Salon cut backs making job difficult

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Therapist707

Reaction score
The salon I work at has recently made cut backs and my clients have started to notice that the products I am using aren't as good also treatment times have been cut and prices have gone up. This has made it really hard for me as my clients aren't happy and I'm worried they will go else where. Iv always enjoyed working for the company and I have tried to address it with the boss but they aren't interested in my opinion. I pride myself on giving my clients the best possiable treatment and always want them to feel like they have had the best service I can possibly give. I feel like now I'm not suited to the salon as they are not interested in the clients needs and just want to make more money! Any ideas on how I can talk them round? anyone else experienced the same?

Salon owners NEED to make money....this is not a hobby, stock & staff need paying.....!o_O
As an employee, you've no idea how costs for running a salon have risen.
Our margins are TIGHT! :eek:

Instead of siding with the client, support your salon as they support you.
Give your clients the best treatment you can, let them know how professional you are...
THAT is what counts and will keep them coming back!
The problem is today's client want all the frills, but they don't want or expect to pay for it!!! :p

Honestly I've tried lots of different products out over the years, margins really high to dead cheap, and in this scenario I would just implement oh we're trying out new products/new supplier/batch batch due to brexit etc they get the hint! But instead of being turnt off by whatever product it may be, look at it at another prospective of oh this products not for me, and I've trialed it out. Its a honesty feedback that wins in your favour every time. clients appreciate it. They obviously would get disgruntled if treatment time is cut back and its costing more....that's because it is costing more!!!!!! xoxo

Salon owners NEED to make money....this is not a hobby, stock & staff need paying.....!o_O
As an employee, you've no idea how costs for running a salon have risen.
Our margins are TIGHT! :eek:

Instead of siding with the client, support your salon as they support you.
Give your clients the best treatment you can, let them know how professional you are...
THAT is what counts and will keep them coming back!
The problem is today's client want all the frills, but they don't want or expect to pay for it!!! :p

I wish I could like this twice !

The salon I work at has recently made cut backs and my clients have started to notice that the products I am using aren't as good also treatment times have been cut and prices have gone up. This has made it really hard for me as my clients aren't happy and I'm worried they will go else where. Iv always enjoyed working for the company and I have tried to address it with the boss but they aren't interested in my opinion. I pride myself on giving my clients the best possiable treatment and always want them to feel like they have had the best service I can possibly give. I feel like now I'm not suited to the salon as they are not interested in the clients needs and just want to make more money! Any ideas on how I can talk them round? anyone else experienced the same?

Hi, don’t get disheartened. You have 3 options I reckon.. if the cut backs are huge and they are making it impossible for you to conduct a successful treatment then you owe it to yourself to seek employment in a salon more suited to your standards (but beware the grass is not always greener) ,
you could go self employed so then you are your own boss and in control of your own timings, products, pricing etc
or you can continue to be the best therapist you possibly can as the situation allows and try to ride it out.
I feel the other replies are a little harsh and of course times are tough and businesses are struggleing but instead of cutting times and using cheap products I feel they should be making their clients feel like they matter and encouraging you as I can tell you have a high standard and ultimately that’s what the clients will come back for (and pay well for)- an experienced, friendly therapist who has high standards will never be short of clients.
Could you talk to the owners and maybe suggest other ways to cut costs rather than risking losing the clients by making them feel ripped off.
My boss has an open door policy and welcomes any new ideas to make the business better..our jobs depend on the success of that salon so we therefore want it to succeed and thrive.
Good luck and I hope things work out for the best.

Thanks for all the responce I do agree with all your points and I fully supprt the salon trying to make money I just wish they had gone a differet way about it. Since posting we have had 2 members of staff hand in there notice and a few complaints from clients who have now gone elsewhere as not happy with the treatment times being less. A few regulars have approached me to go mobile something i wouldn't do as my loyalty is with the salon i do have some mobile clients but i keep that compleatly seperate from the salon and intend to keep it that way. I'm hoping now that they might realise that a new approah is needed as a small salon we cant afford to lose staff or clients. I have been telling clients that we are looking into it and we have been trying new products and that I love them and use them myself trying to keep it as positive as possiable. I have spoken to the owner to see if we can make some treatment times a bit more flexible but not sure if I was taken seriously. The salon has been a lovely place to work previously there has been ups and downs over the years as with all businesses. Fingers crossed things change as I will be the only therapist left next month and un till someone else is employed the salon will be losing a load more clients as I can' fit them all in

