trust my dog fully, shes part of our family.

Don't humans have Canines too?

I KNOW not the size of dogs....

Ooh most definitely!

And I often get the uncontrollable instinctive urge to maul unsuspecting passers-by....grrrrr:eek:

Any dog can turn, but certain breeds have been know to turn more often, rotts, pitbull, ect, but that certainly doesn't mean all of them are bad.My firend has a rott that is the biggest baby, it just depends. My uncle had a dog he got as a 9 day old puppy abandoned by it's mother, it was a mix of rott, chow ans pitbull and had hime for 10 years then had to have him put down becasue he became aggressive. My uncle is an animal lover and treated this dog so good, but it was the breeds that he had in him that caused him to become aggressive. It can be the nature of the breed or the way it is raised.

And the comment about never leaving a dog alone with your child, that's a bunch of hooey. Our dog sleeps with our 6 year old every night and always followd her around, has to be with her constantly. Obviously if a dog has shown any signs of aggressive and you don't feel comfortable leaving them alone with your children, then you shouldn't have the pet. My childs safety comes first if our dog ever showed ANY kind of aggression towards my daughter, I would be have to get rid of the dog. And yes, I trust my dog fully, shes part of our family.

Well I personally would NOT EVER leave my child alone with a dog - you never know how a toddler could provoke a dog UNINTENTIONALLY. Another Geek tripped over a sleeping dog accidentally and had her FACE bitten.

A Jack Russell ripped my staffs nose off whilst in a kennel - what could that Jack do to my 13 month old???

And my friends dog Harley, a Rottweiller, got loose in a field whilst being walked and killed several sheep whilst the farmer hid up a tree... terrified.

It was all over the papers and the council people came around and they were forced to get the dog put down - this gutted Jenny.

Hooey???? Hooey or whatever... my child comes first.

Just my opinion.

Right, I belive ALL dogs have the ability to "turn". It is the nature of the animal.
My Dogue de Bordeaux Axl is dosile but I would NEVER leave him alone with Lyla, we have her moses basket in the lounge with us and Axl comes in the room, looks over the basket to see if she is in there then lays down next to her moses basket and sleeps there for hours but I would never leave them alone in the room together...you just never know, there is always (heaven forbid) the first time.

As for the Rotties, we have not heard about any attacks for ages then bam, there are 2 reported attacks and now everyone is scared of them. Well I think it is a coincedence that they were the same breed, it could have been any breed but because they were both Rotties it made the news. What about other attacks, there must have been more but because it wasn't a "dangerous" breed they didn't bother printing them.

I felt sick to my stomach when I heard what happened seeing as I have just had a baby and she means more to me than life its self, I still don't know the full story in detail as I couldn't take hearing it right now but I hope this just makes people aware and to keep their distance if they are not sure. It's not their fault they don't know it's wrong.

Never mind the fact that some people shouldn't be allowed to be parents and some people simple shouldn't be allowed to own pets, they walk away blame free, at the end of the day, the dog was only doing what it's owners trained him to do.

EXACTLY Some people assume they know best and don't further educate themselves on the subject of parenthood or owning an animal. There are lousy parents as there are lousy owners.
There are some 'in-between' that although are not intentionally causing harm, in their ignorance, they're doing just that.
Then there are some that read everything they can find and learn from it and do the absolute best they possibly can.

Not everyone is fit to be a parent. Not everyone is fit to be an animal owner.

Animals are just as tricky as kids, and many don't realize this. They lay blame at the animal's door instead which is hardly fair.

AND to suggest locking them up in a zoo.... they'd be better off dead. That's plain cruelty in my eyes.

There is something I have been thinking about but no one has said it yet.:confused:

I don't think it would really matter what mauled my child to death... I would hate it no matter what, because of what it did.

No one can blame people in general for having the feelings they do toward Rotties or other big (and may I say beautiful dogs), bull mastiffs, Alsatians, boxers etc etc because they lump everyone of these dogs into the same vat... very similar to initial comments sometime ago that all NSS are 'run by Chinese' - associations breed assumptions... true or not! :!:

Don't think for a second I am making light of this; but as a mum, if this had happened to me... I would want to pulverize the said dog and any other dog that was the same breed because of my grief. So those who have the rotts (and there are many of you, and your pictures show beautiful animals)... I am sure you all understand why tensions run so high.

