Self Employed Help Needed!!!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olabecee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping I would get some valuable advise / comments on which way to go as I've found some of your valuable replies to questions on this site.
I'm due to start working as self-employed with a very well known and reputable hair salon in my area. (I've only just moved into the area about six months now) The contract will be on a 50/50 percentage but the owner will be supplying everything I need. I'm supposed to be doing nails and wax for a start but she's not talking about the wax part anymore. She hasn't sorted out the uniforms as she promised as well. She's only designed the back where I'll be working as a nail bar only without having the privacy of a beauty couch/treatment section. She also said we should see how it goes and if the business is getting really busy, she might have to bring in her daughter to work with me as well. The thing is her daughter is not as dedicated as I am and that's the reason she preferred me to start instead.
She will be responsible for everything from stock, bills to advertising and all I just have to do is be there for the set times I have agreed to work.
I'll also be having a reception area for myself so I don't have to use the hair dressing section till to collect money. She also said there'll be a phone for me at the back so clients can call me directly rather than call the hair section.
I haven't been given the contract yet but hopefully I should get it at some point this week but I don't know what the clauses will be? Also as regards the insurance, who should be responsible for this? Everything has just been dragging since January by her but things are shaping up as she has done the nail poster but I'm not sure if I'm on the right part with this person or if there are more things I should be discussing with her as I've never been self employed.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. And sorry for my waffling. So sorry.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to wait until you get the contract and then make an appointment with a tax adviser at your local tax office.
Take the contract along and ask the adviser what you are responsible for, tax wise.
If they tell you, then it is cast in stone and you cant go wrong.
Also you can make arrangement's to pay a small sum monthly before you ever get a bill. Normally I would have said open a savings account, so that your money earns a bit of interest but with the interest rates being so low, you wont loose much by just paying it to the tax office lol
As regards the waxing, no, I wouldn't let that one slide.
I would politely remind her that part of the deal was your being able to offer waxing and thats not a skill you are prepard to let slide through lack of practice.
Good luck hun, apart from minor gliches it sounds like you have landed on your feet there:hug:

Thanks a lot Suzie H, I'll definately be speaking to him about the wax treatment and all other stuffs bugging my mind. I'll keep you posted. Any other advise or comments from other geeks highly welcome. Thanks

Hi

I have just posted onto the biz forum and I think it would be worth just clarifying your self employed status.

Latest posts

Back