Self employed- Maternity allowance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megdav87

Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me.

I am a self employed therapist working within a salon on a percentage split.

I have an accountant who once a year I give my books to and he calculates my tax.

I'm having a baby at the end of October so will be eligible for Maternity allowance.

I was given a form by my midwife and she said that I was to give it to my accountant for my mat allowance.

I was wondering, is it best to ask the accountant to apply for it, or can I just do it myself???I like to be in control of such things and his communication skills aren't the best.

I'm not 100% sure but think you can apply through job centre or something. Google the direct gov website it tells you on there. I do my own accounts so wouldn't have anyone to give mine to if I had another baby. Congratulations by the way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would have thought that you would have to do it your self anyway as the benefit is for you if that makes sense :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Firstly, congratulations!
Yes, I would do it yourself as they ask you questions about your working hours etc, which your accountant might not know.
I think I downloaded the paperwork from the jobcentre website and then posted it all back with my maternity certificate.

I'm just returning to work this week after 9 months off :)

Good luck ,a don't please don't hesitate to PM me if you need and other advise about Mat leave and being self employed.

Enjoy!!

Lucy

Do it yourself.

You can download the application form online and once its filled in send it off when required with MATB1 form your midwife gave you.

I had a bit of a mad panic as my first application was declined due to my national insurance payments but i was due to make a payment so as soon as that was cleared with HMRC it was checked and was accepted.

Hope this helps x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi I've just going bk to work too :) I just rang the maternity allowance number for job center they send you out a form. fill it in send it back with a mat b 1 form and they will get back to you. I get £136 a week. Make sure you have paid all your stamp and that you don't owe any money to hmrc because if you do you will get knocked back until you pay what you owe as I did :-/. Also when your returning back to work you can still get your maternity allowance and do 10 days work :) which has helped me alot to let all my clients know I'm back. You can claim it from 26 weeks I think. I left work 2 weeks before I was due and went back when my lo was 12 weeks :( hope this helps :) xx

Thankyou all so so much for your help.

What a relief!

I really didn't want to get him to do it!

Il download the form and get it sorted!

Thankyou!

I think you can claim it for 36 weeks, 10 working days can be taken over any period you just need to notify them of the dates, Chantelle how did you find it going back to work when ur baby was 12 weekspregnant? I'm planning on going back 1 day a week after 4 weeks just not sure because its my first xx

Any more info on this thread will be much appreciated as I'm in my third trimester with my third child. I haven't been given any form by my midwife, can I download it somewhere online? Thanks

Any more info on this thread will be much appreciated as I'm in my third trimester with my third child. I haven't been given any form by my midwife, can I download it somewhere online? Thanks

If you go on 'direct.gov.uk' theres loads of clear info ! And its not all gobbledie goook! Lol! ! If not phone the number thats on the website. . Very helpful!! X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back