It's not that people believe that every rottie will do this... it's just that once again, a rottie has done this and that is why people feel so passionate and make, what I am sure some of you consider to be, very sweeping statements. But, it is only to be expected!

Hope you all understand where I am coming from!

It's not that people believe that every rottie will do this... it's just that once again, a rottie has done this and that is why people feel so passionate and make, what I am sure some of you consider to be, very sweeping statements. But, it is only to be expected!

Although I agree with what your saying Samantha because I am also a mother:) I dont agree that some of the comments made were to be expected, Infact some were so damn rude and offensive that I was shocked.

hi
why do i feel responisble for this !
you know what lelli and mrs geek i am really regretting posting this now as i feel if i hadnt of posted this thread none of this would have happened.
im sorry for any bad feeling i have caused between people as that is the last thing i want
sorry:cry: maybe i should delete it now and stop any more griping and get on in harmony. thanks ! :hug:

jules x

I am in no way an expert on dogs. I bought my dog quite by accident really, I took Rachel to look at the pups in the local dog4us and ended up taking her home. I just loved her so much and had to have her.
Maisy is a cavalier king charles spaniel but I had for all my life wanted a Chow.
The reason for this, my grans next door neighbours had one when I was a kid and I fell in love with it.
Turns out that Chows are not a good idea as a pet with small children and I made the right choice. But to look at them they look so cuddly (to me) and wouldn't harm a fly.
I was tempted to take a chance but realised that I was being selfish, but I'm sure with love, affection and a great upbringing a Chow would have been my baby.
BTW I did at one time want a Chihuahua - my neighbor since bought one and when he escapes I've had a dreadful time catching him and he scratched all my arms. It just goes to show, you never know with dogs. It's not all about the breed but is how they are brought up (like kids in a way).

hi
why do i feel responisble for this !
you know what lelli and mrs geek i am really regretting posting this now as i feel if i hadnt of posted this thread none of this would have happened.
im sorry for any bad feeling i have caused between people as that is the last thing i want
sorry:cry: maybe i should delete it now and stop any more griping and get on in harmony. thanks ! :hug:

jules x

Hey girl I dont blame you for posting on this and you were not to know what levels some would stoop to when answering so dont worry :hug:

Hey girl I dont blame you for posting on this and you were not to know what levels some would stoop to when answering so dont worry :hug:

:hug: lelli x

jules x

I am in no way an expert on dogs. I bought my dog quite by accident really, I took Rachel to look at the pups in the local dog4us and ended up taking her home. I just loved her so much and had to have her.
Maisy is a cavalier king charles spaniel but I had for all my life wanted a Chow.
The reason for this, my grans next door neighbours had one when I was a kid and I fell in love with it.
Turns out that Chows are not a good idea as a pet with small children and I made the right choice. But to look at them they look so cuddly (to me) and wouldn't harm a fly.
I was tempted to take a chance but realised that I was being selfish, but I'm sure with love, affection and a great upbringing a Chow would have been my baby.
BTW I did at one time want a Chihuahua - my neighbor since bought one and when he escapes I've had a dreadful time catching him and he scratched all my arms. It just goes to show, you never know with dogs. It's not all about the breed but is how they are brought up (like kids in a way).

Chows to me are very aggressive and I have never had a good encounter with one. My brother was attacked by a chow pretty severely when we were kids and the owners swore that was the first time it had ever happned and didn't know why he attacked said maybe my brother provoked him. I watched the whole thing in shock being only 8 at the time and the only thing my brother did was reach out to pet him because they said it was OK. Turns out their chow had attacked 2 other people, a little girl who he pulled through the bushes and mauled he chest and neck and the mailman. Some people have had good experiences with some breeds, some not, but there are certain bredds I would never have.

