Self employed and pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missbeauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone just need some advise/reassurance, I've my own beauty salon as 4 years everything is going really good still have some odd quite weeks, the thing is I've just found out I'm pregnant and I'm petrified that my business may suffer from me taking time of work for the new arrival!!Just want to see if any of you lovely ladies have been the same position as me and how you coped I'm worrying myself silly at the min so any advise/tips would be so helpful :) x

Hi congratulations, I haven't been in this situation but I'm self employed and have thought about when the time comes what am I going to do, and I think I will end up getting someone to cover me for maternity leave on a temporary contract maybe and see how it goes xxx

Hmmm food for thought. Watching this very closely, a subject close to my heart at the moment. Sorry OP, can't be of much help but I'm sure some lovely geeks will come up with some fab ideas.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I was in the same position. I only took 12 weeks maternity and went in every few days I was off. It was more stressfull than normal maternity leave, but you gotta do what you gotta do! The best thing I did was ensure I had a good manager when I found out I was pregnant. I spent my pregnancy planning my leave and training her up.
My daughter is 17 months now and my manageress is still at the salon being a diamond as usual :)
Best tips I can give - Dont be afraid to ask for help and dont kid yourself that you can do EVERYTHING. Ensure your staff are well trained, prepared and trustworthy. Above all, Enjoy it! You'll work it out, and your clients will completely understand and be happy to wait for you, and try out your other staff untill you return
CONGRATULATIONS! xxxx

Hi
I had a really similar experience to the last post. I ended up taking 4 months off but was really involved. I am lucky to have a business partner, so a good manager would be essential to you now and for any unplanned time off at later dates. Kids get alot of bugs!!!
My clients were great and supportive. My only problem was I found I really wanted to work part time once I'd had her. This was difficult for the business. But I believe you can make it work if you want to.
Good luck
Josie x

Sorry just read your post again do you employ or is it just you at your salon? One of my girls set up on her own and when she got pregnant she recommended places for her clients but had her book open for her return as she went on mat leave. She gave clients vouchers for their first treatment. I did alot of her clients and as she was a friend I was involved in sending them back her way once she returned. Make sure you have contact details for everyone and send them a card out once return with a nice offer.
Josie x

Do you have any staff ? If you can get by with them doing the treatments and you managing the salon you should be ok.

When I rented a room, Im not going to lie, it was a nightmare !!! As I had to do everything myself I really, really struggled. I worked up until 38 weeks and I had SPD so could barely walk towards the end and made it ten times worse by continuing to do treatments. Realistically if I hadn't been self employed I would of been signed off.

I went back to work when my baby was 8 weeks old as I felt under pressure from the salon as they let me have the time off rent free so although they never hassled me into going back I felt incrediblely guilty that the salon owner wasn't getting any money from me. Anyhow I had to loose some clients as I was only doing two mornings per week and it nearly killed me. I really, really hated leaving my baby. I also discovered that I do NOT function well on sleepless nights.

The biggest mistake I made was trying to hard to please certain clients, another reason I worked so far into my pregnancy and went back early was because of my regular clients. 90% of them were amazing but the ones that troubled me the most when I was pregnant didn't even bother coming back !!

If you get yourself organised sooner rather than later im sure you will be fine. I don't really have anyone to babysit so I did struggle to sort everything out in the early days.

Good luck with everything, you will love being a mummy.

I know when my mother fell pregnant just months after becoming a salon owner.. She decided to make the salon child friendly with a crèche request on bookings, she had my sister at work with her (dropped her hours to part time and did most of the business stuff from home) . You could still find someone to cover you for the most part but keep close with your most treasured clients. Could also be a massive marketing opportunity as well.. I don't know your situation in regards to salon size an what you offer, but I just thought I would throw it out there... It's definately something I will be looking into when I expand from a home salon to a shop front. :)

She did crèche requests on bookings so that she wasn't paying the child minder to be there when it wasn't needed.

Thanks everyone for your replies it's been really helpful!! It's only me at the min I don't have any staff but I am putting an advertisement in our local papers for part time staff to help me out and cover my maternity leave( which unfortunately Is going to be really short) . I've gr8 support from my family and my husbands so il get through it all!! Thanks for taking the time to reply it's much appreciated xxx :)

Congratulations !!

I can only speak from the experience of the girl I work with. We're both self employed. She worked pretty much up until her due date - obviously things like pedicures were near impossible towards the end but luckily this was October and not much call for it.

When she left on Maternity she brought in another girl where as she supplied the products and in return the girl gave her a certain percentage of what she took - so that meant all of her clients were looked after.

The new mum did come back pretty early on (issues with the girl she choose to cover!) but all of her regulars are willing to move into days together so she doesnt have to be there everyday whilst the baby is so young

HTH x

I'm in the same situation although with my second child!
I will be in the salon until I drop I know I will and be there every few days after I am lucky I do have a good team and 1 girl that has been with me from day 1 (when my 6 year old was 4 months)
I won't lie it is hard and u will be shattered but you can do it.

Thanks girls you have put my mind at ease!! I will be here until I drop as well divine h&b and Likely straight after the baby comes although I will feel pretty guilty about that but these thing just have to be done. I am planning on cutting my hours down to a four day week so that mite help but I know in for a busy time lol!! Hopefully I can find someone trustworthy and reliable make things easier :)

Hi everyone just need some advise/reassurance, I've my own beauty salon as 4 years everything is going really good still have some odd quite weeks, the thing is I've just found out I'm pregnant and I'm petrified that my business may suffer from me taking time of work for the new arrival!!Just want to see if any of you lovely ladies have been the same position as me and how you coped I'm worrying myself silly at the min so any advise/tips would be so helpful :) x

hi missbeauty , im in the exact same situation i have had my business for nearly 5 years due to leave work in 9weeks , luckily i have a part time therapist who has been with me 2 and a half years who i trust , and over the last few weeks iv been interviewing for another part time therapist , so they can split the hours il have her working along side me for the 6weeks before i leave to get to know clients , training , startin to build up clients , and just for me to see how she works really , its quite stressful the thought of leaving ur business in hands of other ppl who u have to trust whole heartly , i have told the girls and clients il be in all the time popping in for cuppa , catching up and showing me baba off to my clients etc , so il be doing those without letting them know when im coming to keep them on their toes a bit really , and luckily im in a building with a seperate hairdressers and we are all like a family , so the girls will be keeping an eye out and coming upstairs to check , but really what more can you do , to me my first priority right now is my baby then second the business so you just got to do what you go to do really or otherwise we will never get to settle down with our familys

congratz by the way :)

p.s im planning on having 6months off , and can only go back part time as i havnt got help childcare and dont want to parm my baby off , but luckily for my clients and the buisness im hoping to go back a few days that we would normally finish at 5pm , take over the girls from maybee 3.30pm and open til 7pm (already til 7pm thur , fri ) so hoping it will generate more buisness to us , as our late night appointments always go first on thurs and fridays , and my clients who will only have me can squeeze there appointments in after work , but who knows what it will turn out like what will be will be an once im in that situation il have a clearer head as to whats working and isnt working

Latest posts

Back