"Russian manicure" technique?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not the pain factor that I'm concerned with overall but the fact that this technique is being promoted as a professional technique.
The way I was trained, professional meant adherence to relevance and safety and in my book, this just doesn't happen here.

English version

I have had this done once and I have to say it works wonders. I use solar oil and nurture oil 4 times a day but having that round bit used around the skin and cuticle really makes the skin smooth. Clipping can cause rougher skin to develop but I haven't hand any rougher skin after this.

I'm actually in contact with the woman who did it for me to teach me how I can preform it also. Its not really ment to be an every fill procedure. I had gone 4 to 5 weeks without filling my nails and I have been ill, so I wanted some TLC. She is very delicate with the bit, I use a diamond bit for my standard cuticle work after a curette so I knew some of her procedure. But when she used a larger round diamond bit I was amazed, and there was not discomfort at all. I always have really thick skin around the lateral folds of three fingers and it just softened it up like magic.

No way for bacteria when the diamond bits are in hospital grade disinfectant after a acetone bath to cleanse and debris. There is not any cuts or sore spots to cause damage or infection, I was never bleeding.

I think people get nervous these days because untrained "techs" can cause a lot of damage with an exile, but so can anyone with a hand file who isn't trained. I knew she would take care of my hands and nails and she did, if you don't want the service fine, but until you have had it done why speculate.

Yes my Russian tech was trained this way, yes I am a technician also who just usually does my own nails, but I saw with my two eyes and felt with my own skin that I was safe. She then took out a course carbide bit and filed down my colored acrylic and gel and left me with a very thin overlay, just what I would do for myself after that many weeks. Finished prep and file then filled with crystal nails gel and gave me a very short Russian almond shape in a beautiful cover pink. The same one that was previously on my nails, I had a gel nail bed and clear colored acrylic extension. These nails last wonderfully on my very hard working hands, I am a mother of two with a nail business and a cleaning business, so you can imagine the wear my nails can see. Like I said before this was a treat as I never get pampered by anyone but I needed some TLC so I got a new experience and a beautiful new set.

I don't know I hope that helps someone to understand this isn't dangerous and a specific skill not just for anyone who wants to weild an efile.

You don't have to bleed in order to suffer damage. And that damage cannot always be seen by the naked eye. An e-file spins carbide at thousands of revolutions a minute. That's an abrasive material at great speed applied to a stationary object. You can be as light handed as you like. You will still cause damage to the natural nail. Rings of fire are only the extreme end and what everybody looks for but you can take layers off without feeling it. The reason your skin "softened" was because the e-file wore away the layers of your epidermis to reveal newer skin, the very layers that work to keep your skin hydrated.

I very much think it's commonsense to speculate on a technique that is sold as being professional when it goes against every principle of good nail health. If you know what you're doing as a tech, you don't need to have the service performed on yourself to know it's not a healthy idea. This is why we undergo our training.

I studied nail enhancements and manicure years ago in Israel (Russian teacher) and we used e files on natural nails, it's still done. I avoid the word taught as there's not proper training to use the e file. I always refused to use it. I also insisted and of course still do, that any nail treatment should not damage the natural nail or cause pain, injury or bleeding. I went to study with creative in London after

There is no carbide bit used in this technique, a very fine and smooth diamond bit was used, the carbide bit was only used to debulk almost all previous product of my enhancemets, and only because I had gone so long between fills. I was just trying to give another side to this thread, sorry but that's what I thought you started thus tread about. If you only wanted your opinion then why open a discussion and then put other people down. I think I remembered why I stayed away from this site for so long. Your backhanded comment doesn't concern me, but the fact that a service is being slammed and stamped as harmful or dangerous isn't professional. If you have no education and first hand knowledge of the technique why make assumptions. Saying I don't think I would care for it, it might hurt or whatever is different than stating this is not safe and dangerous and you will get an infection. Yes the woman in the video may have not had the nicest natural nails but this doesn't mean the specific technique is bad and dangerous, it just means someone caused a bit of damage before. The tecnique used did not cause damage or infection yes this was a tiny bit more work to what I have had done and seen, but that just varies slightly with client and technition. I guess if it is not the way you work you would be a sceptic but I just don't understand talking as if it has harmed you in some way it is horrible and dangerous.

