Salon software: really useful or really wasteful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnyminnie

Reaction score
Hi geeks, Good summer so far?

We're in our 2nd tax year and i have started to assess whether we should invest in salon software and hardware. The costs as you may know, mean that they have to be necessary not luxury. So i guess what im asking is... based on the fact we're due to break even this year if not make a small profit, do you think based on your experience that it is a justified expense bareing in mind most are on 3 year finance and a minimum of £3500 inc hardware?

all angles on this welcome :)
xxx

When used properly, Salon software can actually save your salon money, and help to increase turnover, in effect paying for it self.some of the ways it can do this are:

1. Reduce no shows [by sending reminders]
  2. Encouraging cross sales [by on screen prompts]
  3. Encouraging re-booking [by on screen prompts, loyalty rewards]
  4. Increasing client spend [by email/SMS marketing]
  5. Improving services [by analyzing how and when clients spend money]
  6. Reduce accountancy costs [by collating required information]
As the software was built by the husband of a salon owner, and we ourselfs are salon owners, it is a product that really works, and does what a salon needs, not what someone thinks it needs.

You are right to note that it is a significant outlay, and you need to look out for any hidden costs, annual fees or monthly fees. Also look at the cost of SMS messaging.

At SoftBooking we offer a complete salon software, with no annual fees, no monthly fees [ongoing support optional after initial period] and one of the lowest SMS message rates available.

Our complete hardware and software bundles [includes SoftBooking Software, 15" Touch Screen Terminal, Cash Draw, Receipt Printer, Bar-code Scanner, Support, SMS message bundle, warranty] starts at £2499 for a brand new system. [not a converted computer or refurbished system, although we offer these aswell].

We also run regular offers, including free college courses with purchase, free requirement, Free installation.

If you want to send me a PM with your contact details we can have a chat? And if you want to move forward arrange an online Demo.

Sean
[email protected]
Salon Software Home

Does it also do the same as a normal computer like have word Internet etc...? And is broadband needed for the SMS or is there a sim port? Can the system be payg so you can just send texts for promo's or is it like a monthly thing?
Sorry am not any use to the op, but really interested.
Is there a handheld version for us that are mobile too? And how about home salons (I'm aiming to start a home salon and want all my options known now lol) xoxo

Hi,

I shall respond to the points in the order raised for ease, hope that's ok.

Yes, its is infact a windows based PC, just designed and built for retail environments rather than an office. Whatever software you run on your home PC/Laptop you can run on the terminal [obviously subject to the specification requirements as with any computer]. In terms of MS Word, yes you can run the office package.

An internet connection is needed for the SMS and for the internet data backups.

The SMSmessage work as follows. You purchase an 'SMS bundle' containing either 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, 25000 messages, bundles start at £22.50 for 500messages [6p each]. When you run low, you order more via your SoftBooking software or give us a call/email. There is no monthly fee, minimum spend or expiry.
You set the software to auto send SMS reminders, birthday offers etc, or just use it to send promotions when you feel appropriate. You can also filter who you target, ie only nail clients etc.

There are in effect 2 versions of the software, single lane or networked. Single lane is for a single user multiple users on a single terminal. Networked is where there are multiple terminals [maybe one on reception,one in the treatment room].

As a mobile professional,you would need the single lane/user version. You would use the same version when you moved into your home salon, so no additional costs.

As a mobile tech, I would always suggest a laptop as the best option. You could run the software on a tablet PC, but in reality its difficult to see a diary page on a tablet. [as a Dell Partner we can provide new or refurbished laptops] or you could use your own. I would say speak to us before making your purchase so we can discuss minimum specifications.

Hope this helps? Please feel free to get in touch if you need more info or want an online demo, we don't do the hard sell, we dont believe in calling
you everyday. We are happy to show you and leave you alone ;-).

Do you have an email address and I will send some info and prices. feel free to PM or email it me.

Sean
0845 838 0857
07756086997 [available out of hours]s
[email protected]

Does it also do the same as a normal computer like have word Internet etc...? And is broadband needed for the SMS or is there a sim port? Can the system be payg so you can just send texts for promo's or is it like a monthly thing?
Sorry am not any use to the op, but really interested.
Is there a handheld version for us that are mobile too? And how about home salons (I'm aiming to start a home salon and want all my options known now lol) xoxo

Just an update.

I have looked at the prices.

For mobile professionals, we can do the full software with no annual or monthly fees, 3 months support, Pre installation and setup, delivery and a Brand new laptop for £1945 plus VAT

Op... I couldnt live with ours in the salon! Saves time and money! Best investment the salons made! Only bad point.... You need a week to get yourself used to it!!

I've been part of Premier Software for nearly 15 years now, and I've yet to find a business that's regretted going computerised. Paper records are easily lost, damaged, mistakes are made, then you get people like me who's handwriting is very similar to my 5 year old who's currently learning to write..

A computerised system will make your business easier to run; I can run reports at whim, there's no way I can overbook, and the system automatically sends out appointment reminders.

Fundamentally, any good software will manage day to day information and let you get on with managing your business.

If you're interested in looking at our desktop software (I'm guessing you'd be looking at Premier Style) I'd be happy to get one of our sales team to get in touch and come give you a demo of the system. Many of our staff are from the industry, and so they know how best to use the system for real-life situations.

Alternatively, if you're not going to need the full feature set of the desktop product, you could also try Salonlite, which is totally free. Because it's free, we can't do demonstrations etc, but it does mean you can sign up, test it out, and if (and it's a big 'if') you don't like it, you've not lost anything by not using it.

