S2 Rules on retailing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syncage

Reaction score
Just seen on the another salon's website that if you order 4 or more bottles of Vinylux they will post it for free...

Hmmm is that not a bit dodgy? Certainly I know royal mail have rules about posting nail polish above a certain amount and I wouldn't have thought sweet squared would allow salons to sell in this way??

Now that we are going to be retailing a lot more both nail polish and removers/prep products could s2 clarify the terms and conditions for their account holders please.

I know if you sell on ebay they will close your account but what are the rules about selling online through your own website (as the above salon is effectively doing) and what about mobile techs, can we sell to new customers who aren't service clients- effectively delivering it ourselves (not posting)?

just bumping up hoping to catch attention of one of the sweets or someone else in the know!

It's certainly a very good question, but the answer might lie with a call to S2 or an email to Samantha xx

This is interesting..something I'm sure the salon hasn't even given a thought too

It's certainly a very good question, but the answer might lie with a call to S2 or an email to Samantha xx

hi yeah, certainly will follow up with S2, but hoping for it to be put on record here so to speak as I'm sure lot's of geeks would also want/need to know.

hi yeah, certainly will follow up with S2, but hoping for it to be put on record here so to speak as I'm sure lot's of geeks would also want/need to know.

I'd be interested in knowing the out come of this question x

If we assume they are only sending to UK addresses and they follow Royal Mail rules then I can't see there being a problem. Royal Mail have no problem with nail varnish being sent.

Volume per item must not exceed 30ml. No more than four bottles of nail varnish can be sent in any one package. Bottles of nail varnish must be placed in strong outer packaging and be so packed, secured or cushioned in such a way that they cannot break, be punctured or leak their contents into the outer packaging. An ID8000 label must be applied (see page 40). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Last edited:
If we assume they are only sending to UK addresses and they follow Royal Mail rules then I can't see there being a problem. Royal Mail have no problem with nail varnish being sent.

Yes as far as I'm aware there is only a problem when sending abroad, you are able to send in the uk. Many salons offer free postage, I do when they spend so much on jane iredale make up. As vinylux is not a professional only product I don't see the problem with a professional salon selling through their website.

Yes as far as I'm aware there is only a problem when sending abroad, you are able to send in the uk. Many salons offer free postage, I do when they spend so much on jane iredale make up. As vinylux is not a professional only product I don't see the problem with a professional salon selling through their website.

Polish would be classified as restricted goods so not banned but must be properly labelled and packaged extremely carefully.

If you are selling through your website without any customer contact then imo that transaction is not a salon sale which may be ok, but some distributors would want to limit this to protect the brand.

I've pm'ed the sweets, might be they are away and I'm sure they are busy people but hopefully they will have a chance to respond at some point.

Hey all and sorry I am a little late to see this (thank you for the invite Syncage).

S2 can't create retailing rules all we can do is advise. We advise on the RRP but if someone chose to RRP for less, that is their choice; there are European rules and regs on what they call 'price fixing'... An example... personally I think anyone charging less that £25 for a CND Shellac service dishonours all the others who do and cheapens the brand. But I can't stop it or demand it as that would be considered price fixing and everyone has a right to charge what they want... Even a tenner or a fiver if they choose... Although how daft would you seriously have to be to do that? :irked:

When it comes to retailing polish I can say that there are rules on how one is supposed to send polish (or any flammable goods for that matter) and polish is highly flammable. I know this as S2 follows every rule in the book to do this properly. That said, US diverters send monomer liquid in envelopes and don't declare whats in the envelope they are sending... Imagine if something leaked / blew up on a plane because they flaunt every rule in the book.:sad:

So there you go. We would always advise you to do things legally because that's how we choose to do things. Fact is people will do what they want. Lets hope that most choose to do it the right way. I doubt peeps will be in a position to send out replacements FOC when they don't post and pack properly and things break. Could become an expensive business. Hope this helps. :)

Hey all and sorry I am a little late to see this (thank you for the invite Syncage).

S2 can't create retailing rules all we can do is advise. We advise on the RRP but if someone chose to RRP for less, that is their choice; there are European rules and regs on what they call 'price fixing'... An example... personally I think anyone charging less that £25 for a CND Shellac service dishonours all the others who do and cheapens the brand. But I can't stop it or demand it as that would be considered price fixing and everyone has a right to charge what they want... Even a tenner or a fiver if they choose... Although how daft would you seriously have to be to do that? :irked:

When it comes to retailing polish I can say that there are rules on how one is supposed to send polish (or any flammable goods for that matter) and polish is highly flammable. I know this as S2 follows every rule in the book to do this properly. That said, US diverters send monomer liquid in envelopes and don't declare whats in the envelope they are sending... Imagine if something leaked / blew up on a plane because they flaunt every rule in the book.:sad:

So there you go. We would always advise you to do things legally because that's how we choose to do things. Fact is people will do what they want. Lets hope that most choose to do it the right way. I doubt peeps will be in a position to send out replacements FOC when they don't post and pack properly and things break. Could become an expensive business. Hope this helps. :)

...as you also know, the reason why some companies are able to sell products cheaply or using eBay is because they don't follow the rules. It's a lot more expensive to ship flammable goods correctly and it costs good money to follow the various EU cosmetic laws - which are there to protect the public from illegal ingredients and allow the products to be tracked to source in the event of a health issue.

Latest posts

Back