You don't have to bleed in order to suffer damage. And that damage cannot always be seen by the naked eye. An e-file spins carbide at thousands of revolutions a minute. That's an abrasive material at great speed applied to a stationary object. You can be as light handed as you like. You will still cause damage to the natural nail. Rings of fire are only the extreme end and what everybody looks for but you can take layers off without feeling it. The reason your skin "softened" was because the e-file wore away the layers of your epidermis to reveal newer skin, the very layers that work to keep your skin hydrated.

I very much think it's commonsense to speculate on a technique that is sold as being professional when it goes against every principle of good nail health. If you know what you're doing as a tech, you don't need to have the service performed on yourself to know it's not a healthy idea. This is why we undergo our training.

English version

I'll start by saying I've been in this business for 30 years and I've seen trends in technique as well as product come and go. Now we have more education available than ever and the general quality of "truly educated" nail technicians is at an all time high. But, sad to say, not high enough. My comments are purely for educational purposes not a soap box. Its difficult to convey which is which in written comments. So PLEASE understand this comes with my passionate love of education.

So here's my take on this technique. She is a VERY SKILLED e-file tech and we can't deny the end result is beautiful. This method has the potential to do A LOT of damage not only to the nail plate, but the also the Eponychium. Any time you use a bit with a "cutting edge" or straight edge, there is the possibility of creating "rings of fire" on the nail plate. Even VERY SKILLED e-file techs can make mistakes or get sloppy in their e-file safety practices. Human error causes damage not the implement we use. As an e-file educator of 15 years, I've always felt the safe technique is best the technique. It prevents damage that may be caused on a "bad day". But I also feel that when there are "new" techniques or "new" bits out there, it's best to tech the safe way to do it, UNLESS there is no safe way. People are going to try or implement them in their services so we may as well tech them the safest way to do it. That being said, not everyone has the skill to do a technique such as this. This should only be done by an EXTREMELY SKILLED technician. So here is what I see...

There is such a high possibility of infection and damage to the cuticle. These factors have to been considered:
1. are the implements disinfected or sterilized? (there is a difference between the two) The stone bit is really a one use item and cannot be properly disinfected or sterilized. A rubber or silicone bit will do the same thing and that CAN be properly disinfected or sterilized.
2. the cuticle under the nail groove is clearly removed. (some call it Pterygium which is a nail disorder not part of the nail anatomy) That thin layer of "cuticle" seals the nail plate and Eponychium from outside bacteria. However, the part we see without invading the Proximal nail fold is unsightly and can be removed safely without breaking the seal. By using an extra fine diamond bit with a little help from a cuticle removing solvent does the same thing without invading the "safety zone".
3. the time taken to do one nail in this video is over the top. What you see can be achieved much faster and safer.

Those are my perceptions. But I have to say I am impressed at the skill displayed in this video.

Cut skin = open to infection
e-file = drill bits not necessarily sterilised between clients = MAJOR potential health risks

Not professional in my world. Filing skin? Wtf?

Who told you this?!
Actually it is necessary and all 4 steps same as all tools just different type of disinfectant (I use Rotasept) 1.20 min rotasept 2.wash with brush and dry 3.pack it in sterilisation pouch and put it autoclave (or high temperature steriliser) 4. if you sterilised without pouch then keep bits in uv sterilizer all the time(in 3 days you should sterilise them again) I prefer pouch because tools retain sterility for 20-30 days.