i think some people (minority) are thinking that all rotties are at some point in their lives will attack
not talking specifically about the geek site ,but people in general,
i just think these people are uneducated on the breed ,or may never have actually known a "friendly rottie"
which is to be expected ..i have researched rottie but only because i have one ...although i have no interest in researching ..any other breed ,so i know nothing about other breeds really ,
just assumptions that i make on storys i hear ....l
liketoday my friend came over and was saying that there were 3 reprted incidents of "staff attacks " in the paper today (she has one)
the first thought that come into my mind ....."well its to be expected !"
then i thought ..i have just thought what lots of people have thought over rotties for the last week ,
without knowing any facts whatsoever !
i actually felt a little bad for thinking it to be honest!

now i strongly disagree that rotties belong in the zoo ...when my little baby comes up and gives me a kiss or gets so excited when i come home ,he wees himself ...even when i scratch his ear and he gets that look in his eye that says "this is the best feeling ever ,i love you mummy"
i cant not ever put him in the same league as a lion :eek: or a shark
although bagpuss knows i respect her oppinion xx

i also respect that some people are afraid of rottwillers (before all this came out in the papers)
if anybody comes to my house ..i ask them before they enter if they are afraid of dogs" and then tell them i have a rottie
,he is introduced to people when i have let them in...
we took him to the shopping centre today to get him a muzzle (which ihated)
and i honestly thought we would get some funny looks ...but nope ..he got the usuall "ahhhhhh's" and "oooh look theres a rottie "
the ladys in the pet stall gave him treats,he loved all the attention,i was pleasently surprized
he looks so sad in his muzzle ..i hate it !....i have got him one ,so other people are reasured ,although to be totally honest
i thinkputting a muzzle on him DOES NOT say "oooh look we are responsible owners ,we have muzzled our dog ,so you know you are safe,and so is he "

but it says/....."we think our big rottie will bite you ,so we have muzzled him for you protection "
i hate it so much ,the fact i have had to do this
but hey ho crappy world we live in

and can i also add ..i know i am defending rotties .(i know there are visious ones too ,they are not all like my max)
but i am abserloutly sickened by what happend to these two babies ,as i would be if any animal or human had caused it ....and i feel so much for the famillys...
but i watched animal cops last night..and this poor little dog had been horribly treated and turned nasty ..the vet was saying how sad it was as this animal was not born thinking ..i am gunna get big and bite ! he was mistreated and scared of humans ..his only way to protect himself was to bite...had he been brought up in a loving enviroment ,chances are he would not have that reason to lash out,and would be happy and playful,

oh god here i go again lol ..ive got so much to say on the subject ...ive bored myself now :green:
take care peeps xxx:hug:

I don't think it would really matter what mauled my child to death... I would hate it no matter what, because of what it did.

Don't think for a second I am making light of this; but as a mum, if this had happened to me... I would want to pulverize the said dog and any other dog that was the same breed because of my grief. So those who have the rotts (and there are many of you, and your pictures show beautiful animals)... I am sure you all understand why tensions run so high.

I think you've summed it up VERY well and I understand 100%
If my child were to break her arm on the monkey bars, I'd want them removed from the park. If some rotten kid at school bit her, I'd want him expelled. If a nasty dog attacked her, I'd want him dead. If some guy hit my daughter with his car 'accidentally' cause he had a heart attack at the wheel, I'd want HIM dead too.
How we react in grief is not always reasonable or sensible. We are ruled by emotions and wanting to destroy what has hurt or destroyed our loved ones is an honest and understandable reaction; though not always a 'right' or 'justifiable' reaction should we follow through.

I think what it boils down to is this:
Ignorance will create 'bad' pets that aren't raised properly or handled properly.
Ignorance will create fears and ideas in people that are so far from the truth of what really is... What we dont know or understand, we fear...
Normal human reaction.
(I'm NOT saying ignorance applies in ALL cases/situations, just many of them)

It's sad, but it's the way of it, and not likely to change in this lifetime.

Although I agree with what your saying Samantha because I am also a mother:) I dont agree that some of the comments made were to be expected, Infact some were so damn rude and offensive that I was shocked.
Why be shocked Lell, its a fact of life that not everone will agree with you, did you really think everyone would or should? The original poster asked for our opinoins and that what she got, I feel as strongly about my opinion as you do about yours. I have tried to refrain from adding to this thread but you constant digging at anyone who disagrees with you leaves me cold.
What levels Lell? oh you mean opinions again:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back