Self employed nail tech - good or bad idea?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieClaire

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been offered a nail table in a very well known hairdressers to rent on a self employed basis (I can't mention their name).

Thing is, I trained as a CND nail tech last year and since then have been working in my full time job basically because the money is guaranteed etc etc. Well, just after the course I tried to get into being a mobile nail tech and just wasn't earning enough money so came back to my job...so...what I'm trying to get at is, do you think I could potentially earn enough money being self employed in this Industry?

Any ideas on this? I know I'm not being very specific but just need some pointers in the right direction.

Anyone been in my boat or can give me their thoughts on this?

Help!

When you start being self employed you are taking a risk in your wages.....but thats the chance many want as you are your own boss....it has postives and negetives .....a lot of people in their first/second year break even in money.....

You have to buy stock ,pay your rates and bills....on the plus side....you are boss...what you says goes.....if you need time of you take it....

Keep up with advertising and as long as you give good work,you will get clients....never take your problems into work with you.....you have to be 100% sure before you start a business....good luck with what you decide xx

When you start being self employed you are taking a risk in your wages.....but thats the chance many want as you are your own boss....it has postives and negetives .....a lot of people in their first/second year break even in money.....

You have to buy stock ,pay your rates and bills....on the plus side....you are boss...what you says goes.....if you need time of you take it....

Keep up with advertising and as long as you give good work,you will get clients....never take your problems into work with you.....you have to be 100% sure before you start a business....good luck with what you decide xx

Thanks! All information is really going to help me decide. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire so to speak!!!

Thanks! All information is really going to help me decide. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire so to speak!!!

Alot of people jump out the frying pan into the fire and get burnt BADLEY !!!!!...thats why i said 100% sure before you do anything.....research the place....see what mates of your's go where...how much they charge....are they always busy????....where are the other nail tech business's.....

When we opened our studio ...no one was around here...we have had another open in our town...but we keep our prices good....hubs tattoo's brilliantly....and we are still busy.....try not to be too cheap first...people then think cheap and nasty....maybe do a special for the first month.....ask your friends at work if they will come to you for nails.....why not start up at your house ???

Alot of people jump out the frying pan into the fire and get burnt BADLEY !!!!!...thats why i said 100% sure before you do anything.....research the place....see what mates of your's go where...how much they charge....are they always busy????....where are the other nail tech business's.....

When we opened our studio ...no one was around here...we have had another open in our town...but we keep our prices good....hubs tattoo's brilliantly....and we are still busy.....try not to be too cheap first...people then think cheap and nasty....maybe do a special for the first month.....ask your friends at work if they will come to you for nails.....why not start up at your house ???

You're full of fab ideas - all things I thought about when I first trained but seemed to have forgotten! I work long hours at the moment so anyone putting these very useful thoughts back in my head will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Hiya - this is just my perspective and what I have experience.

I was in the lucky position to be able to give up full time work but that is only because for the first time in my life I have someone who is supportive of me and thinks its a great idea that I work as a Mobile Nail Technician Self Employed. I rent a chair one day a week in a tanning salon.

The upside is that I am my own boss and work the hours I want to work (and that is anytime that a client asks at the moment) and have freedom.

The downside is that I have only really been up and running for a month since I qualified and I have not earnt very much at all.

I am only saying this as I could not have done this without financial backing from my partner (i.e. paying all the bills until I am earning properly) and having savings that have seen me through. Saying that, things are picking up. Also, having recently qualified so I do get probs with nails coming off etc so still in the learning stage that you are probably not in as you have more than likely gone through that bit and have more experience.

Not sure if this has helped

oh and just to say its the best thing I have done in my life with regards work, I am happier now than in any job I have ever done so thats the main thing and I have hope and positivity on my side that I am sure things will work out and fine

Good luck by the way and wishing you all the best
cxxx

oh and just to say its the best thing I have done in my life with regards work, I am happier now than in any job I have ever done so thats the main thing and I have hope and positivity on my side that I am sure things will work out and fine

Good luck by the way and wishing you all the best
cxxx

Thanks for your view on this! I am stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I did my training last year and started working mobile (lots of flier drops) and working in a salon (when needed or one day per week so they could book appointments). I also have my own website which I had doen at the time (business came in from that too, much to my amazement).

I was offered a couple of things as a self employed nail tech in hairdressers/salons at the time but didn't quite feel right/they charged too much for the pleasure etc. Basically I needed to know I was going to recieve an income as I was just moving to a new house with my partner so ended up back in my old job (which I am very unhappy in).