Last edited:
I like e-file manicure but I don't like the way she did it. Before I start with bits I use pusher to separate the cuticle from the nail plate this way you can see where you working inside and avoid damage.
Advantages: 1.you can make deep polish which last for longer 2.manicure is much cleaner(some things you can't remove with tweezers if they are deep between nail and lateral fold 3.no burrs.
Disadvantages: You need to study first(100%) and not much schools where you can study it(east Europe exception) its very important! You need to know which
abrasive and shape of bits to use, which type of material-
diamond, hardened steel, rubber, corundum stones, ceramics, movements, where you can press where you can't. You need to know sterilization rules, speed of work, reverse. So study first or you will damage the nails.

Last edited:
No Russian NT will know what a Russian manicure is! In Russia The e-file manicure or apparatus manicure has been in existence for at least six years. However, for most schools this is a separate 2-day class after a student has completed an e-file class and has experience using the tool. As e-file guru said, there are significant risks if the person has not been trained correctly or uses incorrect bits or technique! It is not something to learn from YouTube - the video's that I have seen were created by people who have not been properly trained.

It is also quite possible that using this technique would invalidate salon insurance.

No Russian NT will know what a Russian manicure is! In Russia The e-file manicure or apparatus manicure has been in existence for at least six years. However, for most schools this is a separate 2-day class after a student has completed an e-file class and has experience using the tool. As e-file guru said, there are significant risks if the person has not been trained correctly or uses incorrect bits or technique! It is not something to learn from YouTube - the video's that I have seen were created by people who have not been properly trained.

It is also quite possible that using this technique would invalidate salon insurance.

Bob here it says you are live in Sweden. Do you use e-file manicure technique there? And what people think about it? Do they like it?

I have had this done once and I have to say it works wonders. I use solar oil and nurture oil 4 times a day but having that round bit used around the skin and cuticle really makes the skin smooth. Clipping can cause rougher skin to develop but I haven't hand any rougher skin after this.

I'm actually in contact with the woman who did it for me to teach me how I can preform it also. Its not really ment to be an every fill procedure. I had gone 4 to 5 weeks without filling my nails and I have been ill, so I wanted some TLC. She is very delicate with the bit, I use a diamond bit for my standard cuticle work after a curette so I knew some of her procedure. But when she used a larger round diamond bit I was amazed, and there was not discomfort at all. I always have really thick skin around the lateral folds of three fingers and it just softened it up like magic.

No way for bacteria when the diamond bits are in hospital grade disinfectant after a acetone bath to cleanse and debris. There is not any cuts or sore spots to cause damage or infection, I was never bleeding.

I think people get nervous these days because untrained "techs" can cause a lot of damage with an exile, but so can anyone with a hand file who isn't trained. I knew she would take care of my hands and nails and she did, if you don't want the service fine, but until you have had it done why speculate.

Yes my Russian tech was trained this way, yes I am a technician also who just usually does my own nails, but I saw with my two eyes and felt with my own skin that I was safe. She then took out a course carbide bit and filed down my colored acrylic and gel and left me with a very thin overlay, just what I would do for myself after that many weeks. Finished prep and file then filled with crystal nails gel and gave me a very short Russian almond shape in a beautiful cover pink. The same one that was previously on my nails, I had a gel nail bed and clear colored acrylic extension. These nails last wonderfully on my very hard working hands, I am a mother of two with a nail business and a cleaning business, so you can imagine the wear my nails can see. Like I said before this was a treat as I never get pampered by anyone but I needed some TLC so I got a new experience and a beautiful new set.

I don't know I hope that helps someone to understand this isn't dangerous and a specific skill not just for anyone who wants to weild an efile.
Thank you for sharing your comments. It's nice to hear the point of view of a nail tech who has also had the procedure. I have to say, the result does look beautiful. I can understand people being afraid though.

