Sage accounting software

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nishi85

Reaction score
Hi guys

does any one know who to use sage and how to make it more adapted to our needs?

thanks in advance xx

We use sage but it's probably a different application to yours? What problem Are you having?

I use sage for both my distribution business and my salon business.
Which version do you have and what issue in particular do you want help with?

hi guys its version 12. i dont know how to use it to be completely honest. some one mentioned that you can adapt the software to suit our needs but i dont even know where to start!

im terrible with numbers and thought that using software would help. Also can you use to produce your tax returns etc (im a ltd company)?

thanks

Hi, I use Sage too but still not sure what you mean by "our needs" ie it is not designed as a booking software or that great for marketing unless you have one of their bolt ons..it is primarily an accounting package xx

Um, did you buy Sage Support?

Sage can be great but as said above its a bookkeeping and accounting program. You can change some things but i wouldnt say you can "personalize" anything as it has to confirm to accounting standards?

Do you know what you actually want it to do?
Sometimes you can get third party programs that link into sage to make your life easier but it very much depends what you are looking for?

Hi sorry internet has been playing up!

no Lynne - i haven't got the support package

i think i might have been given wrong information or maybe they meant something else lol

i need help with all of it really i havent a clue where to start.

OK, the first question you need to ask is "what do I want to achieve with software?"

Hi Lynne i want to be able to keep a record of all my incomings and outgoings and be able to produce my accounts when required.

if a stock record can be kept too that would be great

Ok, so you can do all that with sage.
You need to create a product list and then record each day's takings as "bank receipts"
Who did you talk to when deciding that sage was the solution?

I believe that you can do training on the sage products? Could be worth getting in contact with a training provider and asking if they can offer any advice? Or maybe an hour with an accountant may help?

Sage is a really complicated application for someone new to it! I work with many people who have dedicated sage account personnel who still have issues with it!

my advice would be to seek something a little less complicated and a hell of a lot cheaper!

there's tonnes of accounting applications out there, quickbooks seems a good one.

Hi

Having worked for Sage for 9 years I certainly wouldn't say their entry level systems are complicated!

All the things you outlined are the basic mechanics of any accounts system and easily recorded. With regards to stock, again this can be recorded but it will very much depend on what you want to record and how (are you're retailing stock items or just recording stock items for treatment use?).

From an outsiders perspective it sounds like you've not had much experience in using accounts software so my recommendation would be to seek training - you'll only get good information out of a system if you put good information in! It'll be invaluable when you want to start getting more detailed information out in the future that you've created a good set of nominals and recorded info correctly.

Training wise there's loads of options out there from online training to 1-2-1 training. Personally I'd recommend speaking with your accountant as they can ensure you get your nominal ledger setup to your requirements and provide you with a half day training session.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Ps. You cannot 'personalise' the system per se (you can customise reports, you have some definable field labels you customise) but you can always bolt on 3rd party applications that personalise it to your requirements (eg. ePOS system, etc)

Thanks for all the replies.

Lynne - it was a friend of mine who has a dry cleaning business i am starting to wonder whether i have misunderstood hat he meant by personalising it - although what you said RichS sounds about right. I think this is what he was trying to explain to me.

With stock etc i want to record stock items for treatment use mainly. i only retail solar oil at the moment.

i think i will have to have a word with my accountant. i just wanted to understand it more as that is the main aspect of my business that baffles me a bit (im not very good with numbers). i like to have a little knowledge of all the systems used and how it all works. (call me a control freak but i like to know about every nut and bolt i suppose)

thanks again

thanks guys

Latest posts

Back