Salon Insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angone

Reaction score
Will be renewing my insurance soon and have been reading a couple of posts on here regarding insurance.... my insurance for the first year was around £1000 I got this cut down with a different company to around £600 for the second year. However, people have said they've got it for £85 or so! It was for a mobile therapist so I presume thats slightly different, but am i paying too much???

Hi - That was me I am paying about 90/100 i can't remember but i assume if you are a salon you have alot more to pay for...i assume if you have staff you would have to cover these therapists also and you have more stock etc and as you have a salon you're probably more at risk of fire/burglary and flooding etc??? It does sound alot though... check it out

Salon Gold are reasonable xx

Feel free to call the Guild on 0845 2177 383 for a quote.

What insurance is it for? If it's treatment insurance i'm with BABTAC and for a salon policy it's about £150. If your on your own it's £80ish

Insurance to cover contents, employee liability and public liability is seperate. I go with Balens who BABTAC recommend ad I pay £350 a year. This is only if you have a salon. It's more or less depending on your contents. Mine are insured for £35000 so if you have less contents it would be less.

£1000 seems alot!
xx

I think you'e been spending to much, sometimes its better to shop around. Now i own a salon so its a bit different, but i think you shouldnt go with just beauty affliated insurance as this isnt always the best deal, you end up forking out loads....become a haggler!! hehe!

I pay around just under £300 i think, gona change in october, good reminder! this covers, all staff employee/public liability, treatment cover, contents insurance and whole buildings insurance! i think thats a pretty good deal, it covers theft to flood to salon equipment plus if i ever get sued...(touch wood that doesnt happen!) i know its covered with the groupma company, but will have a dig around! xoxo

My Partner has his own brokers, You should be paying £300 - £400 for a compleate package. You must make sure your policy covers individual treatment risks i.e some policys may exclude certain treatments. Inbox me if you would like a quote. :)

My Partner has his own brokers, You should be paying £300 - £400 for a compleate package. You must make sure your policy covers individual treatment risks i.e some policys may exclude certain treatments. Inbox me if you would like a quote. :)

Thanks, I'll get my current policy out and mail you what I have at the min so I get an accurate quote!!

Hi My insurance with BABTAC has just run out and I don't really want to pay another £100 for insurance to be honest as its just for me working from home and very rarely mobile...... I looked at the guild and they are the same as babtac (£85 +vat) so looked at Salon Gold and got a quote of £44....I thought this is really good but I am unsure if it covers me as well as babtac....2 million on claims etc and no excess...anyone any experience with them? are they good?

Also babtac normally give like 50% off training and free magazine every month do you get anything like this with salon gold?
Lisa

I get my professional indemnity insurance from the FHT and pay £43 or something like that - I'm sure we're all roughly the same.

For buildings and contents though I'd recommend you get yourself a good broker. They shop around and get the best package for you. I'm using the Jelf Group and just can't believe what an amazing deal they got for me. I pay just over £200 which covers my property, my business and the flat upstairs. The owner of the flat has to pay half so I basically get it for about a £100. I used to pay £400 just for the building (to then be shared) and thought that was fine until I came across these guys. I think they cover the whole country so might be worth looking them up. Otherwise just talk to your local high street brokers - they won't charge you a penny for a quote so you've got nothing to lose. Good luck!

Hi, please bear in mind that each salon dotted throughout the country will have different variables - not all salons are the same, that is a good thing and illustrates your individuality.

To help understand the insurance equation, insurers use the following factors to arrive at an insurance premium: -

1.Location (post code); geographics include hot spots (flood/ theft areas)
2.Construction of shop/ premises/ building and whether there is a flat roof
3.Security (intruder alarm/ grills/ shutters)
4.Insurance values (contents/ stock/ tenants improvements*/ buildings)
5.Claims history/ experience
6.Number of qualified hairdressers/ beauticians
7.Do you work away from the salon**

Notes

* alterations to the fabric of the building (floor/ ceiling/ electrics/ partitioning etc)

** standard policies exclude any work away from the salon (bridal/ photo shoots/ competitions etc); check cover

Please ensure that you insure for replacement as new costs for stock/ tenants improvements (rebuild value for buildings) to ensure that should you suffer a loss that you are insured correctly. Any form of under insurance will activate the 'average' clause and thus the percentage you are under insured will be used against your insured value. To demonstrate, if you are insuring contents for £5,000 and suffer a fire and need to replace but the actual figure is £10,000 you are 50% under insured. The claim settlement will be based on 50% of the insured value, thus you will receive only £2,500 less any policy excess. BE CAREFUL

The Hairdressers Treatment Risk varies from insurer to insurer; either by limit of indemnity/ definition of a qualified stylist or acceptable treaments; check

A Minimum Standard Security Warranty will be attached to your policy/ quotation - please ensure you comply with this to negate issues with cover

Thus 2 salons with identical insurance values and staff number may or may not be quoted the same premium. As a number of you have mentioned, it is always worthwile looking about for alternative quotes but just be careful that you arrange cover that suits, meets your requirements and will activate when you need it.

I hope the above helps and if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Last edited:
I've just renewed my nail technician insurance with an online company called coversupermarket, thats for liability only and covers me from the chair I rent and mobile. £55 and that covers every treatment I do, including eyelash extensions and waxing
The manager insures there too, she has beauty salon insurance which covers her contents, as well as public/employers liability :)

hi there i decided to go to babtac for my insurence it was roughly 90 pounds for the year and that also gives you babtac membership which is pretty good .

Will be renewing my insurance soon and have been reading a couple of posts on here regarding insurance.... my insurance for the first year was around £1000 I got this cut down with a different company to around £600 for the second year. However, people have said they've got it for £85 or so! It was for a mobile therapist so I presume thats slightly different, but am i paying too much???
If you are paying for the shop cover that does sound high, please call us at Insurance World for a quote on 01604 615427

Latest posts

Back