Rough finish to Rockstar nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippit

Reaction score
In have only tried Shellac rockstar nails on my nail wheel to see how they came out and all of them are rough to touch. I didn't want to rub them too much into the sticky layer after I had cured the colour as I was afraid I would get a more foil finish. The glitter looks great apart from it being rough.

Any suggestions where I may have gone wrong or is it likely to be rough compared to shellac on its own?

Hi! I usually use the oval tab from my nail form, stick it to my finger, and gently pat the nail to make sure no glitter is sticking up or out. Works with both methods.

haven't seen any mention of topcoat being applied after the glitter layer..could this be the problem?? most need to apply 2 layers to give the smooth finish.

When i put the glitter on, i pat it down so its smooth. still looks glittery and not like foil. then i always put two layers of top coat.

I only put one top coat on , so will do two from now on! and will be braver patting it down more, is my finger the best to do this?

I usually put one coat of topcoat on, wipe with isopropyl alcohol, give it a light buffing with a 240 buffer on the raised areas, then another topcoat. Has always worked well for me :)

Give it a good pat, brush and rub before you put the top coat on to make sure the glitter is flat and well embedded AND all the loose bits are gone.
I normally get away with one coat but that's because I give a good scrub as I hate getting glitter on my top coat brush. I do keep a separate bottle for my RockStars.

i have an old acrylic brush i use to get rid of excess glitter and use it to either scrub in or pat down..what ever i need to do at the time. i could get away with one top coat but do two just to be sure. x

Just wondered, has anyone had any problems removing rockstars? I've only done my own so far (still practicing!) and just did glitter tips, removed them this week and it was much more stubborn than normal shellac. Is the trick here to leave the acetone wraps on for longer? On my own I was more vigorous with my birchstick but I'd hate to do that on clients. I've done rockstar on my mum and sister also (toes) - yet to remove these, but they are wanting them on as long as possible, so I'm guessing (based on my shellac training) that this will further make them harder to remove. Does anyone have any advice on this please? I've tried searching the site but only seen that people do leave shellac on toes for weeks and this seems ok, but seen nothing about removal.

Just thought, I guess it's not as much as a problem leaving shellac on toes for longer during the winter months anyway as presumably it is prolonged exposure to light that makes them harder to remove, and my mum and sis are defo not wearing flip flops etc in this weather :D

Still, anyone had any problems removing rockstars? or shellac thats been left on longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks

Shellac that is on for longer than 2weeks will take longer for removal so leave the wraps on a bit longer. Say3weeks then an extra 5minutes also it will be longer than 10minutes to remove rockstar as the acetone travels down the tiny tunnels it has to go through the glitter which takes it longer. So again I leave wraps on an extra couple of minutes.

Latest posts

Back