If you'd like to ask me any questions in general over software / tech in the industry, feel free to ask.

Edit: Forgot to add, Salonlite is optimised for the iPad, and we're working on an iPhone version (we're getting very close to release, although I'm not allowed to give a date just yet!), so for mobile it's pretty much perfect.

Hi geeks, Good summer so far?

We're in our 2nd tax year and i have started to assess whether we should invest in salon software and hardware. The costs as you may know, mean that they have to be necessary not luxury. So i guess what im asking is... based on the fact we're due to break even this year if not make a small profit, do you think based on your experience that it is a justified expense bareing in mind most are on 3 year finance and a minimum of £3500 inc hardware?

all angles on this welcome :)
xxx

Hi there! Iam too in my second year! I am alone and go mobile but to need something to help me.
So far I am useing an app called Nails. Great for just me to arrange appointments and says it will sort my tax... But not tried it yet. Done it myself.

But so want to get something to help me! But not at this cost.

Hope this page can help as very interesting
Thank you

Hi there! Iam too in my second year! I am alone and go mobile but to need something to help me.
So far I am useing an app called Nails. Great for just me to arrange appointments and says it will sort my tax... But not tried it yet. Done it myself.

But so want to get something to help me! But not at this cost.

Hope this page can help as very interesting
Thank you

See my post above - if you're looking for a system without the cost, Salonlite is unrestricted, unlimited, and free.

Salonlite is fantastic, i kept looking for the catch! There was'nt one.
We are still to go "Live" online booking but i have set up everything in the settings for staff and prices etc, just fininshing new website before i embed.
I use ipad in salon plus pc laptop in office and Mac at home, a system that works on all, for FREE! ;).
Small salons and mobiles its a must have.

Hi
Any Geeks looking for software with or without hardware at a low cost without the monthly/annual
feels, feel free to drop me a line.

We also offer [via our partners at Premier Finance] finance and rental aswell, and if you are looking to upgrade/replace any of your treatments equipment, we may be able to include this cost in the finance aswell.

Sean
[email protected]

Ooh can't wait for the iPhone version to come out, will it be available on the app store? Is the paid version available for the iPhone?

Xoxo

Ooh can't wait for the iPhone version to come out, will it be available on the app store? Is the paid version available for the iPhone?

Xoxo

The desktop product has online booking, which is slightly different - it's more geared towards allowing you clients to book on the move - but there is still the capabilities of viewing appointments on the iPad etc.

We'll hopefully be getting an official release for the iPhone version soon, and yep, it'll be on the app store :)

I agree with the comment it can save u money! My previous salon had it and it worked wonders so when I opened mine this yr I decided I would get it when I could afford it. I've got with salon advantage after looking in to all options (read the small print!) as it was designed by a salon owner who still has a salon and it's a smaller more personal company. Will let you know how it is after my first month as only just got it installed

our softbooking was also built by a salon owner, and us sold by a software company, also owners if a salon.

we are a small, friendly business, and operate as such. clients have my mobile number as well as the office direct line, and we have built some fantastic relationships with our clients. feel free to email me [email protected] and visit our site www.beautysalonsoftware.co.uk.

sean

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

thank you for all the feedback, really helpful :) x

When used properly, Salon software can actually save your salon money, and help to increase turnover, in effect paying for it self.some of the ways it can do this are:

1. Reduce no shows [by sending reminders]
  2. Encouraging cross sales [by on screen prompts]
  3. Encouraging re-booking [by on screen prompts, loyalty rewards]
  4. Increasing client spend [by email/SMS marketing]
  5. Improving services [by analyzing how and when clients spend money]
  6. Reduce accountancy costs [by collating required information]
As the software was built by the husband of a salon owner, and we ourselfs are salon owners, it is a product that really works, and does what a salon needs, not what someone thinks it needs.

You are right to note that it is a significant outlay, and you need to look out for any hidden costs, annual fees or monthly fees. Also look at the cost of SMS messaging.

At SoftBooking we offer a complete salon software, with no annual fees, no monthly fees [ongoing support optional after initial period] and one of the lowest SMS message rates available.

Our complete hardware and software bundles [includes SoftBooking Software, 15" Touch Screen Terminal, Cash Draw, Receipt Printer, Bar-code Scanner, Support, SMS message bundle, warranty] starts at £2499 for a brand new system. [not a converted computer or refurbished system, although we offer these aswell].

We also run regular offers, including free college courses with purchase, free requirement, Free installation.

If you want to send me a PM with your contact details we can have a chat? And if you want to move forward arrange an online Demo.

Sean
[email protected]
Salon Software Home

Hi Sean,

I am thinking of adding software to our salon as well. The thing that worries me is what happens when the Internet goes down and you have no access to your diary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Our SoftBooking is desktop based, so your internet connection will not impact upon your system use.

the only issue lost internet connection will cause is the abity to back up your data on our secure server (you can back up to memory stick if needed, should connection be lost).

If you PM or email me a contact number im happy to discuss any concerns.- no hard sell I promise ;-)

[email protected]

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

consider if you want an installed based system vs web based.

There are significant cost differences to consider.

Also software that can help increase your revenue by having integrated marketing tools, and ecommerce ( gift certificates!), can be a huge revenue booster for you.

Installed = large $ upfront - no monthly costs (online booking is extra per month)

Web-based = smaller monthly payments

Depends on your financial situation.

Software can help you save time and grow your business.

You should try and see demonstrations of the software so you can get a feel for how it works from a users perspective.

Latest posts

Back