Salon Manager or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have a growing salon with me as manager and doing nails/Brows - 1 self employed beauty (going on maternity soon) and 2 Junior part time beauty/nails staff who are very promising and doing well. They finish college in July.

My concern is that I'm the sole person responsible for everything. :confused: The others really just do treatments and clean. The self employed helps with managing bookings and planning the day and I have asked if she would like to manage perhaps after maternity leave as an employed member. She would love to but I feel I need someone now and not at the end of the year. She is coming back part time in August and wants another baby after that.

Would you hold off and cope (which is difficult as some days I'm doing treatments, answering phone and doing reception etc.. all at the same time if on my own and it looks so unprofessional). I also have to leave every day at 3pm except Thursday's to pick up my own children.

There isnt really money to fund a manager but I'm stifling growth only able to be in the salon til 3 most days and my Juniors only able to work a few peak hours a week til they finish college.

Please help - I'm juggling so very much :eek: and need to know where I should go with this.. our reputation is fab and I really want to keep it that way..

Anyone else reached this crossroads?? Thanks :hug:

Could you maybe get a receptionist? Who can work busy periods? Im just thinking 'manager' means more pay so more outgoings for you.

Receptionist can take bookings, calls, can take payments, deal with enquiries, cash up more of the admin side.

Good luck nice to hear you are doing well xx

Thanks Steph - it's certainly a consideration and perhaps I could step back a little and just do my VIP clients.
My worry was that they are not revenue generating and didn't want someone sat there. However judging by today they would have beeb very busy!
A Saturday receptionist would be feasible.

Maybe I should monitor drop ins and phone calls. We seem to get more of these on a Tuesday. But we're not too busy with treatments.

My Juniors could both be full time from July and cover the reception too between them but can I wait 'til then!

Why don't you just look for a temp part time receptionist till July?

Also, are your juniors in college? If so, we finished in May! (Ok a few years ago now) just check what date college ends, they may need the odd day in June for any exams. But i think they should be finished well before July :) xx

Yes I could Steph - thank you! It's late here for finishing college unfortunately. May even be more permanent if things continue... appreciate your time in replying..:hug:

No worries! That, or if it is a more permanent thing maybe a newer part time junior? Hopefully the qualified juniors will start to get busy too xx

Can you not take on a "salon assistant" person who can answer phone, greet clients, make refreshments and during the time they aren't on the phone or helping clients they can tidy/ clean. Sort of like a sales assistant position but in a salon. Xoxo

The Juniors are much like that but with the added benefit of being able to perform treatments. I think when they can do more hours in July it would fulfill that. I need help with management really as I do everything: bookings needing approval from online, gift vouchers online, control cleaning schedule, take towels home to wash, complaints and queries, training, HR, bookkeeping, marketing, stock control and ordering, keep Facebook very up to date and my website - list goes on of course.

The others just answer phone, take bookings, do the cleaning on the schedule and do treatments. I have tried to delegate stock control and ordering but it's not done properly and I get asked then - have we got such and such, we've run out of such and such.

I can't do it all my own. They get an easy ride of it doing treatments and getting bonuses for these treatments and everything is on my shoulders :sad:

Sorry - I'm between a rock and hard place with my key staff memeber about to leave on maternity and beauty staff only in on Thursday and Saturday :sad:(I'm not beauty trained).

You need some one to just do those things you said, im sure you would be able to teach someone what you want :) i'd look for a temp receptionist/ assistant for 3 months if it goes well you could then look in to permanent employment. Just opt for part time so its not too much of a drain on your profits.

Im sure there will be alot of interest as even though it isn't treatment experience it is work with in a salon so people can gain an insight to how thr salon runs. Xx

sounds like you need someone that doesnt do treatments so that they can concentrate on the list of things you stated. why dont you advertise for someone even just 2 -3 hours a day who can be on reception but also tackle all the stock monitoring/ordering, facebook, website, admin for you. If its someone that cant do treatments then they wont get distracted and will be focused on admin. 2 hours a day could make all the difference for you to take things off your load so you can concentrate on treatments. is there not a kids club that your children can go to after school also so that you dont have to rush off? even if its only 2 days a week or something xx

ps. look on the bright side that you are busy in this ecomomic climate xx

Actually - being honest, I like the 'non treatment' side. Because I'm so stressy/busy running the place I'm not the best person to give treatments as I'm struggling to talk to them. I do like my VIP list of clients though and happy to keep them.

I would much prefer to manage the overall operation as these are my strengths/background and fit with the kids. (I can't do after school club for a few reasons).

You guys are all being really helpful. :biggrin:

My worry is currently that between April and July I will only have a beauty therapist on a Thursday and Saturday - possibly Friday too.
It was much easier on my own and now I've moved somewhere bigger and more prominent, I can't cope. :sad:

I would be looking for someone who is fairly new but has a good skill set then, start them on part time on the days your apprentice'a aren't in to cover them. Or speak to another college and take people who's college days will be different to the others you have so there will always be an apprentice or 2 in xoxo

Can you take on an apprentice whether that be beauty or customer services?

why dont u offer work exp /part time work for a student in local uni studying management/business/ marketing /stock control im sure they would jump at the chance. they would get experiance with helping run a business. just a suggestion x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Unfortunately we don't have apprentices where I live (offshore) - I can get a NEET (not in employment or education) scheme.. that may be worth a shot.

The hours need covering but I need to maintain standards. I'm tempted to open only when I have cover with a reliable team. :biggrin:

Have you considered getting a beauty therapist to cover the maternity leave of your current therapist? That way things can kind of continue the way they are until you can look into/afford a permanent receptionist?
Failing that do you have any friends/know of anybody that only works part time and could do a couple of days in the salon with you? If they weren't to do treatments they could answer the phone, update facebook, do the cleaning rotas, tidy up, put your orders in etc... whilst you're with your clients?
Congratulations on having a busy, successful salon though! X

Why don't you drop a day doing clients? For example if you are currently doing 5 days as a therapist, why not do 4 days as a therapist and use the 5th day to man the reception and catch up with paperwork, orders etc. This is what I would do xx

Latest posts

Back