Sculpting on Ski jump nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Vie

Reaction score
Well I just had my very first paying customer and it was a really tough one!

She wanted a full set of sculpted tips with a colour overlay, I'm not very experienced with sculpts so obviously charged accordingly but the problem was the that she had ski jump/ski slope nails. It was really hard but I think I did the best job I could do and she looked genuinely pleased with them, I've given her my number and told her to call if any problems but wondering what I could have/should have done differently to deal with this shape of nail. She really wasn't interested in an overlay. Any advice would be much appreciated for future reference or incase I need to fix anything with this one later on.

x

Well congrats for taking this client on! I'm sure you did a great job, but yes it can be overwhelming when they ask for something you are shaky on.

Even after 3 years of on and off work with gel enhancements, I still am not a master at sculpting. I much prefer tips, because I know it will look better. But sometimes there's a need for forms.

Depending on her nail bed shape, I probably would've went with clear tips, and clear sculpting gel over top, then colour. I could be wrong, but just imagining the situation in front of me, that's what I would go with.

Remember that every situation is a learning experience, and without having the experience of every type of nails, we would never know what to do!

When I do Full sculpted ski jump nails ip ut the form under and sculpt in clear I make it quite thick to start to fill the gap from the form to the nail, then do all 10 fingers take off the forms and file the clear underneath to thin it, and make a c-curve with my drill (carfully dont touch the skin) and then it doesnt look ski jumpy and its thin enought to start and I do whatever from there, french or color ect. Hope that helped a little

Hi Sarah Payne

I completely understand what you mean about filling the gap then reducing with an e file. Problem is I've only been doing nails properly since retraining with creative since April. I'm obviously not experienced enough to have training with an e file so how could I effectively reduce the acrylic buildup under the nail. Would find it really helpful if you could think of an alternative to an e file, not sure a standard file would fit. My daughter has terrible ski jump nails but loves sculpts rather than tips thanks Karen x

Thank you for the replies ladies, I'm working with Bio and am definitely not up to using an e-file yet (not sure I will use them anyway) but I have spoken to Bio and asked to be put onto their next tip course. Will order some tips and sculpting gel and get practicing with that method as a back up for the future!

I'm finding Sculptures sooo difficult but on the plus side I did my first set of infills on my first set of sculps today and managed to even them all out, by the time she left they were looking fab so it's restored my confidence a bit.

I've decided to bite the bullet and put up a special offer on sculptures to get in as much practice as possible. In the mean time if anyone has any tips on application methods they'd be gratefully received! The bio group here doesn't seem to get much traffic x

Latest posts

Back