sad about teaching

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi
been to a couple of interviews lately in Colleges to be a trainer and I have been a bit disappointed by what has been happening, lots of us turn up all hopeful all a bag of nerves ,and then the jobs were given to the people who already work there.
I understand the procedure that we all have to go for the interview including staff too,
thats fair enough,

but today I was gutted as I travelled such along way and stayed in a hotel to get there, and I felt we were all at a disadvantage because the students all had to give their opinion of us (and they already knew her as she is their Assessor who visits and demonstrates at the College)

I found this out whilst chatting to a student outside who knew her,
and she said that this was true, and all the students like her and she is their Assessor she even mentioned her name.

I felt then that I had wasted my time and money travelling
and sure enough she got the job,
I asked the lady from personnel who rang me and she verified that she did.

(I did see her there and she was a very nice person,)

but it didn't feel right that students who knew her should give opinions about who they wanted for the job.
I felt it may have been fairer to have peoples opinions who didn't know any of us at all

I just feel kinda sad about it :cry: I just wanted to have a moan sorry guys,

I'm feeling better now thanks guys x

Have you ever thought about registering with a teaching company, I registered with Protocol National and got some teaching work through them at a local college to start with, you know when jobs are coming up and they know how good you are already!!

Its worth a shot or register with them for hourly paid lecturers then when hours become available you may stand a better chance.

Don't know if any of this will be helpful, but its worth a shot!

I see where you are coming from Minky. Doesn't seem fair does it? But then I see it from the other side too. If you have already been involved in a college etc....... then you feel that you should have preference as you are already established there.

Does make you wonder though how genuine interviews are for outsiders. Is the college just going through the motions because they are legally bound but, know they have selected their candidate internally already.

I see where you are coming from Minky. Doesn't seem fair does it? But then I see it from the other side too. If you have already been involved in a college etc....... then you feel that you should have preference as you are already established there.

Does make you wonder though how genuine interviews are for outsiders. Is the college just going through the motions because they are legally bound but, know they have selected their candidate internally already.

Unfortunately yes they are. It happens with a lot of jobs. It is unfair on the external candidates though.

Oh, I feel bad. At the college I teach at it is were I did my training for cosmetology, I did my instructor training there and I got hired really before I was done with my school. I did 3/4 of a nail class took 2 weeks off and was working right after that for facials starting. My students kept telling me I have to teach there and they dont want another teacher ( think its just they trust that person know what to expect an dare comfortable). Personally I think it is a comfort thing. I took the job because I didnt really have to do anything to get it, I am doing the same position same hours as a student teacher. For me its also a comfort zone once I get a bit more experence I would like to go somewhere else.

I hope everything goes well and just think they dont deserve you or your talents anywayz :hug:

Oh, I feel bad. At the college I teach at it is were I did my training for cosmetology, I did my instructor training there and I got hired really before I was done with my school. I did 3/4 of a nail class took 2 weeks off and was working right after that for facials starting. My students kept telling me I have to teach there and they dont want another teacher ( think its just they trust that person know what to expect an dare comfortable). Personally I think it is a comfort thing. I took the job because I didnt really have to do anything to get it, I am doing the same position same hours as a student teacher. For me its also a comfort zone once I get a bit more experence I would like to go somewhere else.

I hope everything goes well and just think they dont deserve you or your talents anywayz :hug:

Awww please don't feel bad hun Its not the persons fault who got the job she did deserve it,
and you deserve yours just as much :hug: and people who are chosen at the time are probably the best for the College and the job.
also you weren't an employee of the college at the time and there was no false interview involved
I do understand that completely.:hug:

It was just the system that upset me.
But when you think about it the College can't do much about it because they have to follow rules.
I mean if they did give a job to someone internally without an interview they would be breaking some rule or something.
So they have to go by the rules and interview the person they want mixed in with all the other ones that they perhaps didn't want in the first place.

I guess just felt a bit used and foolish for falling for it all.
All that time and money I wasted (they must know this) and they still let people do it
just perhaps to keep up interview numbers

I do understand that the Colleges have to work this way or they would be in trouble
but next time I will ask them if they are interviewing any staff members as well as outsiders?
This should give me more of an insight. hugs: X X

Its funny you say that you felt used. Thats the same way I felt sometimes during my training. I wasnt a student teacher I was the teacher. I know apart of the training is to take the class yourself but alot of times I felt like i was just a free teacher since the school didnt really have a teacher for the time I attended. I'm just happy hat atleast now i am getting paid for all the work I do.

Latest posts

Back