Rude and nasty business neighbour, what shall I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachieD85

Reaction score
I have just opened a salon. A lady popped on while I was decorating, she said we had spoken on facebook but I had never spoken to her in my life... She knew about my business and that I was getting a shop etc she seemed nice a friendly at first then she pushed her way inside the shop and was very rude about a few things such as my attire for decorating (old lounge pants and a veat and hair tied up) she comes across like she has had a go at everything and currently does semi permanent make up from home. She popped in again 30 mins before my "open day" had a coffee while I was getting my hair tidied ready for opening. U had an old school friend/client there aswell as my hair stylist and she made rude comments about my nails not being "on" and I REALLY need my eyebrows "done" by done she means by her as she does brow extensions and semi permanent tattooing. She then demanded to have a wash and blow dry but I explained we were finished work for the day and didn't have time as we had to get ready for the open day. She took a real strop and didn't take no for an answer then finally booked in for a later date. She makes me feel really uncomfortable and my stylist and client/school friend also felt the same and commented on her when she left. I don't know what to do about her if she continues to act this way i have only been open for 4 days and I'm terrified she's going to become a nuisance :(

Just don't let her in. Say sorry I'm busy.

I don't mean to be rude..... But you are a wuss

As already said, you are the boss of your empire.

Say you are too busy to chat or entertain her.

Grow a pair and tell her to do one, this is your shop and you will run it how you want to etc. you do not require anything from her.

Please do not come back....

5 minutes of uncomfortableness to get rid of her.

Stay strong.

Becareful, she might be very influential in the area. She might have lots of clients that she could recommend to you. We get difficult clients all the time (I'm a cold hearted cow and even I sometime feel sick and upset at these people) but just pacify her and just see her as money in the till.

Grow a thick skin, she might turn out to be a big money spender and could bring clients in.

If she doesn't then drop kick her ass put the door :)

Do you think it could be to do with competition. Maybe she sees your salon as a threat as you could easily take someone on who does the same treatments as her. Just be professional and see how she goes as above posters said. Don't feel intimidated bye her though as if she does turn out to be a wierdo all the local businesses will already know what she is like. There is a similar sounding woman in my town (different type of business) she's know well for what she is like in and out of work and although she seems to run a successful business most give her a very wide berth and don't listen to a word she says! X

Hi I have been in my salon 5 month now. She once came in and sat next to me for 1hr while I was doing someone's nails, has brought her dogs in and I had to be blunt and tell her to get them on the lead as my stylist was cutting a client and had a dog round her feet, she has broke wind loudly and smelly and laughed about it, came in with no bra on and commented on her nipples being like church pegs, constant sexual innuendo, gets treatments and doesn't pay until a week later, most recently she has made comments on her personal facebook calling me a silly girl, immature, ignorant, stupid, asshole, call myself a professional, she pays my wages, grow up, unprofessional and wants to come into my salon and embarrass me. BECAUSE she said she had asked for an appointment with the apprentice on facebook... This never happened I checked every possible way to find a message from her she was rude on my facebook post trying to embarrass me for all to see. I really don't want her back in my salon especially with my poor apprentice having to do her treatment!!! She's causing me serious anxiety I understand I need to grow a pair and tell her professionally I don't want her to return because of the obvious distress she causes me and my clients but I'm scared she will cause hell on Facebook and give me a very bad review!!!!

Any ideas suggestions or just some comforting most welcome lol xxx

Tell her you are sorry but you are busy and you run a professional salon and pets are not allowed. I would tell her you don't need her in your salon either, if she is posting these things on Facebook for everyone too see, it is herself she is embarrassing, a professional wouldn't act this way, rise above it and cut her out. Anyone who listens too her are clearly of the same mentality, xxxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

Also you cant stop what she posts on her fb but you can control what she posts on yours, block her, that will annoy her more xxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ban her and do it quick.

Advise her that you cannot continue with any treatments, all payments are due up front and not on credit. You do not appreciate being slated on social media without been given the chance to rectify her grievance.

She sounds a right arsewipe! You need to nip it in the bud. What does she bring to your business? Late payments, attitude, no consideration for your salon or other clients, grief!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

but I'm scared she will cause hell on Facebook and give me a very bad review!!!!

She's already done this so you have nothing to lose do you?

If the two people in your salon with you the first time she started behaving badly realised it was her who was the loon why would anyone else think any differently?? Especially those in your area who know her already.

It doesn't make it right, it doesn't make her behavior right, but I suspect she has a reputation already and you are her latest victim.

You may need to start small, pull her up on an inappropriate comment to start with, then something more significant until you regain control, that's if you really can't do a full on upfront outright barring.

Realise though that no matter what you do she will bad mouth you, it's her issue. If you continue to take it she will boast about how she uses you, tells you what to do, gives you 'advice', etc. If you stand up to her she will play the victim, but people know what's really going on don't they.

What would you tell your best mate to do in your position?

I'm sorry you are having this trouble, it sucks. I don't do confrontation very well myself and I think you need to put her in the freezer. (Bare with me, I sound like a loon I know).

I had a "friend" who caused me really bad anxiety, threatened to ruin my life with nasty gossip and things I had confided in her over the years that I'm not proud of, so I wrote her name on some paper put it in sugar water n chucked her in the freezer. It made me feel more in control of the situation, in turn it gave me the courage to grow a back bone and tell her to do one! She hasn't been a problem since.
The freezer thing sounds stupid I know, but it can help you take charge of a situation because that person is technically frozen out of your life. So you can tell her to get lost and feel safe.
This woman sounds like an entire basket short of a picnic and she needs showing that you are in charge of your business, your life and you will not be bullied! It sounds like harassment and slander to me which is nothing a restraining order wouldn't solve. I suppose that is extreme but either way you go about it, stop letting her run your life.

Reading this has actually wound me up. What a horrible person..

Whichever way you look at it, the bottom line is this woman is making you ill!! Now if it was me I'd have no problem chucking her out and making sure she never came back but I understand that everyone is different.

She has no respect for you, belittles you on purpose, it sounds like she is getting off on how much she can walk all over you. Do you need someone like this in your life? No.

She sounds like a bully and bullies know who to pick on. You can bet your life on the first sign of you standing up to her will give her a shock, and you really need to stand up to to this woman.

Try Julie-liz's advice with the freezer thingy if you feel you can't do anything right away but all this built up stress and tension isn't good for your health, which is more important than what she might/might not say about you on social media

Good luck, Love. Hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

X.

We have a guy like tho in my village who is also a local business owner.

Him and is wife go around doing and saying similar things to other business owners that this lady does.

Everyone in the village knows they are loony tunes and so does all the other business owners.

Police were called in a it stopped.

I think you will fine this woman is all threats and no action, but it's harassment. If she walks in to your salon again, just ask one of you staff members to call the police on the 101 number.

She is harassing you and it needs to stop

I'm reading this and want to pop over to you and sort this woman out. Lol.

Be strong, be firm, but do it now. The longer you leave it the more uncomfortable it'll become when you do it.

Thanks everyone, I banned her from my facebook page and I have banned her from seeing anything I write on my business use friend profile... Haven't seen or heard anything aince, phewww!! Xx

That's awful you poor thing hope she stays away

Latest posts

Back