Who told you this?!
Actually it is necessary and all 4 steps same as all tools just different type of disinfectant (I use Rotasept) 1.20 min rotasept 2.wash with brush and dry 3.pack it in sterilisation pouch and put it autoclave (or high temperature steriliser) 4. if you sterilised without pouch then keep bits in uv sterilizer all the time(in 3 days you should sterilise them again) I prefer pouch because tools retain sterility for 20-30 days.
If you sterilise then you are in the minority from what I hear and see. In my town techs go from one client to another without cleaning

And obviously that is a significant risk

If you sterilise then you are in the minority from what I hear and see. In my town techs go from one client to another without cleaning

And obviously that is a significant risk
I don't know anyone that uses this technique.
Lots of techs go from one client to another with damage to skin, I'm not sure this technique is the main problem.
I see more damage from using a carbide bit on the nail plate and skin

I don't know anyone that uses this technique.
Lots of techs go from one client to another with damage to skin, I'm not sure this technique is the main problem.
I see more damage from using a carbide bit on the nail plate and skin
I'm referring to open skin and the drill or tools potentially passing infection from one client to another
I don't use a drill myself so not sure what a carbide bit is even lol but yes def seen lots of damage done by them in the wrong hands

Bob here it says you are live in Sweden. Do you use e-file manicure technique there? And what people think about it? Do they like it?
Yes we use the e-file manicure and pedicure technique in our salons in Sweden and other countries. Yes, customers prefer the cleaner look. We've also taught it the past 6 years though our network of schools in east Europe. However, we never promoted this or provided education on this in other countries - although we had the opportunity to be first to market and make money, as we were always concerned that some NT would not attend a professional class and experiment, which would lead to abuse - which is pretty much what has happened.

No no no no - I don't care how skilled someone is if any person saw someone coming at THEIR SKIN with an e drill, they'd be nervous. Fact.

I understand that people want to constantly evolve their skills and find better, more efficient ways of removing cuticle but this isn't it. Like others have said, it took ages, you can see ridges from previous treatments, it looks weird and it isn't safe. How anyone could sell this as a BETTER option to safe cuticle removal is beyond me!! Erghhhh gives me the heeby jeebys!! Xx
I just finished cours of russian manicure. If to do treatment right as trained everything is perfect. I am in love with my new russian manicure technik. It is so good treatment and helps nails to become much healthlier if to do it RIGHT

I think the results look nice and it does not appear to damage the nail if the tech is trained, people can damage a nail with a hand file if they do not know what they are doing. But I would not use this technique on my clients. I have a client who bled from me lightly pushing back her cuticle, she did not even feel it but imagine if I would have used on of those cuticle drill bits on her. I think the end results using the technique I use now turns out looking nice and take less time.

I've seen the technique, here's an upload on Nails Mag I saw about it earlier this year.

Even the idea of e file makes me cringe, however I've always considered taking training for it for aiding acrylic removal alone.

If that happens next year and someone is offering the Russian Mani training, I'd defo be on it to see what it's all about.

There is such a high possibility of infection and damage to the cuticle. These factors have to been considered:
1. are the implements disinfected or sterilized? (there is a difference between the two) The stone bit is really a one use item and cannot be properly disinfected or sterilized. A rubber or silicone bit will do the same thing and that CAN be properly disinfected or sterilized.
2. the cuticle under the nail groove is clearly removed. (some call it Pterygium which is a nail disorder not part of the nail anatomy) That thin layer of "cuticle" seals the nail plate and Eponychium from outside bacteria. However, the part we see without invading the Proximal nail fold is unsightly and can be removed safely without breaking the seal. By using an extra fine diamond bit with a little help from a cuticle removing solvent does the same thing without invading the "safety zone".
3. the time taken to do one nail in this video is over the top. What you see can be achieved much faster and safer.

Those are my perceptions. But I have to say I am impressed at the skill displayed in this video.

This totally changes my mind on my previous post, I dont even use nippers... and this totally reminded me why. It sort of feels like its just not worth it for the risks involved.

Latest posts

Back