Rusting Tools

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire F

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been using my current tools (bought from Lena White) for about 8 months. I have also been using Barbicide diluted (accoring to instructions and rinsing) for disinfecting my stainless steel implements. However - they are already rusting quite badly!! Is this a common thing that can happen? I have looked at another thread which has suggested using Mundo, will this rust less?

I know that I now need to pirchase all new tools, I am now slightly concerned about getting the same implements as they have not lasted long, do you have any preferences?

Thank you so much for your help,

Claire

Hi, do you let your tools stand in the solution for a period of time or do you spray them and wipe them down?

Thanks for your reply, I wash my implements in Swiss Blue Soap and then soak in Barbicide manicure jar for 10 minutes, rinse and then dry all tools and keep them in a sealable pot. I do this at the end of my day.
Am I doing something wrong?!
Thanks for your time,
Claire x

I am not a fan of Barbicide since using Mundo. Most tools seem to oxidize in water based disinfectants (some worse than others).

I have never had my tools oxidize using Mundo products. Many of the solutions are RAPID and there is no need to soak the implements in a water based solution.

I have a few sets of implements so that I have time to clean and disinfect between clients and I buy all my implements from Sweet Squared. You can ring and register with them and be sent a catalog to view or you can view on the website but will not be able to see prices or purchase there without registering that you are a professional first so best to call them in my opinion.

Welcome - Sweet Squared

Disinfectants & hygiene products to prevent spread of disease. - mundo professional - for a healthy environment

Thanks for your reply, I wash my implements in Swiss Blue Soap and then soak in Barbicide manicure jar for 10 minutes, rinse and then dry all tools and keep them in a sealable pot. I do this at the end of my day.
Am I doing something wrong?!
Thanks for your time,
Claire x

Hi Claire, unless you've cut someone and drawn blood, I don't think it's necessary to soak your implements. I think it's the actual soaking that is causing the problem. HTH! :)

Thanks Geeg - I am slowly using more of the CND/Sweet Squared products, so will give Munod a try! Thank you for your time, I am so upset that I have had to replace them already!
Thanks for your reply Deanosnana - I was told to soak at end of the day and I have 4 sets of tools to allow for this. I am sure it is the soaking that is causing the problem but really do not want to risk any contamination.

Thank you both,
Claire

look into purchasing an autoclave to setralise your equipment instead of soaking them. It can be very expensive but any business with this has the ability to show the health and safety inspector the license of havig this equipment and they will leave you alone as it very effective.

Aldi actually had mini autoclaves for sale - perfect sizse for curettes and tools for a fab price of £39.99!! xx

Aldi actually had mini autoclaves for sale - perfect sizse for curettes and tools for a fab price of £39.99!! xx

Really?! Gobsmacked. :suprised: I know the supermarkets diversify all the time, but talk about somewhere you'd never look! I might call Sweet Squared later and see if they will sell me my weekly food shop... :green:

With regard to the Mundo products, my absolute faves would be the Hard Surface Spray, which I use to spray my implements and to clean my desk, UV lamp etc Mundo Hard Surface Disinfectant Spray (500ml) and the Rapid Tool Disinfectant Mundo Rapid Tool Disinfectant for soaking, just because it's so lazy! Already diluted and so easy to use. I have had no rust issues with either of these products.

I have the Mundo Power+ Concentrate too, but much prefer the other two products. Hope this helps! xx :hug:

Last edited:
when was this??

1. You could try removing the rust with cotton wool sprayed with WD40. If the rust is only on the surface it could well remove it.

2. When tools get scratched they are more likely to rust when placed in solution. Even the finest stainless steel oxidises eventually!

Thank you all so much for your advice.
I am looking up Mundo and Autoclaves as we speak, all whilst the hubby digs out the WD40!
Thank you :) x

Latest posts

Back