Scary how little some therapists know

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missljw

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this but thought this was the best place...

I've recently become friends with another beauty therapist and we've been talking about all different treatments etc. and it actually scares me some of the things she does! She works in a high end salon, where you would think everybody knows there stuff..

She waxes then tints, and didnt know there was any problem with this! She will cut the eponychium, and quite often the client will bleed - and in these cases she will tell the client it is THEIR fault because their blood flow is too good!

I know when i was at college people passed assessments for doing things totaly wrong - one girl applied strip wax in the wrong direction and removed in the wrong direction and somehow managed to pass!!

There are so many things that can cause problems for clients in our industry - why aren't they tougher on the training?!?

ive worked in salons where i was told by the owners to tint over mascara as it would work through, i was told just to keep watering down the mud for body wraps which meant clients werent losing inches like they should of!!

its shocking what goes on out there, its just up to us as good therapists to help others and do good treatments ourselves xx

ive worked in salons where i was told by the owners to tint over mascara as it would work through, i was told just to keep watering down the mud for body wraps which meant clients werent losing inches like they should of!!

its shocking what goes on out there, its just up to us as good therapists to help others and do good treatments ourselves xx

That's not the way to get clients to return is it! Yeah, I always think atleast I know I'm doing it right!

I don't like trying new salons though for treatments on myself as I know so many don't do what they should be doing :(

im currently training to be a beauty therapist..ill have finished my nvq2 in a month and what you're saying scares me a little. I know theres a spa by me that a friend went to and she had an eyebrow wax and they literally waxed 4 hairs...and they did a french tip manicure and didnt put a base coat on or applied the polish properly...it makes me wonder a.where they were taught and b...how did they get that way ... surely therapists should know to tint before waxing or to apply a base coat...

im currently training to be a beauty therapist..ill have finished my nvq2 in a month and what you're saying scares me a little. I know theres a spa by me that a friend went to and she had an eyebrow wax and they literally waxed 4 hairs...and they did a french tip manicure and didnt put a base coat on or applied the polish properly...it makes me wonder a.where they were taught and b...how did they get that way ... surely therapists should know to tint before waxing or to apply a base coat...

You would think so! I always thought even if people were qualified but rubbish they would do a trade test and not get the job. Seems thats not the case. Hopefully us good therapists will out weigh the ones who don't do things correctly.

There was an article in the daily mail where a woman went to a salon and had her brows waxed and then tinted, without a patch test. Her eyebrows burnt off and she was getting really badly itchy, so went to hospital where they said if she had come in any later she would have gone blind! The response of the salon was that she had not wanted a patch test doing! Surely you are the professional and should know that one needs doing!

its law now that you have to have a patch test for waxing,tinting,hair dye,fake tan at about 48 hours before...it got drilled into us when i first started as a girl didnt go for a patch test, got her hair coloured and reacted that badly she went into a coma...

its law now that you have to have a patch test for waxing,tinting,hair dye,fake tan at about 48 hours before...it got drilled into us when i first started as a girl didnt go for a patch test, got her hair coloured and reacted that badly she went into a coma...

I patch test for tints and fake tan (if they've never had a tan or used tanning products before) but not for waxing with every client - there have been some occasions where I have if they are über sensitive etc but I didn't know it was the law to patch test on all these things.

i never have treatments elsewhere as i sit there thinking why are they doing that or not doing something!

Someone told me "couldnt you just work round the cold sore" regarding a lady who wanted a facial. I felt awkward so i changed the subject.

Do you have a link to that? If you are insured then yes you have to do a patch test otherwise claim won't be valid, but is it actually law?

Someone told me "couldnt you just work round the cold sore" regarding a lady who wanted a facial. I felt awkward so i changed the subject.

Nice.

Do you have a link to that? If you are insured then yes you have to do a patch test otherwise claim won't be valid, but is it actually law?
http://www.habia.org/uploads/waxing_code_of_practice_booklet.pdf (page 11)

My bad..as i was going off what my tutor said..it says its essential for sensitive skin/known allergies and its recommended 24hours prior to treatment for a new client but basically says check with your insurance policy regarding patch testing...

At the risk of making myself sound stupid, how do you patch test for waxing??
I trained some years ago so maybe its a new thing or something that has slipped my mind but I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard of this until reading this thread.
If the client is wanting an eyebrow wax do you take a small patch here and make them walk about like that for 24hrs?

That poor lady was actually a relative of a geek, she sadly passed away recently.
I have never been offered a patch test in any hairdressers and many of my clients are really shocked when I insist, 'no patch test, no treatment.'

That poor lady was actually a relative of a geek, she sadly passed away recently.
I have never been offered a patch test in any hairdressers and many of my clients are really shocked when I insist, 'no patch test, no treatment.'
im really sorry to hear she passed away x my condolences to her family...i fully agree with the no patch test...no treatment rule as things like this can happen...too many ppl arent patch testing and surely its safer to have the patch test than a reaction happening

im really sorry to hear she passed away x my condolences to her family...i fully agree with the no patch test...no treatment rule as things like this can happen...too many ppl arent patch testing and surely its safer to have the patch test than a reaction happening

Clients don't seem to understand the need for patch tests. A lot will just go elsewhere where they don't need one, as its easier than having to go to the salon twice! But then who's going to be the one complaining when they have a reaction! I suppose alot of people just think 'i'll be okay, what are the chances of it happening to me'

At the risk of making myself sound stupid, how do you patch test for waxing??
I trained some years ago so maybe its a new thing or something that has slipped my mind but I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard of this until reading this thread.
If the client is wanting an eyebrow wax do you take a small patch here and make them walk about like that for 24hrs?

you don't generally patch test for waxing.

Make sure you do a through consultation.

Use good quality waxing products.

Make sure your training /technique is up to scratch.

Always err on the side of caution.

I have HD brows done every 6 weeks & when my therapist leaves she leaves the HD patch test to use 48 hours before my next appointment.
The salon I rent a table in have turned clients away because of them not wanting a patch test done!! I've seen my neighbour have a bad return to a home hair dye & I didn't recognise her!!
I know therapists want to fill appointments but its madness to do it & possibly cause harm to a client!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back