Salon letting prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louge

Reaction score
I was driving to work the other day and saw that the estate agents near me had closed down and on the off chance wondered what the rent would be, not that Im anywhere near ready to open my own salon yet (long way to go), just curious as where I live rent can be a bit on the expensive side.
After much ringing around I finally got hold of the landlord who wanted two grand a month:eek: .
Not suprising as its a decent area, on a main road with full front windows. The bit that confused me was I didnt realise that commercial properties for rent can only have certain types of business in them, e.g this is an A2 listed property which is for office use only.
So my question is what would a salon be listed as?:rolleyes:

You can apply to the council for change of usage, I can't remember what they charge for this but I am sure it can be done. HTH

Even if I managed that I still couldnt afford the rent then bills on top. Its such a shame that I dont have that sort of money to play with, the location and size of the property are fab, I had it all layed out in my head. At least its something to drive me on...I suppose if I just worked for a year and had no out goings then my current wage would cover 1 years rent no problem lol!!!

The listing will be dependent on your local council... Contact them to find out what classification nail salons fall into and they will tell you what areas you can and can't operate in... my council list them as A3 and I am only allowed on the first floor if in the town centre or on the ground floor if outside a one mile radius to the town centre - prehistoric red tape hey !!!

AH I see. Too late to phone them now so I will wait till Tuesday as its bank hols weekend and oh yes Im working all of it:cry:

You could call the real estate agency and ask them what the classification is as well .....That's what we did when I bought my Salon in the States....the zoneing is different for different blocks.....like having bars / stip clubs in certain area's of town....beauty places are like that too ...also the building's in the way that they are built sometimes are tricky in the way you can seal the walls for the 'fumes' that a beauty place makes .Lot's of things for inspectors to consider. Just thought I'd add my $ .02 cents !

louge said:
I was driving to work the other day and saw that the estate agents near me had closed down and on the off chance wondered what the rent would be, not that Im anywhere near ready to open my own salon yet (long way to go), just curious as where I live rent can be a bit on the expensive side.
After much ringing around I finally got hold of the landlord who wanted two grand a month:eek: .
Not suprising as its a decent area, on a main road with full front windows. The bit that confused me was I didnt realise that commercial properties for rent can only have certain types of business in them, e.g this is an A2 listed property which is for office use only.
So my question is what would a salon be listed as?:rolleyes:
if it's just nails you need sui generous permission. My salon had a1 but it wasn't good enough!!!!I had to pay £275 plus £20 for arial maps. Right rip off!!!but its got to be done.

forgot to say!!!in the future if this is a possibility for you barter barter barter. I got my rent halfed by been cheeky and got 3 month rent free too!!just make sure you have a fab solicitor
good luck

no wonder the estate agent closed down with rent that expensive!!

rent is usually based on square footage for your area, and often the more exposure the more expensive it will be, and then there's outgoings if you're in a shopping centre

Thanks for the replies. The building has been sitting empty for about a month so I will wait and see what happens. and I still need to contact the council.

Latest posts

Back