I was offered a position in this 'well known' hairdressers last year and they're still keen to have me there on a self employed basis (they have never had a nail tech in their salon before). I need this to work for me as I have outgoings etc that I cannot expect my partner to pay for (ie. we own our house together).

I'm just stuck as I paid so much for the training, had been desperate to do it for years, saved to make sure I could support myself while I was training and now I feel like I'm throwing it all away....what do I do???

(Sorry for the essay, just need some gals/guys with experience to point me in the right direction or tell me I'm dreaming!).

Hi
I started renting a room in a hairdressers in January this year. The early days are very hard and you will not see any profit for a good while, I am only just covering my rent and products at the moment, and anything left over is going on advertising and business development.

I completely agree with sj, dont do "cheap" nails to try and draw the crowds in, it comes across as cheap and nasty, you can do special offers without looking cheap. I'm doing a buy one get one free offer. Basically, get one full set at full price and get another full set free. What people are doing is splitting the cost 50/50 with their friend, and so although this does loosely translate into half price nails, the way in which it comes across is different. Plus, it means I have the benefit of two clients spreading the word instead of one!

I gave up a job with a very high salary to do this, and have gone from that to nil income, but I am glad I did it. I know that if I put the hard work in now it will be worth it in the end, but I also know that it will take time. For me, the important things I want to focus on to reach that point where I'm earning money from it are:

Advertising
Giving myself a unique selling point that my local competition doesnt offer
keeping up to date with the industry
developing my skills and keeping up to date with ongoing training.

One other thing: When you are starting out and not earning anything, dont forget to claim any benefits that you are entitled to. You might be able to get working tax credit and council tax rebate. Without these I wouldnt have been able to afford to give up my job, its not as much as a wage, but it covers the mortgage (just!). And dont think you would be a benefit scrounger, I'll bet you have worked hard and paid your tax for a number of years, these benefits are there to help until your business gets on its feet.

Again, sj is spot on, dont go into this light heartedly (although it sounds like you've got that sussed), it will be hard work for no reward in the beginning, but if you can weather that I reckon its worth it

Good luck!

Hi
I started renting a room in a hairdressers in January this year. The early days are very hard and you will not see any profit for a good while, I am only just covering my rent and products at the moment, and anything left over is going on advertising and business development.

I completely agree with sj, dont do "cheap" nails to try and draw the crowds in, it comes across as cheap and nasty, you can do special offers without looking cheap. I'm doing a buy one get one free offer. Basically, get one full set at full price and get another full set free. What people are doing is splitting the cost 50/50 with their friend, and so although this does loosely translate into half price nails, the way in which it comes across is different. Plus, it means I have the benefit of two clients spreading the word instead of one!

I gave up a job with a very high salary to do this, and have gone from that to nil income, but I am glad I did it. I know that if I put the hard work in now it will be worth it in the end, but I also know that it will take time. For me, the important things I want to focus on to reach that point where I'm earning money from it are:

Advertising
Giving myself a unique selling point that my local competition doesnt offer
keeping up to date with the industry
developing my skills and keeping up to date with ongoing training.

One other thing: When you are starting out and not earning anything, dont forget to claim any benefits that you are entitled to. You might be able to get working tax credit and council tax rebate. Without these I wouldnt have been able to afford to give up my job, its not as much as a wage, but it covers the mortgage (just!). And dont think you would be a benefit scrounger, I'll bet you have worked hard and paid your tax for a number of years, these benefits are there to help until your business gets on its feet.

Again, sj is spot on, dont go into this light heartedly (although it sounds like you've got that sussed), it will be hard work for no reward in the beginning, but if you can weather that I reckon its worth it

Good luck!

Hi Chelle,

Thanks for your side of things. It's nice to know that other people have taken the plunge and gone for it from earning well to doing something they really want to do and not necessarily earning anything at first.

My biggest problem is that I just want to be happy in my job and I haven't been for a long long time. I think I could probably just about manage my funds as long as it doesn't put my partner in a position where he's struggling.

Your story is a real inspiration - thanks! :)

Hi Chelle,

Thanks for your side of things. It's nice to know that other people have taken the plunge and gone for it from earning well to doing something they really want to do and not necessarily earning anything at first.

My biggest problem is that I just want to be happy in my job and I haven't been for a long long time. I think I could probably just about manage my funds as long as it doesn't put my partner in a position where he's struggling.