Sounds like it's time for you to go rent a chair, go mobile or rent a 2br flat install a sink & have a home salon! I opted for option #3 after being screwed by salon owners for 18 years! I wish I would have done it sooner! Never cheap out on your chemicals! Then you run your own biz no hassle no skimping. Sounds like your being to loyal to a business that doesn't appreciate & or value you at all! I can tell you this......if your salon got a bunch of experienced stylists offering them a higher % than you do or less hourly than you, you would be kicked to the curb! I have managed & done the books @ many a salon & they all are turning profit if reasonably established & moderately busy. I can't believe that salons offer the stylist a mere 40% keeping 60% @ the prices they charge! I charge $170 for a 3 hr. booking which includes a full head of bleach foils & low lites on denser than average hair, Tone,cut & BD style.This works out to be $50/hr & product cost on the higher end of the scope. @ 40% you only get $68 for your 3 hours meaning your making only $22.50/hour now cut that by approximately 1/3 for taxes=$15/hour for all your schooling,experience,knowledge & expertise. Now the salon gets $102 @ 60%-1/3=$68=$22.50/hr when your doing all the work! They are making an extra $7.50/hour & your $15/hr on top for providing a space to work in.visa machine & status as a salon for walk in clients. They complain of costs yet all retail/chemical/equipment/phone etc is a write off for them. Say your in a shop with 5 full time stylists working a 40hr week. $22.50/hr X 8hrs=$180/day/stylist....X5 stylists=$900/day for a fully booked day say fri+sat forsure!.....4fridays+4saturdays/month 8 days=$7200/month.......now lets say on average-low end 5 weekdays are slower by half the business as a fri-sat totalling $450/days X 22 days(open 7 days/week)=$9900/mnth+$7200=$17,100.00/month after taxes estimated at 1/3! & after your 40% is also accounted for!.......Rent? could be up to 6,000/month=mid-high end leaving 11,000.00 profit. Now dump say 3,000 into product/month retail & chemicals=8.000.00/month - say 500.00 for internet/phone/visa etc=$7,500/month profit. Don't forget retail sold is at 100% mark up! so add on an extra $600-1,500 profit on the retail sold in 1 month! Thats over $8,000.00/month profit/take home for the owner(s) that own the biz! Go solo it's way worth it if you have the regs to fill up the week!

Sounds like it's time for you to go rent a chair, go mobile or rent a 2br flat install a sink & have a home salon! I opted for option #3 after being screwed by salon owners for 18 years! I wish I would have done it sooner! Never cheap out on your chemicals! Then you run your own biz no hassle no skimping. Sounds like your being to loyal to a business that doesn't appreciate & or value you at all! I can tell you this......if your salon got a bunch of experienced stylists offering them a higher % than you do or less hourly than you, you would be kicked to the curb! I have managed & done the books @ many a salon & they all are turning profit if reasonably established & moderately busy. I can't believe that salons offer the stylist a mere 40% keeping 60% @ the prices they charge! I charge $170 for a 3 hr. booking which includes a full head of bleach foils & low lites on denser than average hair, Tone,cut & BD style.This works out to be $50/hr & product cost on the higher end of the scope. @ 40% you only get $68 for your 3 hours meaning your making only $22.50/hour now cut that by approximately 1/3 for taxes=$15/hour for all your schooling,experience,knowledge & expertise. Now the salon gets $102 @ 60%-1/3=$68=$22.50/hr when your doing all the work! They are making an extra $7.50/hour & your $15/hr on top for providing a space to work in.visa machine & status as a salon for walk in clients. They complain of costs yet all retail/chemical/equipment/phone etc is a write off for them. Say your in a shop with 5 full time stylists working a 40hr week. $22.50/hr X 8hrs=$180/day/stylist....X5 stylists=$900/day for a fully booked day say fri+sat forsure!.....4fridays+4saturdays/month 8 days=$7200/month.......now lets say on average-low end 5 weekdays are slower by half the business as a fri-sat totalling $450/days X 22 days(open 7 days/week)=$9900/mnth+$7200=$17,100.00/month after taxes estimated at 1/3! & after your 40% is also accounted for!.......Rent? could be up to 6,000/month=mid-high end leaving 11,000.00 profit. Now dump say 3,000 into product/month retail & chemicals=8.000.00/month - say 500.00 for internet/phone/visa etc=$7,500/month profit. Don't forget retail sold is at 100% mark up! so add on an extra $600-1,500 profit on the retail sold in 1 month! Thats over $8,000.00/month profit/take home for the owner(s) that own the biz! Go solo it's way worth it if you have the regs to fill up the week!

Run your own biz no hassle ? Yeah right

Run your own biz no hassle ? Yeah right
Hell no....go solo not dealing with administrating over others. I opened a home salon. My Landlord let me install a sink in my 2nd br. Wish I would have done it years ago!

Latest posts

Back