Royalty free music

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jes

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying some royalty free music from ebay and not renewing my music licences, when they expire.

My concern is, how do you prove to the PRS or PPL people, should they decide to call in, that the music you're playing is indeed 'royalty free' ?

TIA
jes

Would it say so on the CD or the CD's packaging?

You might able to get free music from: Audio - Creative Commons here .... not sure if any of its good though .... sorry can't help with the how to prove something is free question :-D

From November this year the PRS started offering a new slimline ML license.

I feel a duty to pay musicians for their hard work so I nervously asked the price expecting to be told £200 - but I was amazed it was only £30 + VAT.

LINK TO PRS PAGE
Mobile Businesses and Limited Uses

"1 Background music* to a small audience (1 or 2 persons), including personal trainers, mobile beauty/complementary therapists. Rate is per trainer/therapist."

hth? Jason

Hi, Thanks for the info, but that PRS 'ML' licence only seems to apply to home and mobile therapists:irked: Anyhow there's still the PPL licence to buy at £116.20 +VAT:mad:

jes

'ML' licence only seems to apply to home and mobile therapists

hmm, that's not my interpretation - but crikey > More < money for PPL!? Pass me those disks! (and yes it should be printed on the CDs - but they won't appear in the catalogues) Will turn off the radio and be attempting to cancel my PRS as soon as they open http://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif Wish me luck!

I'm thinking about buying some royalty free music from ebay and not renewing my music licences, when they expire.

My concern is, how do you prove to the PRS or PPL people, should they decide to call in, that the music you're playing is indeed 'royalty free' ?

TIA
jes

Hi Jess,we dont have a license because we buy our music from a company who record their own music(royalty free)
We had a huge amount of phone calls from PRS who needed written evidence to prove that the music was royalty free.We wrote to the guy who records/makes all his own music and he sent us a letter stating that this was his music and this was photo copied and sent to PRS.
I dont work mondays but tomorrow will get the details from the salon and send them to you via pm.HTH

Okay, now I'm TOTALLY confused.

A few weeks ago, we had this thread, dated 20 November 2009:
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/103317-what-music-do-you-play-your-salon.html

And in it, Sharkster mentioned this:

I had a letter form PRS last week so I called them (being stiff that I am and liking to comply!). When I said that my salon was at my home they said that as it was not a commercial property I didn't need one.

Hope this helps!

And now we are talking about a "slimline" licence? What's the story here? I'm mobile and when the PRS people called me about 2 years ago, they said because I was mobile I didn't need a licence. Now in January I'll be opening a studio room in my house and continuing with some mobile work. I was very pleased to read in this other thread that I wouldn't need to pay for a licence (my cashflow is pretty low from being out of commission for 8 months) but now the rules seem to have changed in the past 10 days!!

I'll have to call them myself. Guess my CD's will be off a bit longer...

Ok I have the details .Its called the Feel Good Collection.They are NOT registererd with a collection agency,i.e PRS so no license is required.The guy who owns the music is called Fridik Karlsson.We have several of his CD's and they are really lovely.If anyone wants his contact details feel free to pm me.I did add link to his website but it's not working correctly so have removed.

HTH

Found the website,here it is and hth
http://www.earthvibemusic.com/cd_feel_good.htm

Last edited:
Ok I have the details .Its called the Feel Good Collection.They are NOT registererd with a collection agency,i.e PRS so no license is required.The guy who owns the music is called Fridik Karlsson.We have several of his CD's and they are really lovely.If anyone wants his contact details feel free to pm me.I did add link to his website but it's not working correctly so have removed.

HTH

Found the website,here it is and hth
Fridrik Karlsson CDs. The Feel Good Music Collection

Thankyou Babsann, thats fantastic. Any recommendations?

Thankyou Babsann, thats fantastic. Any recommendations?

There's lots of good ones, you can have a little preview listen if you click on the little button. Hth

Latest posts

Back