Your story is a real inspiration - thanks! :)

If you are in a job that you dont enjoy, and the main motivation for you doing this is to be happy, I can highly recommend it! Thats pretty much what I did, and despite not earning any money and having to tighten our belts, I'm really happy and so glad I did it. To be honest with you I think you will do well, you are taking it seriously and considering all the important factors, I think if you did take the plunge you sound like you would put 100% into it and make it work. I think its when people decide to do it on a whim and not consider all the issues that they are less likely to be successful at it.
One other thing I would consider is the local area. How many nail salons are there in the immediate area? (dont be concerned if there are one or two, provided they're not next door!), also what type of hair salon is it? If their main client base is the blue rinse brigade people might not think to look there for nails so you might need to make your advertising on the shop front a bit more glaringly obvious!

If the salon is a well known one and has a good clientelle then take the job......you dont have the worry about building up your client base as they are already there sitting in the salon, its just a matter of converting the hair clients to nail clients. There are alot of people who dont have the time to go and have their hair done and then go to have their nails done so having them done at the same time saves them time and they leave the salon with visible results. The key to getting the clients to convert is by taking your service to them and not sitting at your desk waiting for them to come to you. At the start of your employment, give all the hairstylists a complimentary mani or pedi, they are experiencing your treatments and will tell their clients about you and your services. Walk round to each client and introduce yourself and give a complimentary nail consultation......give them your expert advice and what treatment you would prescribe to give the clients what they need/want. If it is enhancements then they will need to be done at your desk at a seperate time to hair, if it is a mani or pedi then you can do the treatment whilst their colour is proccessing or having a cut and finish with you sitting next to them on a stool. Working this way makes you visible to all clients walking through the door. Dont do complimentary treatments as this devalues your service, a simple consultation is all that is needed to sow the seed, even if they dont take you up on your offer at the time, they will at a later date if you leave a service menu with them as you finish your consultation. The enhancement market is tiny compared to the natural nail market and the natural nails will be your biggest earner for you so make sure you price your treatments to what you would like to be earning an hour. Hope this helps.
David

Only you can decide what is best for you, but here's my take on it . . .

I started mobile and after a couple of years had too many clients to fit in so worked from home instead so I could accommodate more people. Going self-employed was THE best thing I ever did (with the exception of having my children lol), my only outgoings are the products really, I don't do paid advertising any more. Working from home is obviously the more lucrative way to go (but you do need to market yourself viciously in the first place so that people know you are there lol).

I wish you the best of luck and hope you love it as much as I do. :hug:

I would take the chance if i would be really convinced that the work that i do would stand a chance in todays very competetive nailindustry.
I would ask myself...do my nails stay perfectly without lifting etc for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, do they look just as good or better then other nailtechs in the area and am i prepeared to take on some financial though months since it takes time to build up a client base to ensure a regular salery *even when you work in a bussy salon*

I would take the chance if i would be really convinced that the work that i do would stand a chance in todays very competetive nailindustry.
I would ask myself...do my nails stay perfectly without lifting etc for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, do they look just as good or better then other nailtechs in the area

This is a VERY good point Mieke!

I would also say, as always... you have to be prepared to work A LOT. Although you don't have clients, you have to be at the salon, you may get a walk-in and you have to show your face.

You have to agree with your family. THEY have to know how much you are going to work and that your salaries will be very low the first year, maybe more than that too.You need their support when you feel down, believe me, those times will come. And to the last, they also have to "support" you when you are having good times. Too often I see husbands that can't "deal with" the fact that their wives are busy business-women.

With that said, being self-employed is the best choice I have ever made. I really like the fact that I can decide everything myself. If I want a holiday, I just work my clients "around". If I don't have clients I can take a day off (as I only have regular clients that book to-three appointments ahead I don't need to be at the salon if I don't have clients).

I do all my accounts myself now, but the first 8 years I had an accountant. I would highly recommend that in the beginning.

C.

Thanks everyone - you have come up with some excellent points! Really helpful!

I needed the good and the bad points to give me food for thought as I really am not going to do this unless I give it my all.

My biggest worry is that it won't work. I am very ambitious and when I want something, I put everything into it to get it but still, there's always a chance it may not work.

I was thinking that maybe I could work part time to start with in another job to make sure I have some guaranteed money alongside doing nails and then when I build up my client base go for it full time. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Guys! :)

Hello Laura!!

I would be extremely Interested to know how this all worked out for you?

Xxx

Hello Laura!!

I would be extremely Interested to know how this all worked out for you?

Xxx
This thread is over 8 years old and the OP hasn't been seen since!

Latest posts

Back